+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal residency

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I immigrated to Vancouver as SW and sponsored my partner at the same time. We landed 9/24/08, stayed approx. 6 months, then returned to the U.S.

My partner would still like to return to Canada so that his residency doesn't expire. I need to stay in the U.S. for the time being. I have heard that my partner's residency would expire when mine expires. Is that true? In other words, if he meets the 730 day requirement but I do not, will he still lose residency?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaiguy said:
I immigrated to Vancouver as SW and sponsored my partner at the same time. We landed 9/24/08, stayed approx. 6 months, then returned to the U.S.

My partner would still like to return to Canada so that his residency doesn't expire. I need to stay in the U.S. for the time being. I have heard that my partner's residency would expire when mine expires. Is that true? In other words, if he meets the 730 day requirement but I do not, will he still lose residency?

Thanks.
As long as he meets the 2/5 years by returning to Canada, he will maintain his PR even if you lose yours.

sushid0c

Star Member
Oct 25, 2007
PMM said:
Hi

As long as he meets the 2/5 years by returning to Canada, he will maintain his PR even if you lose yours.
hi .............please give answers

if one partner maintains PR status and other loses PR become of not fulfilling residency requirements

a) how can the other partner then come back to canada ????
will she need to be sponsored or does she have to apply for a new PR visa or are there any other
alternatives

valuable suggestions needed

regards
sushidoc

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If one partner loses the PR and the other doesn't, the one partner who keeps it can sponsor the other one. A PR needs to be living in Canada to sponsor a partner.