+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship question

sridhar249

Oct 7, 2014
Hi,

This is Sridhar, i am a PR of Canada. But i left Canada (in Oct 2012) a couple of months after getting my PR. I have been working in India all this time. My PR is still in a valid state.

I got married in May 2013 and we now have a baby girl.

Now, i am planning to return to Canada in the next couple of month (in Dec 2014). Also, i am planning to apply PR for my wife and daughter right after landing in Canada.

My questions are:

1) Can I start PR processing for my wife and daughter right after landing in Canada?? The reason I am asking this question is, some people suggested me to find a job first and then start the PR processing, so that you can prove government on how you are planning to support your family.

2) Is job a mandatory thing to sponsor my wife and daughter. I can show bank balance as a proof to support my family, if that option is available. Can I show bank balance instead of a job? If yes, how much bank balance is required??

I worked in Canada for 4 years (from 2008 to 2012) and i am sure i can find a job soon after coming to Canada. But, i would like to start PR processing for my wife and daughter as soon as possible, so that they can come to Canada sooner.

3) Let's say i have a job in hand by the time i land in Canada. In this case, can i start the PR processing immediately after landing in Canada? Or.. is there a requirement as in, i need to show the last few months of pay slips for processing the PR?? I am worried that the PR processing will get delayed if i need to show the pay slips as well.

Thanks in Advance,
Sridhar.

susana

Nov 4, 2008
If you have enough funds to prove you can support your wife and daughter since arriving to canada, why you don't apply for a TRV for them and bring them to Canada with you? You can write an explanation letter to the visa office asking them to allow them to come with you but make sure she has ties back in India as a job or a property to prove she would be back at the end of her allowed time in Canada.

You do not need to provide paystubs with your sponsorhip application but you need to provide letter of employment and your last notice of assesment from CRA which will be difficult as you have not worked in Canada, so as soon as you get back or if you can find an accountant to file out your tax returns from 2012-2013 for yiu, do it as soon as possible. You must declare your worldwide income. Having this done you will able to provide the copy c printout of your last notice of assesment wich is a mandarory document with the sponsorhip application.

sridhar249

Oct 7, 2014
Hi Susana,

Thanks for the answers.

I have n't considered TRV as most people said chances are less. Also, having a job in India and getting a long vacation would not be possible.

As i mentioned, i stayed in Canada only till Oct 2012. And i have already filed the taxes for the period (Jan 2012 to Dec 2012) in Canada.

I have n't filed taxes for the period (Jan 2013 to Dec 2013) in Canada, as i have n't worked for this period in Canada. I filed taxes for Jan 2013 to Dec 2013 in India, as i worked in India during this time.

Am i supposed to file taxes for the period (Jan 2013 to Dec 2013) in Canada as well? Or, do you think i don't need to, as i have n't worked in Canada during this time?

Thanks,
Sridhar.

sunnycool

Sep 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
File Transfer...
22-01-2015 In process.....: 04-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-09-2014 Remedical......: 23-09-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
sridhar249 said:
Hi,

This is Sridhar, i am a PR of Canada. But i left Canada (in Oct 2012) a couple of months after getting my PR. I have been working in India all this time. My PR is still in a valid state.

I got married in May 2013 and we now have a baby girl.

Now, i am planning to return to Canada in the next couple of month (in Dec 2014). Also, i am planning to apply PR for my wife and daughter right after landing in Canada.

My questions are:

1) Can I start PR processing for my wife and daughter right after landing in Canada?? The reason I am asking this question is, some people suggested me to find a job first and then start the PR processing, so that you can prove government on how you are planning to support your family.

2) Is job a mandatory thing to sponsor my wife and daughter. I can show bank balance as a proof to support my family, if that option is available. Can I show bank balance instead of a job? If yes, how much bank balance is required??

I worked in Canada for 4 years (from 2008 to 2012) and i am sure i can find a job soon after coming to Canada. But, i would like to start PR processing for my wife and daughter as soon as possible, so that they can come to Canada sooner.

3) Let's say i have a job in hand by the time i land in Canada. In this case, can i start the PR processing immediately after landing in Canada? Or.. is there a requirement as in, i need to show the last few months of pay slips for processing the PR?? I am worried that the PR processing will get delayed if i need to show the pay slips as well.

