+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Spousal Sponsorship] Am I considered a welfare recepient? + other Qs

americanado

Feb 22, 2017
Hello all,

I'm a Canadian citizen hoping to marry and sponsor my US fiance either this year or the next. My fiance and I have been in an LDR for 5 years. Our original plan would have put us in an LDR for 8 years. I'll be starting a paid co-op soon which can lead to employment after graduation (next year). There is no minimum income requirement, so I'm thinking to begin the process at the start my co-op. In order to qualify I must not be on welfare. My mother is on ODSP and lives in public housing. I'm fairly certain that I'm listed as a dependent adult since I'm a full-time student and she always needs a letter of enrollment every year.

Am I considered to be on welfare if I'm listed as a dependent adult? If yes, how long would I have to wait to apply after I change this status?

In lieu of personal income statements (in case things don't go exactly as I plan), would letters of financial support from my father and/or an employment plan be sufficient proof that we intend to live without government assistance?

Thanks!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
americanado said:
Hello all,

I'm a Canadian citizen hoping to marry and sponsor my US fiance either this year or the next. My fiance and I have been in an LDR for 5 years. Our original plan would have put us in an LDR for 8 years. I'll be starting a paid co-op soon which can lead to employment after graduation (next year). There is no minimum income requirement, so I'm thinking to begin the process at the start my co-op. In order to qualify I must not be on welfare. My mother is on ODSP and lives in public housing. I'm fairly certain that I'm listed as a dependent adult since I'm a full-time student and she always needs a letter of enrollment every year.

Am I considered to be on welfare if I'm listed as a dependent adult? If yes, how long would I have to wait to apply after I change this status?

In lieu of personal income statements (in case things don't go exactly as I plan), would letters of financial support from my father and/or an employment plan be sufficient proof that we intend to live without government assistance?

Thanks!

Nope, no worries there. Your mother is just required to update the government on dependent and spouses. Nothing to do with your status. Regardless, disability does not count as welfare to IRCC. For instance, I successfully sponsored my husband while PWD (BC's version of ODSP).

Yes those proofs would work. You can also show proof of what your spouse intends to do (if she's in school or going for a job etc.).

americanado

Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for
Aquakitty said:
Nope, no worries there. Your mother is just required to update the government on dependent and spouses. Nothing to do with your status. Regardless, disability does not count as welfare to IRCC. For instance, I successfully sponsored my husband while PWD (BC's version of ODSP).

Yes those proofs would work. You can also show proof of what your spouse intends to do (if she's in school or going for a job etc.).
Thanks for replying. Good to know that ODSP doesn't count. However, Ontario Works counts. While I was between schools I was required to attend workshops and had a person assigned to me to check my progress. Or was that part of ODSP?

americanado

Feb 22, 2017
Actually, I found the answer to my own question. Not sure how to edit my previous reply, but I just want to leave this here in case someone else finds themselves asking the same questions.

For dependent adults with a parent on ODSP and have used OW services:
mcss.gov.on.ca/documents/en/mcss/social/directives/odsp/income_Support/2_1.pdf

"A dependent adult is required to comply with participation requirements under Ontario
Works. If a dependent adult fails to comply with participation requirements, ODSP
income support shall be reduced."

Guess this means my fiance and I can start our lives sooner than we thought. Yay!