+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal landing - border crossing

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Hello,

Hope all is well with you guys.

We got COPRs for my wife and child's applications, and are to do the landing formalities soon. They are both US citizens, but have been staying with me in Canada since April 2017 as temporary resident visitors. We were thinking of crossing the border into the US by road, do some shopping at the Costco in NY, and drive back for the landing process.

Question: would purchases for my wife and child be exempt from duty since they are doing their landing, or not since they were with me since April last year? I am confused as when I read the CBSA website , I feel their purchases will not be exempt; however, when I followed up with CBSA, they pointed me to Border Information Service (BIS), who confirmed on the phone they will be considered first time settlers, and will be exempt from duty.

Any guidance you can provide will be appreciated!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hello,

Hope all is well with you guys.

We got COPRs for my wife and child's applications, and are to do the landing formalities soon. They are both US citizens, but have been staying with me in Canada since April 2017 as temporary resident visitors. We were thinking of crossing the border into the US by road, do some shopping at the Costco in NY, and drive back for the landing process.

Question: would purchases for my wife and child be exempt from duty since they are doing their landing, or not since they were with me since April last year? I am confused as when I read the CBSA website , I feel their purchases will not be exempt; however, when I followed up with CBSA, they pointed me to Border Information Service (BIS), who confirmed on the phone they will be considered first time settlers, and will be exempt from duty.

Any guidance you can provide will be appreciated!
The only items exempt from duty and taxes are ones they're importing that they previously owned. New items/food purchased at Costco will follow the regular duty exemption rules based on less than 24 hours/over 24 hours/over 48 hours away.

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks KBH.

We attempted to land as PR however unfortunately our attempt was unsuccessful. They allowed entry back to Canada but said my Wife and Son cannot land as PRs today because they have been residing on Temporary resident status and thus that does NOT make them "First time Settlers". The officer said that landing via border is for first time settlers. Can you guys advise if this is true?

We are really disappointed. The COPR clearly stated that there are 2 options to Land:- Option 1 - Pilot program - call the toll free #, get appointment at an inland IRCC office and do landing Option 2:- travel outside by air/land and seek re-entry.

We decided to chose option 2 however it did not work.

They also said that for Option 1 there is a backlog and it might take some time to get an appointment. We are supposed to travel to India in June and it take about 6-8 weeks to get PR card and were hoping to land today as PR.

Any feedback or tips to make our second attempt smother via Option 1 would be greatly appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks KBH.

We attempted to land as PR however unfortunately our attempt was unsuccessful. They allowed entry back to Canada but said my Wife and Son cannot land as PRs today because they have been residing on Temporary resident status and thus that does NOT make them "First time Settlers". The officer said that landing via border is for first time settlers. Can you guys advise if this is true?

We are really disappointed. The COPR clearly stated that there are 2 options to Land:- Option 1 - Pilot program - call the toll free #, get appointment at an inland IRCC office and do landing Option 2:- travel outside by air/land and seek re-entry.

We decided to chose option 2 however it did not work.

They also said that for Option 1 there is a backlog and it might take some time to get an appointment. We are supposed to travel to India in June and it take about 6-8 weeks to get PR card and were hoping to land today as PR.

Any feedback or tips to make our second attempt smother via Option 1 would be greatly appreciated.
They might be lucky. It might take longer than 6-8 weeks and then in India, they must apply PRTD in order to return to Canada by air.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
Where are you located?

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
We are currently living in Canada - I am a landed PR, as of July 2014, but didn't move immediately. I relocated to Toronto in April 2017 with my wife and child (both US citizens). Applied for their Canadian PR in July 2017, and got COPRs in Jan 2018. The letter I received with COPR stated we had 2 options with completing the "landing formality" -

a) appointment at a CIC office location
b) re-enter through a port of entry - either airport, or border crossing

we chose #b since we wanted to shop for a few things across the border.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
We are currently living in Canada - I am a landed PR, as of July 2014, but didn't move immediately. I relocated to Toronto in April 2017 with my wife and child (both US citizens). Applied for their Canadian PR in July 2017, and got COPRs in Jan 2018. The letter I received with COPR stated we had 2 options with completing the "landing formality" -

a) appointment at a CIC office location
b) re-enter through a port of entry - either airport, or border crossing

we chose #b since we wanted to shop for a few things across the border.
My husband did his landing at an office in Ottawa. It was super easy. If you can travel there for the landing I do recommend it.

Ottawa works a little differently than most offices. They have specific dates and time throughout the month when they do landings and it is done on a first come/first serve basis. I would suggest to call the CIC call centre and ask them when the next landing date is and see if you can take the trip up.

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
ok thanks for the suggestion. It's terrible though that CIC doesn't make the effort to call this out in their COPR letters. I love Canada, and a lot of things Canadian, but several experiences with government agencies to date give the impression there is A LOT of room for improvement (also true of ALL other government agencies I have dealt with :p )

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ok thanks for the suggestion. It's terrible though that CIC doesn't make the effort to call this out in their COPR letters. I love Canada, and a lot of things Canadian, but several experiences with government agencies to date give the impression there is A LOT of room for improvement (also true of ALL other government agencies I have dealt with :p )
This was a mistake by CBSA. Your family should have been allowed to land. There is no "first time settlers" rule.

Reactions: lpit and KBH

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
I asked why this 'rule' (introduced in June 2017 according to the officer) was not stated on our COPR letter - and his response was "CIC wouldnt know coz they are a different agency!"

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
I asked why this 'rule' (introduced in June 2017 according to the officer) was not stated on our COPR letter - and his response was "CIC wouldnt know coz they are a different agency!"
I have to guess you crossed in Southern Ontario and they viewed it as you trying to “flagpole” to land. Certain border crossings are only allowing this Tuesday’s-Thursday’s and sometimes they’re snarky and won’t let you do it at all. If not, then I have no idea what they are talking about. It would help if you share which border crossing.

At the very busy border crossings they have implemented this policy and will tell you to schedule a landing appointment if you’re already living in Canada.

Reactions: lpit

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
I have to guess you crossed in Southern Ontario and they viewed it as you trying to “flagpole” to land. Certain border crossings are only allowing this Tuesday’s-Thursday’s and sometimes they’re snarky and won’t let you do it at all. If not, then I have no idea what they are talking about. It would help if you share which border crossing.

At the very busy border crossings they have implemented this policy and will tell you to schedule a landing appointment if you’re already living in Canada.
Yep. When my husband was ready for his landing I called CBSA to ask which of the two crossings that are close to me would be better. The agent on the phone told me that technically you aren’t supposed to do it that way and run the risk of getting turned away depending on the agent you get at the border. He was a little snarky.

We didn’t want to risk the 2hour drive with a baby just to be turned away so we did his landing at the Ottawa office. Very quick and painless.

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
We did, in fact, cross through the Niagara Falls border crossing. Why is this not called out on the COPR notice? And elsewhere, where it is mentioned, why is it called a pilot program, instead of the ONLY program and option available to those crossing the border at these locations? I don't get this, much less the snarkiness (Yes, the agent, I spoke with, also didnt give a sh*t about that we were driving back with a 14 month old).

Good job with shitty customer service CBSA! You are right down there with US immigrations now :p I called IRCC today, and was advised the Etobicoke office would be in touch with appointment availability.

Overall, this has been a pretty disappointing experience