+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship withdrawal? Conditional PR? What if spouse doesn't sign?

poeticaesthetic

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
Ponga said:
No, the change of address and/or city of destination, are irrelevant regarding your problem.

If he is asked and willingly lies about the fact that you are no longer together, he could be found to have misrepresented himself (as was mentioned in one of the earlier replies in this thread, by someone). This could lead to his PR being revoked, if he does land.

You have every right to blatantly lie to his mother, or anyone else except for CIC/CBSA, of course, while you stall for time to get an answer from CIC. You are the one that has the next 3 years of your life to be concerned about...financial, and otherwise.
He probably would lie. If he misrepresents though, will I get in trouble as well? I suppose all the more reason to do everything in my power to inform CIC and CBSA and the ports of entry of my intentions.

I do need to contact his Mom again. They are in Vancouver with him right now; I'm unsure whether they are together at the moment; she has been nice to me as always, she understands our separation and how difficult he can be, so she has been very supportive. However I don't mind lying to her if I need to. Regardless, I just received some texts from my husband (who has been very back and forth with me emotionally; even though our split was mutual he vacillates between being nice to me and unloading all his negative emotions on me). Last night, he texted me treating me like a human being. Today, he seems to be going insane and his texts stated that he has a lot of mixed feelings toward me and that he doesn't think he ever wants to talk to me again. And then he unloaded a bunch of hatred upon me and called me a bitch. And he expects to receive PR? No sir. I am going to do everything in my power to stop this. I wish I knew what to say to his Mom to make sure this doesn't happen. I am thinking of lying and saying it is done and that there's nothing they can do, but I am afraid that with him this angry he will still try to convince them to go to the border or something. So perhaps I should call the ports and tell them that our relationship has changed, that we have separated and that he is abusive towards me, that I requested a withdrawal with CIC (and see if they can access it). I am so fed up with all this, I wish I knew the best course of action at this stage.

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
What are his reasons for wanting to come to Canada so bad they he would lie and misrepresent to do so? He is an American citizen no?

And more experienced members, if its not a conditional PR he is given, what are the chances the PR could be revoked after he landed? If CIC was informed that the two were seperated at the time of landing would it be possible for them to remove his PR?

poeticaesthetic

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
canadausa#11 said:
What are his reasons for wanting to come to Canada so bad they he would lie and misrepresent to do so? He is an American citizen no?
Yes, he is an American citizen. He came to Canada mainly because he loved me (or so he thought) and we wanted to be together, and we decided to get married because not only did we feel that strongly about each other but it was the fastest/easiest way to get the ball rolling so that we didn't have to be apart. But we moved way too quickly and didn't know each other well enough it seems, even though I had known him for years and connected very strongly. I will NEVER do that again. The other reason I'm sure is that he always loved Canada when he had visited, which is why we decided to live here instead of the US (I also had spent much time in the US and had just arrived back in Canada, and was looking forward to being home). He is also afraid of the civil unrest and government corruption currently at hand in the US, and he thought Canada was more laid back, though now he's aware that we have stuff like this happening as well, albeit somewhat different. Still, he has been living here with me for 3 years, and it has become like a home to him, so I believe that's why he still wants to stay. Also, we still had wanted to be able to see each other and maybe work things out eventually, but at this rate there is NO WAY. So at this point he would basically just be taking advantage of me. I wish I could report immigration fraud or something but it wasn't a fraudulent relationship, it simply broke down, but now HE is taking advantage of the situation and abusing me and his privileges. I haven't done anything wrong. In fact, I have given him everything. My mistake.

poeticaesthetic

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
Does anyone know which email address I am supposed to use to inform CIC of changes to our relationship? They mention that they must be informed on the COPR, however they don't give contact information. I did receive an email from CPC-Ottawa after filing a change of address online, but I'm not sure if that is the one. They mention the need to inform them of similar things in the email, however they don't mention separation there, only marriage, divorce, etc. and say they require proof. The COPR does mention informing them of separation and does not say anything about requiring proof. So I'm not sure who I should be emailing (obviously I would call, but I can't do so until Monday, so I'm putting it in writing ASAP just because). I already submitted the information (both the request to withdraw my sponsorship application, and just now a change of relationship status) via the online form:

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

...but I would like to email directly as well for both instances, just in case. Can someone please tell me which email I should use?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can email that CPP-Ottawa one.

