+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit from Outside Canada?

bdeanjon

Feb 20, 2018
Hi, I have a question about applying for an Open Work Permit.

A quick run through of my situation. My wife is a Canadian citizen who resides in Canada. I am an American who currently resides in the U.S. (both moved back to our homes after living abroad). I am applying for a spousal visa and the check list reccomends applying for an Open Work Permit. I have spoken to immigration in Canada and have gotten some confusing answers about how to apply for an OWP.

Do I need to be INSIDE Canada in order to apply for an OWP?

The people at the Canadian Immigration offices have told me that I need to be in Canada on a visitor's visa in order to apply for this. As this can take a few months if I apply in Canada, I am worried about how to make ends meet till I get approved for the OWP. Is this information correct? The 1295e form is titled Application for Work Permit Made Outside Canada and they even have the option to choose an Open Work permit in the Type of Permit section. I am confused.

So, again, can I apply for an Open Work Permit from outside of Canada while applying for my spousal visa?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you apply inland you have to be in canada and remain in Canada. Inland spousal application allows you to apply for OWP where outland does not. Given that you need to work you will have to remain separated and apply for outland sponsorship until you get PR.

bdeanjon

Feb 20, 2018
Thank you for the information. Very helpful and now I understand.

Quick question though. You mentioned staying in Canada after I apply. Is that true? I was thinking of going to Canada and applying for the OWP an then head back to California until I got approved. Is that not possible? They won't let me visit home until I get approved for the OWP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are actually not supposed to leave Canada at all after filing your inland PR application until you get approved.