+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship while living outside of Canada

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian citizen currently living outside of Canada with my spouse. I know that being a citizen I can sponsor my spouse while we are living outside of Canada. There is a requirement on the sponsorship questionnaire to show proof of intent of returning to Canada and a date of return.

I have EVERY intention of returning to Canada with my spouse but I would like to minimize the time spent living away from my spouse. I would like to return to Canada 2 months before my spouse is actually approved for PR to set up a household. How does one express this on the application? I do not want to lease an apartment now and not use it for 5 to 15 months because we are not yet living there.

We fully intend to move to Canada once PR is given. I will write a re-establishment plan explaining all of this but I am not sure it will be enough to meet the CIC requirement as they ask for very concrete evidence like a Job off, housing lease, acceptance letter to school or mortgage.

Any suggestions or advice?

Can people that have been through a similar experience please give me some insight and tell me of their experience.

Thanks !

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Huron said:
I am a Canadian citizen currently living outside of Canada with my spouse. I know that being a citizen I can sponsor my spouse while we are living outside of Canada. There is a requirement on the sponsorship questionnaire to show proof of intent of returning to Canada and a date of return.

I have EVERY intention of returning to Canada with my spouse but I would like to minimize the time spent living away from my spouse. I would like to return to Canada 2 months before my spouse is actually approved for PR to set up a household. How does one express this on the application? I do not want to lease an apartment now and not use it for 5 to 15 months because we are not yet living there.

We fully intend to move to Canada once PR is given. I will write a re-establishment plan explaining all of this but I am not sure it will be enough to meet the CIC requirement as they ask for very concrete evidence like a Job off, housing lease, acceptance letter to school or mortgage.

Any suggestions or advice?

Can people that have been through a similar experience please give me some insight and tell me of their experience.

Thanks !
You just have to include the statement that it is your intention that once your spouse is issued a visa you will return to Canada. Obviously you know that you have to outline your plans as to accommodation, work, schooling.

dinchymus

Sep 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
I am sponsoring my spouse from outside of canada, and all we did was have a letter written by the person who we will be staying with until we get settled in, find our own place and such. And the sponsorship was approved, so it shouldn't be a big deal.good luck!

minna

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/07/2010
AOR Received.
08/09/2010
File Transfer...
19/08/2010
Med's Done....
13/07/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
30/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/12/2010
LANDED..........
18/12/2010
I sponsored my partner while living outside of canada, and we have since moved to Canada even though my partner's visa has not yet been approved (although, fingers crossed our PPR should be coming anyday....)

I included an additional letter indicating my plans to return to canada, as well as a notarized letter from my parents indicating that they were aware of our plans and planned to extend any help we needed, including providing us a place to stay and copies of emails I had sent to prospective employers. I also included a proposed timeline of the application/moving process.

We filed our application in July 2010, and our timeline included steps we had taken from the beginning of the process (we had started gathering paperwork etc, in May 2010) and then continued through to February 2011 (I based it on the average processing time at B'lo visa office at the time). I included things like:

July 2010
• XXXXXXX will attend medical exam with local DMP on July 13th.
• Pay application fees
• Finalize and submit application for sponsorship and permanent residence.
• XXXXXX will continue to search for available positions in Vancouver and will begin notifying more friends and family of intent to return to Canada, allowing for greater networking opportunities.
• Begin researching requirements for bringing our belongings through customs. Begin preparing necessary document and assembling necessary paperwork for car, dog etc.

August 2010 (projected)
• Continue to search for job opportunities in Vancouver.
• Continue preparation for moving – assembling all necessary documentation.
• Contact realtor to assess possibility of selling our home in Florida, and what, if any repairs need to be done to bring the house into selleable condition.
• Contact rental property management agency, to look into possibility of renting our home if selling the house is not possible in the current real estate market.
• Ensure car is in good enough condition to make the long drive from Florida to Vancouver – make plans for making any necessary repairs.

Basically just think through the basics of what your move will entail, and plot them out on a month-by-month basis. This will show that you are serious about the move, and are truly considering the possibilities. Of course, the timeline will change as you actually make progress through the immigration system, and the timeline is by no means binding. I sent along updates to our timeline, whenever we had other additional information to send. Like, when my partner's FBI clearance finally arrived, I sent it in with a letter explaining the updates to our moving process. Just last week, we were asked to send in some additional documentation, and we included a note mentioning that my partner had been granted a 1-year visitor visa, and planned to wait out the remainder of the process with me in Canada.

Hope this helps!