+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship/PR Applaction Questions.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone, My name is Ariane and I've a few topics/questions.

I hope that some of you will be able to provide some guidance about some of my sponsorship/PR questions.

Please provide links to where you got your information, I really don't want to be left in the dark on this type of thing.

1) Does age matter.

My soon to be husband and I are 19 years of age, and I was wondering if that will be a problem?

2) Money.

My soon to be husband works at a job entry level making about $1400 a month, what are your thoughts on that. I too work, I consider being self employed, I'm a commissioned digital artist which I found was fine to stay working.

3) Implied status.

Does implied status applied to people that are waiting on a PR/Sponsorship application? Or will I have to continue to spend 75$ for a new visitor record?

4) Medical Exam.

I am from the United States, will I need to go back to the US to get a valid medical examine? Do I have to option to get one here? If so, how will that work considering that I am not a Canadian citizen or resident but do have the funds to pay for it in Canada.

5) Maiden name versus married name.

When I fill out sponsorship/PR documents requiring my name, should I put my maiden name or my married name?

6) Time.

How many days should or can I turn in my sponsorship/PR application until my visitor status expires? I will be applying inland.

7) Being denied.

If this were to happen, what can I do, will I be given a reason, and what am I to expect?

8 ) Time given for departure.

How long is one given for departure, if they have to leave? What would "reasonable time" be considered?

Thank you very much for your time.

fafi

Sep 17, 2010
kingston, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2010
1. no, when i started my application my girlfriend was 19

2. proof of funds/funds do not matter for spouses on PR applications

3. you will have to continue to renew.

4. no, you can get one in canada. on the CIC website there will be a list of 'designated medical practitioners' in your area, and it costs anywhere from $200-$500 for all of the tests.

5. if you're married, your married name.

6. apply outland! you can apply outland from inside of canada. inland will take at LEAST a year and a half. my outland application took only 4 months.

7. you will most likely not be deined. you would be given a reason though, and if you apply inland you cannot challenge the decision. if you apply outland, you can fight to repeal it.

8. 30 days i think. just keep your visitor visa up to date and you'll be fine.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Sponsorship/PR Application Questions.

What If I am denied from extending my stay as a visitor while I wait for my Sponsorship/PR application? I have extended once already. From the 15th of January to the 10th of May. I was told from immigration at the point of entry that I cannot keep extending my visitors record.

Sponsorship/PR application funds estiment.

I remember reading that it would be a total of 2 grand for the whole process, is this true?

Criminal record/FBI check/police certificate

Is this necessary? I remember seeing that one would need one, is this reqired for PR/Sponsorship?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
rafflone said:
Hello everyone, My name is Ariane and I've a few topics/questions.

I hope that some of you will be able to provide some guidance about some of my sponsorship/PR questions.

Please provide links to where you got your information, I really don't want to be left in the dark on this type of thing.

1) Does age matter.

My soon to be husband and I are 19 years of age, and I was wondering if that will be a problem?
No, you are of legal age to marry so how old you are doesn't matter. A huge age difference between you might be a red flag to a marriage of convenience, but they aren't going to persecute you for being young!
rafflone said:
2) Money.

My soon to be husband works at a job entry level making about $1400 a month, what are your thoughts on that. I too work, I consider being self employed, I'm a commissioned digital artist which I found was fine to stay working.
Not sure what you mean. There are no minimum income requirements for someone to sponsor their spouse - and the applicant's job or career is irrelevant to the sponsorship process.
rafflone said:
3) Implied status.

Does implied status applied to people that are waiting on a PR/Sponsorship application? Or will I have to continue to spend 75$ for a new visitor record?
"Implied status" is what you get when you submit an application to extend your temporary status so that it's received before your status expires - that gives you "implied status" to remain in Canada under the terms of your original status until they make a decision on your extension ap. Applying for PR does NOT give you temporary status - implied or otherwise. You need to keep submitting extension applications each time your temporary status is due to expire - at $75 a pop - making sure the extension aps are received before your status expires, until you have PR.
rafflone said:
4) Medical Exam.