Also, there is no point in contacting ports of entry. If the withdrawal is not visible in their system, they can't refuse landing based on a phone call from a person who could be some random psycho with bad intenations towards the applicant.

poeticaesthetic

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
You can email that CPP-Ottawa one.

Also, there is no point in contacting ports of entry. If the withdrawal is not visible in their system, they can't refuse landing based on a phone call from a person who could be some random psycho with bad intenations towards the applicant.
Thanks. Are you saying that it definitely won't be visible in their system? I thought maybe there was a chance; that's why I was going to call. If not, it will at least be visible after it's processed I hope?

Anyway, I haven't had any luck reaching them so far. I tried to call the port of entry he would be most likely to go to (Douglas/Peace Arch) but it turns out I had the US phone number and the only phone number listed anywhere for the Canadian side is the 800 number for Canada Customs (which is the one the US people gave me), and of course their offices are closed. I have been unable to find a direct phone number online, and I just tried calling the Pacific Highway border crossing and got no answer. Is it always this difficult? Does anyone know of a direct phone number for Douglas/Peach Arch? If not now it would at least be nice to have one for later.

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wow I cannot believe what I am reading. Everything is wrong from top to bottom on the advice being given to poor lady on cancelling PR for her husband. A impulse decision are being taken based on assumptions which have no ground.
She may cancel PR of her husband. But he is still her husband. And what are reason to cancel PR. Oh he may take benefits from GOVT and GOVT will ask poor lady to pay back the money.
Well First you need to assume a young man will qualify for any benefits without doctor notes. If he is smart enough to qualify for any benefits on her dole He will be smart enough to ask for spouse support also on her dole during divorce proceeding. God give people some brain and strength Canada and US govt have full treaty on spouse & child support money tranfers.
I think this situation is about securing a job and attending marriage counceller lessons.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
jhutti said:
wow I cannot believe what I am reading. Everything is wrong from top to bottom on the advice being given to poor lady on cancelling PR for her husband. A impulse decision are being taken based on assumptions which have no ground.
She may cancel PR of her husband. But he is still her husband. And what are reason to cancel PR. Oh he may take benefits from GOVT and GOVT will ask poor lady to pay back the money.
Well First you need to assume a young man will qualify for any benefits without doctor notes. If he is smart enough to qualify for any benefits on her dole He will be smart enough to ask for spouse support also on her dole during divorce proceeding. God give people some brain and strength Canada and US govt have full treaty on spouse & child support money tranfers.
I think this situation is about securing a job and attending marriage counceller lessons.
This is not a marriage counselling forum but an immigration forum and from an immigration standpoint the sponsor has to cancel the application due to marriage breakdown. Based on information given she and her husband are no longer cohabitating nor have marriage like relations.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
poeticaesthetic said:
Thank you! Still wondering about the best way to go about the withdrawal as per my last post...web or phone? Is one faster? Time really is of the essence right now as I think he was planning to sign the papers this week/weekend. I found this contact link which says the call center agents cannot make decisions on applications: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