Thanks in Advance,
Sridhar.
Having a job before sponsoring always help, but it is not mandatory. There isn't any criteria for a specific bank balance. You just need to show how you are going to support your family once they reach Canada, and that you would not need any social assistance from the government.

Best thing as per my suggestion is that you should find a job as soon as possible, get a job offer letter once you are in canada. Meanwhile when you are in India collect all the documents required like the medical receipt, PCC and other documents for your family.

As per present trend it takes about 6-8 months for the application to process, if all goes fine (i.e. all forms, supporting docs, are in place and no red flags).

You need to inquire about the Option C printout. It is mandatory.

All the best.

Srilatha

Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
AOR1: 06-10-2015, AOR2: 02-11-2015
File Transfer...
25-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
03-04-2015
Hello sunnycool,

May I know how long are medicals and PCC are valid.

Thanks,
Srilatha.

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
My Canadian citizen wife is sponsoring me and she hasn't been living in Canada since 2006. We've been told that in lieu of Option C, she should just get a letter from her current employer and 12 months worth of paystubs. Reading here that an Option C is mandatory, and it is listed on the check list, I am now quite confused. Any tips on it? Is there a difference if you haven't filed taxes in Canada for one year or 8 years?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Nunuc said:
My Canadian citizen wife is sponsoring me and she hasn't been living in Canada since 2006. We've been told that in lieu of Option C, she should just get a letter from her current employer and 12 months worth of paystubs. Reading here that an Option C is mandatory, and it is listed on the check list, I am now quite confused. Any tips on it? Is there a difference if you haven't filed taxes in Canada for one year or 8 years?
BECAUSE your wife hasn't lived in canada, CIC will accept the alternative. The Option C form is generally required of sponsors who have been living and working IN canada. Not filing taxes when you are living and working in canada is not a "legitimate" reason for not being able to supply an Option C. Living and working OUTSIDE canada is. MAke sure to ALSO write a letter of explanation simply stating an option c is not available because of non-residency for x years, and you've provided an alternative. On the checklist, this is part of the "required" substitute listed.

CIC is primarily checking for welfare usage and bankruptcy. If your wife has a recent tax return for the country she's living in, i'd recommend sending a copy as well, just to cover all bases. it's not required, though it seems to help those sponsors living outside canada "ease" through the process.

driftcars

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
You should file tax return for year 2013 even you only worked at India. Unless you have a non-resident tax status, income earned anywhere in the world should be reported on the tax return.

susana

Nov 4, 2008
driftcars said:
You should file tax return for year 2013 even you only worked at India. Unless you have a non-resident tax status, income earned anywhere in the world should be reported on the tax return.
Agree ! You shoud report your worlwide income

sunnycool

Sep 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
File Transfer...
22-01-2015 In process.....: 04-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-09-2014 Remedical......: 23-09-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
Srilatha said:
Hello sunnycool,

May I know how long are medicals and PCC are valid.

Thanks,
Srilatha.
Medical is valid for 1 year. PCC is said to be valid for 1 year, but the processing office can extend it a few months if your file is about to be cleared.

sridhar249

Oct 7, 2014
driftcars said:
Thanks for the info. I will file taxes for the year 2013 in Canada. And i am planning to start the PR processing for my wife and daughter in Jan/Feb 2015, which means i need to file taxes for 2014 (Jan 2014 to Dec 2014) as well.

The question now is, is there any time period, only after which i will be able to file taxes for the year 2014? Or can i file the taxes for 2014 (Jan 2014 to Dec 2014) in January 2015? The reason for asking this is, i would like to file the 2014 taxes as soon as possible, so that i can start the PR processing for my wife and daughter sooner.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sridhar249 said:
The question now is, is there any time period, only after which i will be able to file taxes for the year 2014? Or can i file the taxes for 2014 (Jan 2014 to Dec 2014) in January 2015? The reason for asking this is, i would like to file the 2014 taxes as soon as possible, so that i can start the PR processing for my wife and daughter sooner.
we are still in 2014, therefore you can not file taxes prior to the year ending because taxes are based on your total income for that year. so, no you can't file your taxes for 2014 prior to january 2015.

as the other posted mentioned, you do not need to have your 2014 taxes done if you plan to send in your application in early 2015. CIC will be aware it's impossible to file taxes prior to the year ending, and they are not technically "due" until april i believe, so it will be impossible to get an option c form for 2014 before you are able to file taxes for 2014. your 2013 option C will work just fine.