I am from the United States, will I need to go back to the US to get a valid medical examine? Do I have to option to get one here? If so, how will that work considering that I am not a Canadian citizen or resident but do have the funds to pay for it in Canada.
You can get an immigration medical exam at any DMP in Canada - you don't have to be a resident or a Canadian citizen.
rafflone said:
5) Maiden name versus married name.

When I fill out sponsorship/PR documents requiring my name, should I put my maiden name or my married name?
You put the name that is on your passport. If that is still your maiden name when you apply, you use your maiden name on the application forms. After you get the name changed on your passport (which you can do, by mail, from Canada) you can update the processing office by sending a copy of your new passport to them. When they're ready to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and visa, they will ask you to submit your valid passport. They will issue PR with the same name that's on that passport - the COPR and the PR card have to be issued with the same name as is on your passport.
rafflone said:
6) Time.

How many days should or can I turn in my sponsorship/PR application until my visitor status expires? I will be applying inland.
Huh? I strongly advise against applying inland for PR when you are a US citizen. There is no advantage to the inland process. It takes longer and your sponsor gives up his right to appeal a refusal. You are able to apply outland even while visiting in Canada - you just have to keep your temporary status valid by applying separately to extend it each time it's due to expire. Proof of your valid marriage and a PR ap in process (outland) is enough to get the extension approved each time.
rafflone said:
7) Being denied.

If this were to happen, what can I do, will I be given a reason, and what am I to expect?
Yes, you'd be given a reason, and (depending on the reason) your sponsor can either file an appeal or you can start a new application. Unless you apply inland - then you have no option to appeal and you'd have to leave Canada immediately after being refused.
rafflone said:
8 ) Time given for departure.

How long is one given for departure, if they have to leave? What would "reasonable time" be considered?
When our outland application was refused, I was able to stay in Canada until my temporary status expired. When I applied to extend it, it was denied and I was told to leave immediately. (That ended up being overturned, but that normally wouldn't happen.)

rafflone said:
What If I am denied from extending my stay as a visitor while I wait for my Sponsorship/PR application? I have extended once already. From the 15th of January to the 10th of May. I was told from immigration at the point of entry that I cannot keep extending my visitors record
You CAN keep extending your Visitor Record IF you are an eligible PR applicant and you have a PR application in process. What they mean is that they won't let you keep extending indefinitely without you being eligible, and making application to move beyond temporary status to become permanent.
rafflone said:
Sponsorship/PR application funds estiment.

I remember reading that it would be a total of 2 grand for the whole process, is this true?
The fees are $75 sponsor fee, $475 applicant fee and $490 Right of Permanent Residence Fee, for a total of $1040. There is also a fee of $150 per accompanying dependent, if applicable. There are also costs associated with the medical exam, your police clearance(s), photos, tracking for mailings, etc., but I'd be surprised if they totaled another $900. Maybe if you hired a lawyer it would get to the +$2000 range , but that shouldn't be necessary.
rafflone said:
Criminal record/FBI check/police certificate

Is this necessary? I remember seeing that one would need one, is this required for PR/Sponsorship?
Absolutely required to be submitted WITH the application, as well as the immigration medical exam. State clearances may also be required from each State you've lived in for more than 6 months since turning 18, but Buffalo will ask for those after receiving the application if they need them.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. I'd suggest that you read through the information on the US2Canada website, as well as the application guides for the outland application package for more info. I can provide links for specific things, but providing links for all of these answers is a bit time consuming.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for replying RobsLuv.

I can't tell you how upset and overwhelmed I am but also thankful.

So What I would have to do is

1) Go send in the information for an FBI check, and get a medical exam

2) Get married

3) extend my stay even more

4) Fill out the application for sponsorship, and fill it out place it in an envelope along with any prof of marriage [shouldn't the marriage licence be enough?]

Also Can you show me which applications to fill out for that? (We don't have any kids and I'm not sure which ones to fill out, some of them are for children and extended family, I'm a little confused as to which ones that apply to me.)

5) At the same time fill out a PR application for me outland, print off the papers and place them in a folder along with my medical exam and FBI criminal report. [can it be a large envelope? Like the ones you use to ship stuff in?)

