+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) Extension

crackvisa

Sep 12, 2018
I am in Canada on SOWP which expiring next month (October) and it is due for extension. My spouse's employer specific WP extension is filed early this week. According to CIC processing times it's going to take upto 56 days to make a decision on my spouse's application so I cant wait to file for my extension until then. So I am planning to apply for extension with my spouse's extension application acknowledgement issued by IRCC. Is this acceptable? Please share your experience if some one has taken this route. Appreciate your help.

Last edited:

NewAspire

Sep 22, 2017
Canada
I am also in the same situation, recently called CIC and they said we need to write a letter of explanation to Visa officer along with the Spousal Open Work Permit Extension Application.

Letter of explanation should state:
1. Reasons for applying extension without spouses extension letter
2. Attach the reference or acknowledgement letter of spouse extension
3. Attach all supporting documents for OWP extension.

NewAspire

Sep 22, 2017
Canada
All the best!

Please keep me posted I am yet to apply mine.

As soon as you get your spouse's extension, you need to download a form from CIC to append additional documents into your application.

MeghaThimmappa

Aug 2, 2017
Hi All,

Could you please let know what you selected for the below question for SOWP extension?

I am applying for one or more of the following:
* Restore my status as a worker
* Apply for a work permit with the same employer * Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
* Get a new temporary resident permit (for inadmissible applicants only)
Thanks,
Megha

vubq123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2018
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
09-05-2020
Hi All,

Could you please let know what you selected for the below question for SOWP extension?

* Apply for a work permit with the same employer * Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
Thanks,
Megha
Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer

Reactions: Miracle2018

NewAspire

Sep 22, 2017
Canada
Hi All,

Thanks,
Megha
Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer

Chandurao

Jul 24, 2018
Hello
Shouldn't we select option 2 i.e. apply for WP with same employer as we had already applied for work permit once?
I’m also applying for Sowp extension, have a question what I need to select in “ original purposes of coming to Canada”

Either need select work or other and mention to live with my spouse.
Please help.