Does this mean that no matter how I submit my request for withdrawal I will have to wait on a decision? How long of a wait? Is it possible that he could still sign the papers while they're processing my request and get approved?
I'd call and see. If they tell you to send the form, that will have taken less time then sending the form and them saying you should have called. Or dot he form and then call XD

poeticaesthetic

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
jhutti said:
This marriage is beyond saving. He has abused me and threatened my safety. The only reason I haven't divorced him already at this point is because I am required by law to wait a year after we have separated. There is NO WAY he would attend counseling of any kind, if he would have cared that much we would not be at this point. He has no interest in seeking outside help for his problems. From what I have experienced he has bipolar disorder with psychotic breaks, which can be horrendous, and I have loved him despite it because when he is sweet, he is really sweet, and I have cared for him for 3 years, doing 90% of the cooking and cleaning. When he is centered, he is like an angel and very wise. He makes some of the most beautiful jewelry and art I have ever seen. However he is very narcissistic and needy and demands attention beyond my means. He is very fun when he is happy, but he is not happy unless he's getting exactly what he wants from others. I am a sensitive person and he has not respected my boundaries or need for space to recharge. When something upsets him he spins out of control emotionally and rants about the government and how he hates being human, sometimes for hours, and blames everyone for his problems but himself. It is impossible to make him see reason. When I am too exhausted and emotionally overwhelmed to help him, he takes it personally and says I don't care about him. This was when we were still together. He has abused me verbally and, more rarely, physically. He has broken many things, punched holes in walls, stolen money from me. He still dabbles in various drugs from time to time which only further alter his personality. I have tried to be a pillar of support for him without suffering myself, and the only way I could function in the end was to care for myself and encourage him to care more for himself. Well, he hasn't been able to and he is unwilling to seek help. It seems I'm the only thing that was keeping him from total mental breakdown, and I cannot be held responsible for that, as he refuses to attend counseling and he will not take responsibility for himself. I was so overwhelmed and defeated from having to deal with all this that I couldn't even focus on applying for work (I have had depressive tendencies myself, and it is hard to recover when the person you're with is constantly bringing you down). I even tried my best to find us a new home last summer when our landlord sold the house, during which time he accused me of not spending enough time with him or caring about him at all, and did nothing to help, which left us with no option but to come live with my parents. I tried to come alone to care for myself and get my life together but he changed his tune entirely and said he still wanted to be with me, and I fell for it. He did not support me while he was here and his abuse escalated further, and I'm glad he's finally gone. Since we have separated he has been even more verbally abusive than when we were together. The fact that I have hesitated on this decision at all speaks volumes about our unhealthy dynamics and also how much love I have given to him despite everything. I had to separate from him to care for myself, and I am getting a lot more done now than I ever did when I was with him. I have a job lined up and a new place to live next month, and I am happy to be free. He, however, shows little intention of being responsible for himself, and in fact stated such as of yesterday. So there you have it.

poeticaesthetic

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
ayrazar said:
I'd call and see. If they tell you to send the form, that will have taken less time then sending the form and them saying you should have called. Or dot he form and then call XD
Thanks, I already sent the form last night. It was too late to call, so I will have to do it Monday. I will probably send them an email as well.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
poeticaesthetic said:
Thanks, I already sent the form last night. It was too late to call, so I will have to do it Monday. I will probably send them an email as well.
Yeah, give 'em a call on Monday and fight your way through :p I've heard calling early helps, but we've always gotten someone around 3 or 4pm.

Also, ignore people who tell you what to do about your personal life. As jomz mentioned, we're here for immigration info. Obvi some of us will listen and give advice IF ASKED but we're not here to tell people how to live their lives and what to value. You are the expert of your own situation. Your decisions are right and just and correct, because they are yours.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
poeticaesthetic said:
Thanks. Are you saying that it definitely won't be visible in their system? I thought maybe there was a chance; that's why I was going to call. If not, it will at least be visible after it's processed I hope?
No, that's not what I'm saying.

If they can see the withdrawal in the system, they will refuse landing. If they can't see it, they can't refuse landing. Phoning them won't change that. Also, the withdrawal request will be on his file, so CBSA can't share any info with you anyways.

jhutti said:
She may cancel PR of her husband. But he is still her husband. And what are reason to cancel PR.
Are you seriously trying to tell an abuse victim to try to make it work with her abuser? Disgusting.

