+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship of parents and grandparents for Canadian Permanent Residence

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pektusin said:
Hmm, interesting. The only reason I am not including her as a co-signer is that I'm making enough to be a sponsor myself. Sure I can write a couple lines explaining this.

Regarding the annual gross income, now it confuses me even more. The job offer that I received was stating my salary and other benefits like stock options. Price of the stock option was changing all the time. Moreover, the salary number was valid for less than a year, then I got an increase each year. So what is the annual gross income in this case? In addition to this, I quit that job and started in another company in the middle of a year. As I understood it, I had to count all the money that company gave me from the first day to the last day, so I added employment income from all my T4's from both companies.

Thank you for your replies.
So do not have to over complicate the things. Just put ur latest job's basic rate in gross income.

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

Got a quick question: I satisfy the LICO requirements alone but I was thinking of adding my wife as co-signer so as to be future proof. Now, she has been working in Canada for 2 years only. Moreover, her income "alone" does not meet LICO requirements. Can I still add her? I remember reading in the guide that co-signer needs to have the same eligibility criteria as the sponsor. Does that mean she needs to meet the LICO requirements too?

Thanks.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
blueboy said:
Hey guys,

Got a quick question: I satisfy the LICO requirements alone but I was thinking of adding my wife as co-signer so as to be future proof. Now, she has been working in Canada for 2 years only. Moreover, her income "alone" does not meet LICO requirements. Can I still add her? I remember reading in the guide that co-signer needs to have the same eligibility criteria as the sponsor. Does that mean she needs to meet the LICO requirements too?

Thanks.
It doesn't work that way. Your wife's income is simply added to your total income when she is a co-signer. Both your income and your wife's income COMBINED must meet the LICO requirements. It doesnt matter if either one of you didnt meet lico alone so long as both income meet the lico together.

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
It doesn't work that way. Your wife's income is simply added to your total income when she is a co-signer. Both your income and your wife's income COMBINED must meet the LICO requirements. It doesnt matter if either one of you didnt meet lico alone so long as both income meet the lico together.
Oh OK. I thought so but wanted to confirm. Is it OK if her income for 2012 was $0? My income for 2012 still meets the LICO. Actually my wife came to Canada in 2013 (under spousal sponsorship). Does that matter?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
blueboy said:
Oh OK. I thought so but wanted to confirm. Is it OK if her income for 2012 was $0? My income for 2012 still meets the LICO. Actually my wife came to Canada in 2013 (under spousal sponsorship). Does that matter?
It doesnt matter so long as you both pass lico requirement for 3 taxation years whether your wife was not in Canada in 2012.

It is quite common to have a newly sponsored PR landing in one year and can apply for parent PR the following year in Jan so long as sponsored PR has a co-signer to cover the 3 years, the PR spouse wasnt in Canada.

akumar1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2016
Doc's Request.
27-04-2016
AOR Received.
06-04-2016
File Transfer...
21-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-11-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2016
LANDED..........
20-7-2016
Hello Everyone,

I am filling out the application for my Mother under 2016 PGP.
I am almost complete with my paperwork however given the nature where she is physically brings few doubts in my mind regarding her country of residence and mailing address correspondence.
My Mother:
She is a citizen of India and holds an Indian passport. She is currently in USA with my brother on visitor visa until Feb. 15th 2016. She also holds a Super visa from Canada which she will use to enter Canada in Feb. 2016 to come and stay for some time with me. As we all know the 2016 PGP application intake opens on 4th Jan 2016. Following are my doubts which I need some mentoring from some of you here in the community:

1. Form - Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
Question 10: Current country of Residence: United States of America Visitor 2015-xx-xx to 2016-02-xx
Question 11: It is blacked out.
Question 12: Previous countries of Residence other than Country of Citizenship if more than 6 months. Filled Canada Visitor from 2014-03-xx to 2014-12-xx as she stayed for more than 6 months with me last year on super visa.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Mailing Address: Sponsor Address i.e. My address in Canada
Residential Address: What should be the best Address here? Can I give Mine (Canada)or Brother (USA where she is currently living) or her native country where she is a citizen of India? And do we fill in the Representative form if mailing and Residential address will be different?

2. Form - 8. Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
Section A: My mother details with her present address of USA where she is staying in with my brother.

a. Please advice if the answers for the Form IMM 0008 are correct?
b. Please advice what should be the correct Mailing and Residential Address. Really struggling here.
c. IS the Address in Form IMM 5406 is also correct?

I would appreciate the people reading my queries and taking time to help me with completing my forms.
Thanks,

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was just wondering if it is ok if we take the Notice of Assessment printout from CRA. I dont have the copies that i got by mail. Please advice.

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emceemouli said:
I was just wondering if it is ok if we take the Notice of Assessment printout from CRA. I dont have the copies that i got by mail. Please advice.
It should be fine. They are the official NOAs too. I am myself printing out the last NOA from the site.

cancherry

Jan 3, 2016
Hi

I have a quick question about this line for the 2016 application for parents application.

"Note: If you are applying in 2016, you must provide proof of income from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the taxation years of 2014, 2013 and 2012"

I have been in canada for 2.5 years and just became PR. However I was in the US before that and have sufficient income to meet the requirements to sponsor my parents for all years. Does the above indicate that I cannot sponsor my parents because I won't have income in Canada for the year 2012 as I was not here ?
Does this mean I actually have to wait till next year even though I would have met the income requirements ?
::)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
cancherry said:
Hi

I have a quick question about this line for the 2016 application for parents application.

"Note: If you are applying in 2016, you must provide proof of income from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the taxation years of 2014, 2013 and 2012"

I have been in canada for 2.5 years and just became PR. However I was in the US before that and have sufficient income to meet the requirements to sponsor my parents for all years. Does the above indicate that I cannot sponsor my parents because I won't have income in Canada for the year 2012 as I was not here ?
Does this mean I actually have to wait till next year even though I would have met the income requirements ?
It must be income filed through CANADIAN income taxes only, so no your income while living in the US would not have counted. Not to mention if you haven't already mailed your app by now, you probably had no chance to make the cap this year anyways.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
cancherry said:
Hi

Your US income would not count towards LICO since CIC dictates that income must come from Canadian sourced income. Even if you declared your US income to Canadian income tax, they would not count as your US income was not Canadian sourced.

cancherry

Jan 3, 2016
>> if you haven't already mailed your app by now, you probably had no chance to make the cap this year anyways.

Just so that I understand and don't make the folly next time around are you suggesting that I should have mailed in the application already by now even though application acceptance begins tomorrow 8 am ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
screech339 said:
Your US income would not count towards LICO since CIC dictates that income must come from Canadian sourced income. Even if you declared your US income to Canadian income tax, they would not count as your US income was not Canadian sourced.
Actually the income doesn't need to be Canadian if you are living in Canada while the income is earned. So someone commuting to the US for work, collecting foreign investments, or working remotely for a foreign company... can count that income into LICO as long as it's all done through proper CRA tax returns.

Mhalik

Dec 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
VEG
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-01-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Hi there,
I need some help. I was sponsored by my husband year 2012 and landed as PR april 2015. I worked last year for few months only but decided to stop because of our kids still so young. Im not working currently, can i sponsor my parents with my husband as co-signer?

Thanks for reply