+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit - Spouse of skilled worker of the 2 year ICE working holiday program.

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
The listed processing time for the TRV is 134 days right now. I would recommend applying six months in advance since processing times are slow right now and it's hard to say if they will be faster by the time you apply.

She has to wait for the SOWP to be approved and issued before she can start working.
Thanks a lot. As for the SOWP plan that we have, do you have any suggestions based on your knowledge? It seems like this could still be a long process.

Are 3 paystubs really necessary? Or is one enough? Does that mean I need to be working for 3 months before we can apply?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She can share my bank statement? She is from Thailand yes. She will stay with me when I'm in Canada. I have an approved IEC. He reason to visit is to be with me.

I plan to get the job while outside by doing online interviews, then move and start the job. Once I get the first payslip then we will apply for the SOWP.
This is a long process for your partner. If newly married, her funds will carry more weight and she needs to show she can afford to visit Canada including airfare/health insurance. She needs to show ties to Thailand so job offer with approved leave, business, properties, investments etc. You are not a PR or citizen so her reasons for travel must be valid. A TRV is not guaranteed.

You may not get a job offer before landing.

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
This is a long process for your partner. If newly married, her funds will carry more weight and she needs to show she can afford to visit Canada including airfare/health insurance. She needs to show ties to Thailand so job offer with approved leave, business, properties, investments etc. You are not a PR or citizen so her reasons for travel must be valid. A TRV is not guaranteed.

You may not get a job offer before landing.
Can I use my funds to support her and as evidence in her TRV submission? The plan is to fly together to Canada, me on my IEC and her on her visitor visa. Then after 1 month of me working (?), apply for the SOWP. If we do this all validly, is could take 5 months to get after we arrive in Canada.. I will only move over when I have secured a job in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot. As for the SOWP plan that we have, do you have any suggestions based on your knowledge? It seems like this could still be a long process.

Are 3 paystubs really necessary? Or is one enough? Does that mean I need to be working for 3 months before we can apply?
Pay is normally bi-weekly so it would be a six week wait before you can apply. To the best of my knowledge 3 paystubs is mandatory in the document checklist. You need to make sure you provide everything in the checklist.

For the SOWP processing time, you're likely looking at 3 months (could be more of course). Make sure you apply via paper and not online. For whatever reason, paper applications are generally processed faster.

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can I use my funds to support her and as evidence in her TRV submission? The plan is to fly together to Canada, me on my IEC and her on her visitor visa. Then after 1 month of me working (?), apply for the SOWP. If we do this all validly, is could take 5 months to get after we arrive in Canada.. I will only move over when I have secured a job in advance.
Joint account would be better.

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
Joint account would be better.
Thanks a lot for all the information.

Have you any tips based on our story to ensure that we she gets the TRV?

I have an uncle (surgeon) who lives in Canada who could write a story saying that we are visiting together (as our honeymoon). Does it look bad in her submission for TRV that she is recently married? Or should we do it when she is single? Just want to make sure that we get the TRV...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks a lot for all the information.

Have you any tips based on our story to ensure that we she gets the TRV?

I have an uncle (surgeon) who lives in Canada who could write a story saying that we are visiting together (as our honeymoon). Does it look bad in her submission for TRV that she is recently married? Or should we do it when she is single? Just want to make sure that we get the TRV...
She needs to show strong ties to her home country and proof of return, funds and travel history. An uncle, who is not her relative (does she even know him?), doesn't add to her profile especially saying you are visiting together. IRCC will know you have an IEC permit.

She can apply while single so she needs to show funds (cash in the bank to support a visit), ties to home country (job letter with approved leave), travel history and reason to visit.

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
She needs to show strong ties to her home country and proof of return, funds and travel history. An uncle, who is not her relative (does she even know him?), doesn't add to her profile especially saying you are visiting together. IRCC will know you have an IEC permit.

She can apply while single so she needs to show funds (cash in the bank to support a visit), ties to home country (job letter with approved leave), travel history and reason to visit.
She has family in Thailand, but no job. Her family has a local business which she can work in/say she will inherit. She has just spent 1 year in the USA as an au pair and is returning to Thailand in Jan.

What's wrong with the IRCC knowing I have a IEC permit? She does not have enough funds in her own bank account. But I have funds in mine, maybe I can transfer that into a joint bank account for the both of us.

So you're saying its better if she applies for TRV when she is single? The whole point is that we want to be together, our relationship is genuine and we would like for her to get the SOWP. I know you're not immigration but it sounds like these applications are dealt with harshly? From the online stats, it seems around 75% get TRV so maybe not that bad...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She has family in Thailand, but no job. Her family has a local business which she can work in/say she will inherit. She has just spent 1 year in the USA as an au pair and is returning to Thailand in Jan.

