+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit for Indian applicant

Matheswaran

Jun 4, 2018
Hi,

My wife is getting a LMIA exempted visa and her company has applied for TRV for me. Once she receives the work permit, she'll travel to Canada to start her job. And, once I get my TR, I am planning to stay back in India and apply for Spousal open work permit.

My questions are,

1. What are the chances of receiving spousal open work permit? Any chances of rejection?
2. What's the typically timeline?
3. What are the documents should I be submitting? Wife's appointment letter, my bank balance? What else?
4. Should I wait for 3 months to get 3 payslip of my spouse and then apply for open work permit?
5. Any other points that I should be aware of? Be careful about?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My wife is getting a LMIA exempted visa and her company has applied for TRV for me. Once she receives the work permit, she'll travel to Canada to start her job. And, once I get my TR, I am planning to stay back in India and apply for Spousal open work permit.

My questions are,

1. What are the chances of receiving spousal open work permit? Any chances of rejection?
3. What are the documents should I be submitting? Wife's appointment letter, my bank balance? What else?
4. Should I wait for 3 months to get 3 payslip of my spouse and then apply for open work permit?
They should have applied for an SOWP originally not a TRV. TRV is much more likely to be refused.

Matheswaran

Jun 4, 2018
They should have applied for an SOWP originally not a TRV. TRV is much more likely to be refused.
Oh, the company she works for doesn't apply for SOWP. Btw, I got my TRV approved and sent my passport for stamping. We received individual letters that reads below.

"This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.

Passport requirements
• Please provide your passport or travel document, with a copy of this letter.
• There must be at least one blank page in your passport.
• Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
• Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.
Your passport must be received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada within 30 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application. Please ensure that a copy of this letter is included with your passport. "

Now, after I get this stamping, how long should I wait before applying for SOWP? And, has someone applied and got one?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh, the company she works for doesn't apply for SOWP. Btw, I got my TRV approved and sent my passport for stamping. We received individual letters that reads below.

"This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.

Passport requirements
• Please provide your passport or travel document, with a copy of this letter.
• There must be at least one blank page in your passport.
• Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
• Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.
Your passport must be received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada within 30 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application. Please ensure that a copy of this letter is included with your passport. "

Now, after I get this stamping, how long should I wait before applying for SOWP? And, has someone applied and got one?
What do you mean the company she works for doesn’t apply forSOWP? Somehow you got lucky because if your wife got a work permit the chances of you wanting to be a temporary visitor are extremely low and why most TRVs are refused. You also wasted time and could have applied for SOWP instead of the TRV. It was actually the correct permit to apply for.

Matheswaran

Jun 4, 2018
What do you mean the company she works for doesn’t apply forSOWP? Somehow you got lucky because if your wife got a work permit the chances of you wanting to be a temporary visitor are extremely low and why most TRVs are refused. You also wasted time and could have applied for SOWP instead of the TRV. It was actually the correct permit to apply for.
She works for TCS and we contacted them to ask if they can change the visa type to SOWP instead of TRV. But they said that they won't be able to do so instead asked me to do it after TRV stamping is done.

Sumanpreet$123

Star Member
Jun 12, 2019
Hello everyone

i want to apply for my spouse open work permit. Can you please suggest which is the best way to apply online or offline?

Garry21

Apr 25, 2018
Hello everyone

i want to apply for my spouse open work permit. Can you please suggest which is the best way to apply online or offline?
Apply online and you need to submit your marriage certificate and other proof of relationship with that and also wedding pictures. Make sure you have enough proof to prove genuine relationship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

My questions are,

1. No one can give you chances. Of course there is the possibility of refusal.

2. Processing times are posted on the IRCC website.

3. Follow the checklist.

4. If she holds a closed work permit, no, you don't need her payslips. If it is an open work permit, yes, she needs 3 payslips before you can apply.

Matheswaran

Jun 4, 2018
1. No one can give you chances. Of course there is the possibility of refusal.

2. Processing times are posted on the IRCC website.

3. Follow the checklist.

4. If she holds a closed work permit, no, you don't need her payslips. If it is an open work permit, yes, she needs 3 payslips before you can apply.
Thanks for this. The processing time currently says 5-6 weeks. I shall update this thread in 2 months.