+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit after getting married in Canada with work permit holder

sshappy

Jan 18, 2020
Hello Forum Members,

I recently came to Canada (2nd visit) on Business-visitor visa. My girlfriend is living in Canada and working with NOC-B job. She pursued her masters and then got work permit.

We have years long relationship from back in India. Now we got married after I came to Canada.

Now I want to apply for Spousal open work permit at Border to get it instantly without waiting 2-3 months. We have Canadian marriage certificate, old pictures, wife's paystabs, financial statements, etc.

Could you suggest me is it safe to go there. I am afraid of refusal or anything worrst.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Forum Members,

I recently came to Canada (2nd visit) on Business-visitor visa. My girlfriend is living in Canada and working with NOC-B job. She pursued her masters and then got work permit.

We have years long relationship from back in India. Now we got married after I came to Canada.

Now I want to apply for Spousal open work permit at Border to get it instantly without waiting 2-3 months. We have Canadian marriage certificate, old pictures, wife's paystabs, financial statements, etc.

Could you suggest me is it safe to go there. I am afraid of refusal or anything worrst.
You can try but as you require a TRV, you don't actually qualify to apply at a POE.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TRV - Does it mean visitor visa. I have Business-visitor (B-1) visa valid upto 2028
Yes. The fact that you have a TRV doesn't matter. Technically, only visa-exempt people can apply for a work permit at a POE.

sshappy

Jan 18, 2020
Yes. The fact that you have a TRV doesn't matter. Technically, only visa-exempt people can apply for a work permit at a POE.
But I know a person who applied in this way. He told me that you can do flagpole at US border even without US visa and then go to canada border service office for work permit application.

So could you help me to validate my profile. I mean the way I'm applying for it (getting married in Canada....)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But I know a person who applied in this way. He told me that you can do flagpole at US border even without US visa and then go to canada border service office for work permit application.

So could you help me to validate my profile. I mean the way I'm applying for it (getting married in Canada....)
As I said, you can try but as you technically don't qualify, you may be refused.

sshappy

Jan 18, 2020
As I said, you can try but as you technically don't qualify, you may be refused.
technically means, on the ground of not allowed to do flagpole or the way i got married. Because if there is issue with crossing border then should i apply online?