+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit issue if international student is taking online classes from other country

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am writing this post to know whether an international student need to be in Canada to apply for spousal open work permit for her spouse. I can see that there is demand to send student permit while applying for spousal open work permit, however, I don't see any information on whether it is mandatory for an international student to stay in Canada while spouse application is in progress.

As due to covid situation, universities are giving online classes only, so would it be good idea to just go to Canada to collect Student permit and return in few days and apply for spousal open work permit from resident country? Could this be a concern in decision making for them?

Also, I would be really glad if you can provide link or document about documents checklist on spousal open work permit application. It would be really helpful for me in makinh sure that I am making my application strong.

Thank you in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Amit

Jagan1992

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am writing this post to know whether an international student need to be in Canada to apply for spousal open work permit for her spouse. I can see that there is demand to send student permit while applying for spousal open work permit, however, I don't see any information on whether it is mandatory for an international student to stay in Canada while spouse application is in progress.

As due to covid situation, universities are giving online classes only, so would it be good idea to just go to Canada to collect Student permit and return in few days and apply for spousal open work permit from resident country? Could this be a concern in decision making for them?

Also, I would be really glad if you can provide link or document about documents checklist on spousal open work permit application. It would be really helpful for me in makinh sure that I am making my application strong.

Kind regards,
Amit
Requireent is to be a full time student ,many students who had study permit before this covid started can complete 50 percent of course online provided they must complete the remaining 50 percent in canada so if you got study permit after the covid and course is valid for 1 year then you can complete 100 percent online but if you have 2 year or more than you can study online till april 30/2021. Sowp can be applied from india if you submit application along with your spouse study permit but if you want to apply later on then you need study permit as well as current enrollment letter so overall you should apply once your spouse lands there and if your spouse wants to come back after applying then its your personal choice

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. Course is starting in Jan 2021 and it's 2 years course. My wife has got student visa and collected enrollment letter too. She has to travel to Canada to get her student permit. However, as first term is totally online so we are thinking that she can come back till end of first term if it doesn't impact sowp application with her student permit.

Would you mind sharing any documents checklist or any online link for sowp if possible, please? The one on Canadian govt site is generic so just want to make sure we got everything with us before applying sowp. Thanks again. Really appreciate you help.

Kind regards,
Amit

Jagan1992

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. Course is starting in Jan 2021 and it's 2 years course. My wife has got student visa and collected enrollment letter too. She has to travel to Canada to get her student permit. However, as first term is totally online so we are thinking that she can come back till end of first term if it doesn't impact sowp application with her student permit.

Would you mind sharing any documents checklist or any online link for sowp if possible, please? The one on Canadian govt site is generic so just want to make sure we got everything with us before applying sowp. Thanks again. Really appreciate you help.

Kind regards,
Amit
Spouse enrollment letter
Acceptance letter
1st year fee paid receipt
Her academics
Part time job letter or paystub of working
Bank statement (optional)
Spouse
Marriage certificate
Marriage pics and whatsapp chat screenshots
Casual pics
Your academics
Bank statement for 6 months
CA evaluation report of assets
Bank balance certificate
If doing job then salary slips as well as experience letter
Funds between 5 to 7 lakh minimum without any unexplained deposits
Last 2 years ITR
White background photograph

These are my recommended docs , some people on forum may or may not agree with me but in current scenario these all documents are 100 percent reqd

Reactions: Amit_T

Chakravarty

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

Kind regards,
Amit
Hi Amit..I am in similar situation..when are u planning to apply for SOWP

Chakravarty

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
I actually checked with my university immigration advisor..she told the student does not need to enter Canada in order to apply SOWP..I am not sure what to do

ShaUCan

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
I actually checked with my university immigration advisor..she told the student does not need to enter Canada in order to apply SOWP..I am not sure what to do
Status requirement is to be a full time student , to be eligible for applying sowp. However, student being in canada will make the application strong and have higher chances of approval than the otherway

Reactions: Chakravarty

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Spouse enrollment letter
Acceptance letter
Her academics
Spouse
Marriage certificate
Casual pics
Your academics
Bank balance certificate
Last 2 years ITR

These are my recommended docs , some people on forum may or may not agree with me but in current scenario these all documents are 100 percent reqd
Hi there,

Thank you very much for providing the list. It is really helpful. I've all of these documents with me apart from any property in India. I am working in UK for last 4 years, so me and my wife have around CAD 88K in our bank balance including Savings and FD in India and UK account. Do you think showing this much fund would be good enough?

Also, I heard you nees to show good home ties and good intend to.leave Canada in letters you provide with your application. Could you please let me here to know what information should be provided to make case strong and as I said I don't have any property in India so how can I assure my home ties in my application? Any sample letter would be really helpful. Thanks again. Your help is really appreciated here. Awaiting for your response.

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Status requirement is to be a full time student , to be eligible for applying sowp. However, student being in canada will make the application strong and have higher chances of approval than the otherway
That's right, it is required to be Full time student. Along with that you need to provide enrollment letter from your university which in my spouse university only provided when we told them about her intended travel date and accomodation details in Canada. Also, I got to know that you need to provide SP also when you apply for SOWP which you can get only when student travel to Canada. So in brief, student should travel to Canada to get SP just to avoid any rejection for SOWP.

afreshai

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
That's right, it is required to be Full time student. Along with that you need to provide enrollment letter from your university which in my spouse university only provided when we told them about her intended travel date and accomodation details in Canada. Also, I got to know that you need to provide SP also when you apply for SOWP which you can get only when student travel to Canada. So in brief, student should travel to Canada to get SP just to avoid any rejection for SOWP.
Hi Amit,
So finally what have you decided as I am in the similar situation. I landed in September and applied my husband SOWP in October. But since now everything is online I am thinking of going to india and attend classes till April. I don’t know if I can do that or no?

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023
You can apply for SOWP with your spouse's Port of Entry Letter. Your spouse don't need to be in Canada. This rule existed even before Covid.

Reactions: Tavia

afreshai

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Spouse enrollment letter
Acceptance letter
Her academics
Spouse
Marriage certificate
Casual pics
Your academics
Bank balance certificate
Last 2 years ITR

Hi Jagan,
Can U provide me with your email address??