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poeticaesthetic said:
This marriage is beyond saving. He has abused me and threatened my safety. The only reason I haven't divorced him already at this point is because I am required by law to wait a year after we have separated. There is NO WAY he would attend counseling of any kind, if he would have cared that much we would not be at this point. He has no interest in seeking outside help for his problems. From what I have experienced he has bipolar disorder with psychotic breaks, which can be horrendous, and I have loved him despite it because when he is sweet, he is really sweet, and I have cared for him for 3 years, doing 90% of the cooking and cleaning. When he is centered, he is like an angel and very wise. He makes some of the most beautiful jewelry and art I have ever seen. However he is very narcissistic and needy and demands attention beyond my means. He is very fun when he is happy, but he is not happy unless he's getting exactly what he wants from others. I am a sensitive person and he has not respected my boundaries or need for space to recharge. When something upsets him he spins out of control emotionally and rants about the government and how he hates being human, sometimes for hours, and blames everyone for his problems but himself. It is impossible to make him see reason. When I am too exhausted and emotionally overwhelmed to help him, he takes it personally and says I don't care about him. This was when we were still together. He has abused me verbally and, more rarely, physically. He has broken many things, punched holes in walls, stolen money from me. He still dabbles in various drugs from time to time which only further alter his personality. I have tried to be a pillar of support for him without suffering myself, and the only way I could function in the end was to care for myself and encourage him to care more for himself. Well, he hasn't been able to and he is unwilling to seek help. It seems I'm the only thing that was keeping him from total mental breakdown, and I cannot be held responsible for that, as he refuses to attend counseling and he will not take responsibility for himself. I was so overwhelmed and defeated from having to deal with all this that I couldn't even focus on applying for work (I have had depressive tendencies myself, and it is hard to recover when the person you're with is constantly bringing you down). I even tried my best to find us a new home last summer when our landlord sold the house, during which time he accused me of not spending enough time with him or caring about him at all, and did nothing to help, which left us with no option but to come live with my parents. I tried to come alone to care for myself and get my life together but he changed his tune entirely and said he still wanted to be with me, and I fell for it. He did not support me while he was here and his abuse escalated further, and I'm glad he's finally gone. Since we have separated he has been even more verbally abusive than when we were together. The fact that I have hesitated on this decision at all speaks volumes about our unhealthy dynamics and also how much love I have given to him despite everything. I had to separate from him to care for myself, and I am getting a lot more done now than I ever did when I was with him. I have a job lined up and a new place to live next month, and I am happy to be free. He, however, shows little intention of being responsible for himself, and in fact stated such as of yesterday. So there you have it.

lot of ranting noise( he takes drugs,He threat you in messages,he punch walls bla bla)
Now to substantiate your noise, do you have "doctor report" ," police report" or a "social service reports/record" ?if answer is no. then it is just
He say, she says, stuff. nothing else
Now next phase about so called ongoing separation.

Did you file taxes based on separated status, tell your family doctor about your separated status or even told local padari of church about your separated status? If ans is yes, good else your separated period in court of law starts when you tell any of the above( famiy people do not matter). He is anyway visitor status in canada so physical separation address will not count.

So be clear what you want. It was expected for you to tell CIC long time back about cancelling sponsorship and telling about your separated status to people I have listed. Not appropriate the way you are making last minute impulse decisions. Lot of arms chair expert are giving you advice , take it and be perpare for consequences. Best of luck. This is my last post on this thread

poeticaesthetic

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
ayrazar said:
Yeah, give 'em a call on Monday and fight your way through :p I've heard calling early helps, but we've always gotten someone around 3 or 4pm.

Also, ignore people who tell you what to do about your personal life. As jomz mentioned, we're here for immigration info. Obvi some of us will listen and give advice IF ASKED but we're not here to tell people how to live their lives and what to value. You are the expert of your own situation. Your decisions are right and just and correct, because they are yours.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"
Thank you! I appreciate this very much!