+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship of parents and grandparents for Canadian Permanent Residence

mzm26

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Re: Parents already here on supervisa

waiting4u said:
@ IPSKang and @ Bsramon

Can you guys please let me know what immigration office did you choose on Form IMM0008 Generic Application Form. I am confused if I should use Canada or Delhi office because my parents are already in Canada on supervisa. If you can respond soon that will help me send the application faster. Thanks
This is what guide says:
Q4: Immigration Office requested for the processing of your application

Indicate the name of the Immigration Office which serves:

your country of nationality, or
the country in which you are residing, provided that you have been lawfully admitted to that country for at least one (1) year.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Re: Parents already here on supervisa

waiting4u said:
Can you guys please let me know what immigration office did you choose on Form IMM0008 Generic Application Form. I am confused if I should use Canada or Delhi office because my parents are already in Canada on supervisa. If you can respond soon that will help me send the application faster. Thanks
You can put either one you prefer, since they are eligible for both.

However the final choice is up to CPC-Mississauga. They may take your choice into consideration, but will ultimately send the app to whatever visa office they want. So even if you choose Ottawa, it could still go to New Delhi.

minboui

Jan 4, 2014
Hi everyone,

need some help with the financial form.

Here's the situation;

I am sponsoring my parents. My wife is a co signer, so that is a family unit of 4 persons.
I (alone) meet the minimum income only in 2012. However, with my wife's co sponsor help, We both meet the minimum for 2011 and 2010. Do I qualify or do I have to meet the minimum for each year regardless of the fact that combined income of wife+me meets the requirement?

Thanks

YYZguy416

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
Yes, you can show your combined income for any of those years as long as it is above the required minimum.

minboui said:
Hi everyone,

Here's the situation;

I am sponsoring my parents. My wife is a co signer, so that is a family unit of 4 persons.
I (alone) meet the minimum income only in 2012. However, with my wife's co sponsor help, We both meet the minimum for 2011 and 2010. Do I qualify or do I have to meet the minimum for each year regardless of the fact that combined income of wife+me meets the requirement?

Thanks

toronto27

Star Member
May 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Jan-2014 11:15am
minboui said:
Hi everyone,

Here's the situation;

Thanks
Only combined income counts when you have your spouse as co-sponsor. For example, even if you were unemployed in 2010 and your spouse was making enough to meet qualification than you are fine.

nursemich

Jun 17, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9/08/10:app sent 09/16/10:CC charged 12/29/10:PER rcvd 02/03/11:2nd AOR 02/08/11:Med rqt with PRPF and PC 03/10/11:Medicals rcvd by VO
Passport Req..
04/07/11
VISA ISSUED...
05/02/11
LANDED..........
05/19/11 Canadian Citizen 07/16/15
Hi do you think I would qualify to sponsor my mom and my dad. Me and my spouse came here mid of 2011. I plan to use my CRA tax assessment 2011, 2012 and 2013 (since I only earned half year on 2011, can I use my payslip from Jan to June this year to suffice the required income of 2011, and explain why 2011 income was short). Do you think I would qualify or should I just wait next year?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nursemich said:
Hi do you think I would qualify to sponsor my mom and my dad. Me and my spouse came here mid of 2011. I plan to use my CRA tax assessment 2011, 2012 and 2013 (since I only earned half year on 2011, can I use my payslip from Jan to June this year to suffice the required income of 2011, and explain why 2011 income was short). Do you think I would qualify or should I just wait next year?
To qualify to sponsor your parents, you need to provide an Option C or an NOA from 2010, 2011 and 2012 showing that you meet LICO. If you only started working in 2011, then you will have to wait until your 2013 taxes have been filed and the Option C / NOA is available for 2013 (this won't be for a few months yet). If you didn't meet LICO in 2011 - then you don't qualify to apply this year.

mssga

Dec 31, 2013
Hi. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue. I sent in my complete sponsorship application. However, looking over the photocopies I realized that I made a very stupid mistake. On one of the forms where I signed my name, i put the date as 2013-01-02, instead of 2014-01-02. This makes it look like I signed the form a year ago which obviously is not possible as they weren't out then. I called CIC and they suggested sending in a whole new application package as they are unsure how it will be handled.