What's wrong with the IRCC knowing I have a IEC permit? She does not have enough funds in her own bank account. But I have funds in mine, maybe I can transfer that into a joint bank account for the both of us.

So you're saying its better if she applies for TRV when she is single? The whole point is that we want to be together, our relationship is genuine and we would like for her to get the SOWP. I know you're not immigration but it sounds like these applications are dealt with harshly? From the online stats, it seems around 75% get TRV so maybe not that bad...
It is a positive thing that she has a valid US visa, as the US and Canada share immigration information. That works in her favour. The issue if you say that you are on a work permit, then IRCC will believe she is not coming to “visit” for a couple of weeks but to live and then try to work in Canada.

It is up to you whether for her to apply now while single or apply while married. Others can comment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

75% of applicants from Thailand get TRVs. I would be surprised if that was the case. In general it is difficult for spouses to get TRVs if their spouse is in Canada as a citizen, PR or under some sort of temporary permit because they aren’t usually true visitors. In your case your future soouse should be applying for an OWP not TRV if she wants to remain in Canada with you even if she has no plans on working. Given that she hasn’t been living and working in Thailand for an extended amount of times her ties to Thailand aren’t very strong so it will be tough to prove that she is only going to Canada to visit you not to live with you. Unfortunately you should be thinking of what your plan will be if she does get her TRV denied. The fact that she traveled to the US is helpful but not sure if it will overcome the other concerns. All you can really do is wait and see if she gets the TRV. The fact that you will be spending 5 months together in Thailand helps a lot when it comes to proof that you are in a real relationship.

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
75% of applicants from Thailand get TRVs. I would be surprised if that was the case. In general it is difficult for spouses to get TRVs if their spouse is in Canada as a citizen, PR or under some sort of temporary permit because they aren’t usually true visitors. In your case your future soouse should be applying for an OWP not TRV if she wants to remain in Canada with you even if she has no plans on working. Given that she hasn’t been living and working in Thailand for an extended amount of times her ties to Thailand aren’t very strong so it will be tough to prove that she is only going to Canada to visit you not to live with you. Unfortunately you should be thinking of what your plan will be if she does get her TRV denied. The fact that she traveled to the US is helpful but not sure if it will overcome the other concerns. All you can really do is wait and see if she gets the TRV. The fact that you will be spending 5 months together in Thailand helps a lot when it comes to proof that you are in a real relationship.
Thanks a lot and to Naturgrl too for all this information.

We really need to be together. Could you share what you would do in my/our position in order to get the TRV and then subsequent SOWP? I think you both know a lot about our situation now.

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
It is a positive thing that she has a valid US visa, as the US and Canada share immigration information. That works in her favour. The issue if you say that you are on a work permit, then IRCC will believe she is not coming to “visit” for a couple of weeks but to live and then try to work in Canada.

It is up to you whether for her to apply now while single or apply while married. Others can comment.
I watched this video (which talks about applying for a spouse visitor visa):

It seems straightforward and gives some comfort to me. Do you think its ok to give them a story about our relationship, in particular that we were long distance but that we want to be together which is why we want the visitor visa? We can show them that we have left each other in the past and not been together and that that is the plan as well once her visitor visa expires. I don't know the success rate for spouse visitor visa though.

I'm an actuary so I'm hoping that also stands in my favour given its a respected skilled job.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks a lot and to Naturgrl too for all this information.

We really need to be together. Could you share what you would do in my/our position in order to get the TRV and then subsequent SOWP? I think you both know a lot about our situation now.
How long is your IEC? Is it one or two years? If one year, then you need to be working from day one of your IEC. Getting a job offer before entering Canada can be difficult without actually being in Canada and having your work permit. Some employers will want proof you are in Canada with SIN number. You can’t work without a SIN. If one year IEC, you are under time constraints because IRCC will not process SOWP if your permit is expiring within 6 months. Expect 4-5 months processing of SOWP.

stevenr11

Sep 30, 2022
How long is your IEC? Is it one or two years? If one year, then you need to be working from day one of your IEC. Getting a job offer before entering Canada can be difficult without actually being in Canada and having your work permit. Some employers will want proof you are in Canada with SIN number. You can’t work without a SIN. If one year IEC, you are under time constraints because IRCC will not process SOWP if your permit is expiring within 6 months. Expect 4-5 months processing of SOWP.
It's for 2 years. Can I obtain a SIN from outside Canada? I have my letter of introduction for the work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It's for 2 years. Can I obtain a SIN from outside Canada? I have my letter of introduction for the work permit.
You can only get SIN once you are in Canada and apply with your work permit. LOE is not your work permit. You get your work permit when you land. You then get your SIN at a Service Canada office.