+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Application for British Citizen - Inland or Outland ?

xtrmr2003

Aug 11, 2010
Hi All!

I am in Canada and currently hold a Permanent Resident status since 2016. My spouse is in UK and is a British citizen. We recently got married in UK. I would like to know whether an Inland or Outland spousal application would be the way to go for her spousal application?

Thanks everyone in advance :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All!

I am in Canada and currently hold a Permanent Resident status since 2016. My spouse is in UK and is a British citizen. We recently got married in UK. I would like to know whether an Inland or Outland spousal application would be the way to go for her spousal application?

Thanks everyone in advance :)
You can do either way. Obvious difference is that for inland, your spouse will be in Canada with you and potential to get work permit during the process. (Your spouse can join you under outland as well but no work permit).

So very generally, inland if being together throughout process is highest priority and work permit important; outland if spouse does not expect to join right away and you want to start process early and work permit not a priority. One minor point, for inland, generally better if the applicant does not travel much and expects to remain in Canada through the process (I believe there are rules that the application is considered abandoned if the applicant stops residing in Canada, not certain). I believe applicant in most provinces cannot get medical until work permit and/or working, but need to check for each province.

There are other differences, less major, but to start doing the research, hope this info helps.