+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit Extenstion

sulagna123

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am currently on Open Work Permit and my husband recently completed his studies and has applied for a Post Graduate Work Permit. My open work permit is going to expire in one month and I have to apply for an open work permit extension. My spouse has already applied for the PR where I am his dependent, so I wanted to confirm if I can apply for an open work permit extension based on our PR application as he has still not received his PGWP. Please help me!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,

I am currently on Open Work Permit and my husband recently completed his studies and has applied for a Post Graduate Work Permit. My open work permit is going to expire in one month and I have to apply for an open work permit extension. My spouse has already applied for the PR where I am his dependent, so I wanted to confirm if I can apply for an open work permit extension based on our PR application as he has still not received his PGWP. Please help me!!
No, you can't apply for an extension based on the PR app. You can apply based on his PGWP only if he has a skilled job and 3 payslips.

sulagna123

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
But there is one option now where you can apply for open work permit extension if your spouse has applied for Pr. He has skilled job and more than 3 payslips but he still has not received his PGWP. Have you checked this one where it says that you can apply for an open work permit based on the first approval in PR? Pls find the photo attached here:

sulagna123

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
These are the conditions written in the website :

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

sulagna123

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
I should rather frame my question this way, my husband is on implied status as he is waiting for his Post Graduate Work Permit. Can I apply for my open work permit extension while he is on implied status?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
These are the conditions written in the website :

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

I should rather frame my question this way, my husband is on implied status as he is waiting for his Post Graduate Work Permit. Can I apply for my open work permit extension while he is on implied status?
This isn't new. Note the use of the term "may be eligible". You are not eligible based on his PR app. Whether you are eligible depends on his current status.

As long as he has a skilled job and 3 payslips, yes, you can apply for an OWP. It would be based on his PGWP app, not the PR app.

sulagna123

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. For the pr situation, we have already received the ITA and submitted all the documents. So does that still mean we are not eligible?

And secondly, so he has already applied for PGWP but on implied status as he is waiting for the decision. He has 3 payslips and a skilled job. So I can apply for my open work permit extension even if he has not received his PGWP. Please let me know if i have understood the information you gave me correctly.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. For the pr situation, we have already received the ITA and submitted all the documents. So does that still mean we are not eligible?

And secondly, so he has already applied for PGWP but on implied status as he is waiting for the decision. He has 3 payslips and a skilled job. So I can apply for my open work permit extension even if he has not received his PGWP. Please let me know if i have understood the information you gave me correctly.
If he has received AOR, he is eligible for a BOWP. As a dependent, you aren't eligible for anything just based on his PR app.

Yes, you can apply for an OWP. Include proof of his PGWP app.

sulagna123

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Okay that’s awesome! But I don’t see this category anywhere on the website where it is mentioned that I can apply for an open work permit extension while he is waiting for his pgwp. Can you please help me where will I get this option?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay that’s awesome! But I don’t see this category anywhere on the website where it is mentioned that I can apply for an open work permit extension while he is waiting for his pgwp. Can you please help me where will I get this option?
You are applying as the spouse of a skilled worker. There is no special option.

sulagna123

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hi,

Also today for my PR application, I received a letter saying that I have to submit my biometric and for that I have to leave Canada. I have a usa visitor visa so can I go to USA and do my biometric?