+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Questions For a Friend

Feb 7, 2011
I am in US so not familiar with Canadian Immigration Laws. I have a good friend though, who her and her kids are sponsored and living near Montreal. They were married in Texas but Sponsorship accepted. She is still not a Permanent Resident. They both have discussed divorce but unsure of what they need to do. I'm assuming, as she is not PR that she can leave and file for divorce in Texas. However, what would they need to do regarding sponsorship. Neither of the children are biologically her spouses if that helps. Would he still have to continue to support her and her kids? To be honest, she is NOT seeking this, and is hoping just to cut ties completely. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BearLandBucFan

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BearLandBucFan said:
I am in US so not familiar with Canadian Immigration Laws. I have a good friend though, who her and her kids are sponsored and living near Montreal. They were married in Texas but Sponsorship accepted. She is still not a Permanent Resident. They both have discussed divorce but unsure of what they need to do. I'm assuming, as she is not PR that she can leave and file for divorce in Texas. However, what would they need to do regarding sponsorship. Neither of the children are biologically her spouses if that helps. Would he still have to continue to support her and her kids? To be honest, she is NOT seeking this, and is hoping just to cut ties completely. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BearLandBucFan
The sponsorship application can be withdrawn. So can the application for PR. They would have to send a letter (fax) to CIC to advise them of this. Regarding the spousal support and divorce, that is a family law issue.

Feb 7, 2011
Awesome! Her PR Status may complete in a few days. Will this be an issue? Can she put a temporary hold on it? What happens if her PR Status gets approved prior to the withdrawal process completing?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BearLandBucFan said:
Awesome! Her PR Status may complete in a few days. Will this be an issue? Can she put a temporary hold on it? What happens if her PR Status gets approved prior to the withdrawal process completing?
Send the fax and the process is stopped.
No temporary holds, but if granted PR, she has to land to become a Permanent Resident - that can introduce a delay if she wants.

Feb 7, 2011
Baloo said:
Send the fax and the process is stopped.
No temporary holds, but if granted PR, she has to land to become a Permanent Resident - that can introduce a delay if she wants.

Not sure I know what to land means. If it is granted and they want to separate still, will she be prevented from doing so or returning to US?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Landing is the final part of the PR immigration process, performed at a CIC office in Canada or at a Canadian border.

If your friend wants to separate from her husband, she can cancel the PR and go her own way - divorce and separation is about family law, she should contact a lawyer.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If a decision is already made and the PR visa issued, the spouse may not be able to withdraw sponsorship. However, the wife can choose not to "land" before the expiry date of her visa and therefore, not become a PR.

Nothing will prevent her from returning to the US as she is a US citizen.