+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Questions

Mar 10, 2009
I have a few questions to ask regarding sponsorship as i need to know what my options are & how im going to work things out, Im a british citezen and ive just got engaged to my Canadian girlfriend, We are both students, I am wanting to move over to canada to stay with her as i've always wanted to move there & work for a better living. I'm 16 and just recently started on a business studies course at college which will take 3 years to complete there of which i will be 19, I am really wanting to move as soon as i finish college because i have nothing left in the UK to keep me here, I'm wanting to know what i & my girlfriend will need to do, for what routes we shall have to take, Aka if we decided to get married before all the immigration proccesses take place or if we decide to wait it out until its all over with, Another thing i really need to know is will i be able to get to work as soon as possible, As my career path is to become a truck driver as it runs in the family, I know i wont be able to drive trucks until im 21 and even then it's doing regional work i believe, But i am wanting to train as a mechanic when i've moved over there, & if you could please tell me if it would be possible for me to move like as soon as i finish college & get my results which would be in august,

If you could PLEASE help me out that would be fantastic!!

Great regards

John

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2009
You will prob be 19 by the time you get approved....and u have to be married or living together one full year to be common law at least. it;s not as easy as you think.

Maybe you can go there as a student

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
You could try and apply through BUNAC for a one year working holiday visa once you are done studying, after you have lived together for one year you will be able to apply under the common law spouse visa.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2009
but I would think you would have to be living together for over a year when you reach 18 ....as I think 16-17 would not be a common law union,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to move as soon as you finish college, you might want to marry her and start a sponsorship a few months earlier. Applications through London are taking 3-8 months if memory serves me right. Once you get the PR visa, you don't have to move right away so it's ok if you get it a bit earlier.

For now, make sure you keep all evidence of your communication, phone records, chat logs, emails etc. because you can send it to prove your relationship when you apply.

You do not have to be 21 to drive a truck in Canada. Some provinces allow you to get licensed as young as 18, provided you have already been driving for 2 years. In AB, you can get your learners permit at age 14, first graduated drivers license at age 16, full license and be allowed to go to truck driving school at 18. It depends on the province though. To do apprenticeship as a mechanic, you just need a job at a shop and ask them to sign you up. Also depends on the province.

Mar 10, 2009
Thank you for all the replys, Could i ask leon, Would i be able to go out & work as soon as i moved over to Canada as i don't want to be leaving my girlfriend having to pay for me as that isn't how i was brought up, But thank you so much for helping me!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you have the PR visa, you can work. That's why you should start the sponsorship a few months before you want to move.