Can you also please show me which application to fill out regarding PR, I've seen applying for PR card but it looks like it's to renew and restore a PR card.

I really just don't know where to begin with this, and I don't want to mess anything up or take a chance with any of this.

Anyways I do mail my PR application to this address?

Consulate General of Canada
Immigration Regional Program Centre
1 HSBC Center
Buffalo, New York
14203-2884, USA

And I can do this from canada?

I wish there was a way to find someone that can walk us through the process.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rafflone said:
Thank you for replying RobsLuv.

I can't tell you how upset and overwhelmed I am but also thankful.

So What I would have to do is

1) Go send in the information for an FBI check, and get a medical exam

2) Get married

3) extend my stay even more

4) Fill out the application for sponsorship, and fill it out place it in an envelope along with any prof of marriage [shouldn't the marriage licence be enough?]

Also Can you show me which applications to fill out for that? (We don't have any kids and I'm not sure which ones to fill out, some of them are for children and extended family, I'm a little confused as to which ones that apply to me.)

5) At the same time fill out a PR application for me outland, print off the papers and place them in a folder along with my medical exam and FBI criminal report. [can it be a large envelope? Like the ones you use to ship stuff in?)

Can you also please show me which application to fill out regarding PR, I've seen applying for PR card but it looks like it's to renew and restore a PR card.

I really just don't know where to begin with this, and I don't want to mess anything up or take a chance with any of this.

Anyways I do mail my PR application to this address?

Consulate General of Canada
Immigration Regional Program Centre
1 HSBC Center
Buffalo, New York
14203-2884, USA

And I can do this from canada?

I wish there was a way to find someone that can walk us through the process.
1. Please read the instructions, RobsLuv answered most of your questions, but it appears that you should re-read the instructions.
2. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
3. Your marriage license isn't sufficient, it just allows you to marry, you need proof that the marriage was solemnized.
4. The sponsorship and the application with all the attachments included proof of the relationship are sent to Mississauga, if approved the your application is sent to Buffalo by Mississauga.
5. Use recorded delivery.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sorry, I was just so over come with all the stuff I had to to, with the realitly of the fact that none of this is garented and that $2000+ could be sent down the drain, so I will probly repeat myself. It's just a very uneasy and unsettling feeling when I know that the possabiltys are that I may not be granted PR or be sponsered.

How can I show prof that my marrage is solemnized?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rafflone said:
I'm sorry, I was just so over come with all the stuff I had to to, with the realitly of the fact that none of this is garented and that $2000+ could be sent down the drain, so I will probly repeat myself. It's just a very uneasy and unsettling feeling when I know that the possabiltys are that I may not be granted PR or be sponsered.

There are no guarantees, but the point is - if the relationship is genuine, not just for immigration purposes and you take your time, gather all the required information, there should be no problem.
Obviously if there are issue with crime, inadmissibility or other problems then things get more complicated.
Read everything, treat the process with respect and ask questions here; the thing you will need is patience.

Aside of the marriage issue, you need to prove to immigration that your relationship is genuine and not primarily for immigration purposes.
There are some links and comments here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/canadian-living-in-uk-with-hubby-wanting-to-sponsor-him-to-move-back-help-t62448.0.html;msg572543

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rafflone said:

Calm down and read the instructions PMM and RobsLuv gave you. READ and take it one question at a time. Proof that your marriage is solemnized is a Marriage certificate from the province where you were married. This proves that the marriage was legally done. A marriage license just shows that you applied to get married, not that you actually did marry.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, thank you so much everyone. I'm sorry for sounding so "OH MY GOD! WHAT DO I DO." even after you guys tell me.

you should have seen me a week before boarding my plane here, after reading all the TSA stories

Are the forms different for outland versus inland?

Okay, well Is it alright if I get my medical exam done first, the thing that worries me is that I don't get the results back. I know I'm supposed to have them fill out a paper and send with...my PR forms?

And regards to the criminal certificate, that takes 16 to 18 weeks for it to get back to me. I've never had my fingerprints taken before.

I should then mail everything out after I get my medical papers [how long does that take?] and my criminal certificate [which takes 16 to 18 weeks]

Also What are somethings that I need along with the forms to mail?