What I am afraid of is - if I send a new application with an explanation letter of why I am sending a second application, and I don't make it in time for the 5000 cut-off, then I am just drawing more attention to the signed date error on my first application, which otherwise may be overlooked?
On the other hand, perhaps it is better to correct this error now rather than someone at some point in time, make a fuss over it.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this kind of situation or can suggest something? Thanks.

nursemich

Jun 17, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9/08/10:app sent 09/16/10:CC charged 12/29/10:PER rcvd 02/03/11:2nd AOR 02/08/11:Med rqt with PRPF and PC 03/10/11:Medicals rcvd by VO
Passport Req..
04/07/11
VISA ISSUED...
05/02/11
LANDED..........
05/19/11 Canadian Citizen 07/16/15
scylla said:
To qualify to sponsor your parents, you need to provide an Option C or an NOA from 2010, 2011 and 2012 showing that you meet LICO. If you only started working in 2011, then you will have to wait until your 2013 taxes have been filed and the Option C / NOA is available for 2013 (this won't be for a few months yet). If you didn't meet LICO in 2011 - then you don't qualify to apply this year.

Thank you for your reply :) Ill just wait next year. Where can I find the detailed updated guidelines of Family Sponsorship. I just checked the cic site and their checklist is not yet updated. Thanks again

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nursemich said:
Thank you for your reply :) Ill just wait next year. Where can I find the detailed updated guidelines of Family Sponsorship. I just checked the cic site and their checklist is not yet updated. Thanks again
If your income in 2011 was short, then you won't qualify for 2011 either, no matter how many months you were working.

If the current rules stay the same and program re-opens in January of each year with a cap, then with NOA from 2012, 2013 and 2014, you would have to wait until January 2016 to try applying.

goal80

Star Member
Jan 17, 2012
mssga said:
Hi. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue. I sent in my complete sponsorship application. However, looking over the photocopies I realized that I made a very stupid mistake. On one of the forms where I signed my name, i put the date as 2013-01-02, instead of 2014-01-02. This makes it look like I signed the form a year ago which obviously is not possible as they weren't out then. I called CIC and they suggested sending in a whole new application package as they are unsure how it will be handled.

What I am afraid of is - if I send a new application with an explanation letter of why I am sending a second application, and I don't make it in time for the 5000 cut-off, then I am just drawing more attention to the signed date error on my first application, which otherwise may be overlooked?
On the other hand, perhaps it is better to correct this error now rather than someone at some point in time, make a fuss over it.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this kind of situation or can suggest something? Thanks.
You don't have an application number so that you can send updated information.
If you submit a whole new application, they will find it duplicate.
I would leave it as it is. When you receive a file number, you can resubmit this application with a covering letter explaining the issue.
This is my opinion.

nush78l

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Did you guys include the original marriage certificate for your parents or only a copy. The document check list doesn't say copy/photocopy - does this mean only the original is acceptable?

goal80

Star Member
Jan 17, 2012
nush78l said:
Did you guys include the original marriage certificate for your parents or only a copy. The document check list doesn't say copy/photocopy - does this mean only the original is acceptable?
You can send photocopy notary certified as a true copy.
Personally I submitted a photocopy without notary.

nush78l

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
goal80 said:
You can send photocopy notary certified as a true copy.
Personally I submitted a photocopy without notary.
Aren't you taking a risk by not submitting what they want?

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
mssga said:

I don't think you need to send another application in, and if you do you'll most probably miss the cut-off. I have made several small mistakes here and there myself due to the rush. Could they send our applications back and say submit again, possibly but quite frankly that would be very un confederate from them. I think if we get to be part of the 5000 applications we'll might get a letter from CIC requesting the information we missed or new forms. any other thoughts?