+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal PR. No AOR yet. When to exchange driver’s licence?

aaaa1111

Mar 31, 2017
Hi.

Applied for spousal Permanent Residence for wife. Still waiting for AOR. Is it worth while to exchange driver’s licence now, or wait till later? Live in Ontario.

Thanks.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Your situation brings to light a disconnect between government agencies in Canada. Assuming rules in ON are similar to BC, you technically have to exchange your DL after 30 days of moving into the province. My Inland PR application took more than a year, and IRCC suggested I not exchange my DL until the application was approved, so I maintained my US DL the entire processing time. Once my application was approved I exchanged my DL without issue.

So, to answer your question, assuming her current DL will remain valid the entire processing time, I'd suggest you wait until the application is approved. If your wife gets pulled over in the meantime she could simply explain the reason she's waiting to exchange her DL.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your situation brings to light a disconnect between government agencies in Canada. Assuming rules in ON are similar to BC, you technically have to exchange your DL after 30 days of moving into the province. My Inland PR application took more than a year, and IRCC suggested I not exchange my DL until the application was approved, so I maintained my US DL the entire processing time. Once my application was approved I exchanged my DL without issue.

So, to answer your question, assuming her current DL will remain valid the entire processing time, I'd suggest you wait until the application is approved. If your wife gets pulled over in the meantime she could simply explain the reason she's waiting to exchange her DL.
Makes sense, but since ICBC is the agency (in B.C.) that requires the driver to exchange their valid DL, they may not care that a person is at the mercy of IRCC to work faster. :)

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Makes sense, but since ICBC is the agency (in B.C.) that requires the driver to exchange their valid DL, they may not care that a person is at the mercy of IRCC to work faster. :)
Actually, when I exchanged my DL they didn't ask me how long I'd been in the province - or any questions, for that matter. ICBC simply didn't care. The police and courts, on the other hand, seem to be the enforcers of these type of rules.

If the OP's wife exchanges her DL within 30 days of her approved PR application she'll most likely be fine.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just my opinion, but if she is currently here as a temporary resident (TRV), she’s not required to exchange her license until she has a more permanent status (PR, WP, SV).