Passport
Birth Certificate
Marriage certificate [how long does it take to receive that?]
Anything else?

Thank you so much again everyone.

One last thing, Is there anyone at immigrate that we could go to for help, like they do in school when filling out collage papers? I just don't like feeling alone on this, my mom can't help me and my fiance's parents did this like almost 10 years ago.
I'm scared to be honest.

I will probably say this a million times, but thank you so much and I am most grateful for your help.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If you are very nervous about the process, you could always hire an immigration consultant. An immigration lawyer most likely wouldn't be necessary with a straightforward case (which yours appears to be). An immigration consultant will tell you what forms you need, will help you fill them out, and will advise you what kind of proof you need to send to show that your relationship is genuine.
People usually find that if they ask questions here, they get enough information to be able to prepare a good application on their own, without a consultant, though.

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
I also found it handy to do a few "trial runs" at filling out the forms. I filled each one out quite a few times, just to make sure I understood everything and had everything they wanted. While you're waiting for all your other stuff to arrive its something to do! I was really overwhelmed when I first looked at all the forms/info needed too. It can be very daunting, but if you go at it one step at a time it'll be okay. We finally sent off our forms last week after about 3 or 4 months of working on them! Just read and re-read the instructions - everything you need to know is in there!

Good luck, and take a deep breath loll ;)

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much again everyone,

Now, me and my fiance aren't made of money, so I'm scared to ask, how much is it to hire an immigration consultant? We are both stressed out, and worried because everything is happening all at once, and neither of use want to be away from each other again.

I looked over the forms, and stuff, I feel better now, but the big problem is time, how long it will take to get my medical exam results and my criminal record as well.

Do I send in both Apendex A and B or just A? [for the criminal record.]

I already renewed my status for my 1st time since I got to Canada, It's to May 10th, will I be able to renew my status again with the following reason?

"Waiting on criminal record/FBI background check."

that's one of the main thing that worries us both, time. If I'm denied before I can even send out the sponsorship and PR papers it's going to be hard for us.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rafflone said:
Thank you so much again everyone,

Now, me and my fiance aren't made of money, so I'm scared to ask, how much is it to hire an immigration consul? We are both stressed out, and worried because everything is happening all at once, and neither of use want to be away from each other again.

I looked over the forms, and stuff, I feel better now, but the big problem is time, how long it will take to get my medical exam results and my criminal record as well.

Do I send in both Apendex A and B or just A? [for the criminal record.]

I already renewed my status for my 1st time since I got to Canada, It's to May 10th, will I be able to renew my status again with the following reason?

"Waiting on criminal record/FBI background check."

that's one of the main thing that worries us both, time. If I'm denied before I can even send out the sponsorship and PR papers it's going to be hard for us.
You will have the medical receipt required to send with the application within a couple of days of getting the medical done (or even the same day). So do the medical closer to the date you are actually sending in the application. The FBI clearance will be the slowest. Apply for it NOW. I know it states it is taking 16 to 18 weeks on their website but experience says that it is actually more like 8 to 12 weeks to get it back.

rafflone

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I read that

STEP 3.PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION
You may have to provide fingerprints, photos or a letter from Canadian immigration authorities explaining why you need a police certificate. Your local police or RCMP may be able to tell you where you can get fingerprints taken.
Take Appendix B and your photo identification (passport, travel document, etc.) with you when you go to get fingerprints taken. You may have to pay a fee.

I'm from the states, has anyone else had to do this? Or am I fine with just sending in the Appendix A? The Request for Police Certificate/Clearance and Authorization for Release of Information.

Or will immigration notify me as to weather or not they will need fingerprints?

Also:

For each country in which you or your family members have lived for more than six months during the past 10 years, you must provide a police certificate, clearance or record of no information. If you or your family members were under 18 years of age when you lived there, you do not need to provide a police certificate. It is your responsibility to contact the police or relevant authorities.

I turned 18 in North Carolina and lived there from age 3 and half to age 18. The paragraph above seems to contradict its self. I'm a little confused, I wish there was a dummies guide to all this. (sigh)