+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit

pratik.farmers

Nov 7, 2021
Hi All - I need urgent clarification in help.
I am currently in closed work permit and my current company have the LMIA. The same company has raised my wife's spousal open work permit which is underway and it is still in progress and she is yet to come to Canada.
Now, in the meantime I have got another job offer and they are ready to raise for me another work permit.

My questions here are -
1. Does my wife's spousal open work permit becomes illegal as soon as new company raises for my work permit ?
2. If I go ahead and join the new company, and my wife gets her spousal open work permit which was raised by my old employer - will she have issues getting her visa stamped or will there be any issues in port of entry when she is coming to Canada?

Kindly help to clarify this as I am in mid of taking an important career decision.
Note- ANY LINK TO CIC/IRCC SITE RELEVANT TO ABOVE QUESTIONS WILL HELP.

pratik.farmers

Nov 7, 2021
I am currently in closed work permit and my current company have the LMIA. The same company has raised my wife's spousal open work permit which is underway and it is still in progress and she is yet to come to Canada.
Now, in the meantime I have got another job offer and they are ready to raise for me another work permit.

My questions here are -
1. Does my wife's spousal open work permit becomes illegal as soon as new company raises for my work permit ?
2. If I go ahead and join the new company, and my wife gets her spousal open work permit which was raised by my old employer - will she have issues getting her visa stamped or will there be any issues in port of entry when she is coming to Canada?

Kindly help to clarify this as I am in mid of taking an important career decision.
Can any reply to it please??

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

My questions here are -

So you have a new LMIA and are applying for a new work permit. Your wife’s open work permit is not tied to an employer but you should update her file with your new LMIA and work permit.

pratik.farmers

Nov 7, 2021
So you have a new LMIA and are applying for a new work permit. Your wife’s open work permit is not tied to an employer but you should update her file with your new LMIA and work permit.
Thanks for the Info, this is something which I needed, so its just about updating the information in her file, it will not stop her process which is being in progress and with IRCC ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the Info, this is something which I needed, so its just about updating the information in her file, it will not stop her process which is being in progress and with IRCC ?
As long as you are still working in a job with NOC 0, A or B it should be fine but you must update IRCC about any changes.