+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship of parents and grandparents for Canadian Permanent Residence

petersiddle28

Oct 12, 2013
mastersonicdog said:
Is there a difference between the Option C/NOA vs the printout in "My Account" from the CRA website? Some of the agents from CIC that I talked to does not know at all...
Option C comes from CRA, they need that, not the my account one

mastersonicdog

Jan 1, 2014
Can someone clarify this for me? It is my first time filling this out and I am very confused..I hope to sponsor my mom and dad. I have 3 sisters - age 31,23,21.

1. Generic application form for canada - IMM0008ENU_2D.pdf: So I will fill this for my mom and dad. At the end of the form there is a option to "add dependent".. I am assuming this is so that you do not have to fill out "Additional dependents - IMM0008DEPENU.pdf". Do I have to put my 3 sisters info here? That's what I got from the guide.. "You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. You must also provide details on family members whose location is unknown (including those missing or presumed dead). If you don’t, you will not be able to sponsor family members at a later date if they are not listed on your application." What should I do?

2. Assuming I put my sister's info in the generic application form, what do I put in on the question "How many family members, including you, are in this application(see instruction guide)?" A poster here said 2 (mom and dad) instead of 5 (all my sisters)..but when I validated the form, it gave me an error stating the I should put in 5. Which is right?

3. Assuming the right answer in the form above is "5" - Do they need to fill out the form "Background Declaration - IMM5669E.pdf" for each of my sisters?

4. On the Canada Revenue Agency website, there is an option to see all your returns online using "My account"... sometime ago I hired a Live in Caregiver and instead of giving my notice of assessment that they asked, I printed out my tax return from the website and HRSDC accepted it. Will CIC accept the printout? What is the difference between the printout and the required "Option C"?

5. My husband is a co-signer, and he earns significantly more than me. His income alone is way above the required LICO+30%. Can I just submit his printout from the CRA website(assuming they accept it)? Unfortunately I cannot find my notice of assessment.. :(

Sorry for the Wall of text. You guys have been a lot of help, and I will try to contribute as much as I can. Thanks in advance!

DenCanada

Jan 2, 2014
Happy New Year, everybody!
I've just sent the mail to my friend in Toronto who will courier it to Mississauga CPC tomorrow and realized that I have included the photocopy of the birth certificate that is NOT notarized.
Any advice what I should do:
1. Send another complete package with certified photocopy.
2. Send only the certified photocopy and ask them to add it to the documents.
3. Tell my friend NOT to courier it tomorrow and send another complete package so it is delivered on Friday?

Which option to pick?
From one hand I worry that if they receive two packages in CIC, they will return both of them (being confused and such).
From the other hand I worried that Friday (Jan 3) will be too late for the 5,000 cap (if I choose option #3) :-\

mastersonicdog

Jan 1, 2014
DenCanada said:
Happy New Year, everybody!
I've just sent the mail to my friend in Toronto who will courier it to Mississauga CPC tomorrow and realized that I have included the photocopy of the birth certificate that is NOT notarized.
Any advice what I should do:
1. Send another complete package with certified photocopy.
2. Send only the certified photocopy and ask them to add it to the documents.
3. Tell my friend NOT to courier it tomorrow and send another complete package so it is delivered on Friday?

Which option to pick?
From one hand I worry that if they receive two packages in CIC, they will return both of them (being confused and such).
From the other hand I worried that Friday (Jan 3) will be too late for the 5,000 cap (if I choose option #3) :-\
Is the birth certificate not in english?
Guide 5772 states the following:
"Translation of documents:Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by-the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.

Certified true copies

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:
“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
the name of the original document,
the date of the certification,
his or her name,
his or her official position or title, and
his or her signature."
---
If not in english, then yeah, you need it notarized. Otherwise, nothing in the document checklist says that we need to send a certified true copy:
PR card- photocopy
Marriage Certificate for co signer- photocopy
Birth Certificate- photocopy
Passport/travel document- photocopy
Marriage Certificate of applicant- Now I know the form does not say photocopy but I've asked 2 CIC agents about this and they said photocopy is ok.. Typo error maybe?

Hope this helps..

roins

Dec 31, 2013
For questions 15 and 18 of the financial evaluation (the employment history), should our family size listing include the current undertaking... aka 4 (my wife, her parents, and me)?

Our thinking is that it is supposed to reflect your family size at the time of employment... so it mostly says 1 (when we were single, respectively) or, 2, once we were married.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

mastersonicdog

Jan 1, 2014
roins said:
For questions 15 and 18 of the financial evaluation (the employment history), should our family size listing include the current undertaking... aka 4 (my wife, her parents, and me)?

Our thinking is that it is supposed to reflect your family size at the time of employment... so it mostly says 1 (when we were single, respectively) or, 2, once we were married.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Question 15 and 18 - "Provide your employment history, including periods of unemployment for the last THREE consecutive taxation years preceding your application"

You put in your family size during the time period..mine was 2010=2 (me and spouse), 2011=2 (same), 2012 up to present=3 (son was born sep 2013).

Hope this helps.

roins

Dec 31, 2013
mastersonicdog said:
Question 15 and 18 - "Provide your employment history, including periods of unemployment for the last THREE consecutive taxation years preceding your application"

You put in your family size during the time period..mine was 2010=2 (me and spouse), 2011=2 (same), 2012 up to present=3 (son was born sep 2013).

Hope this helps.
Yes, we've gone with the same logic. 1 for 2010, and then 2 in 2011 as we were married then. We also included a note for the 2011 year indicating we were married in August.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
Did anyone apply for parent sponsorship and then applied for TRV (visitor visa)? Do they reject the visitor visa appl only because of sponsorship application?

avn

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
18-12-2017
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
Does anyone know in the form IMM5768E where it asks for employment history
In the dates do they just want the last 3 years? If I've been with the same employer for 16 years do I put the date from 16 years ago or 2011 Jan 2nd?
Also for the gross income/benefits for period of the last 3 years?

THANKS

toronto27

Star Member
May 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Jan-2014 11:15am
avn said:
Does anyone know in the form IMM5768E where it asks for employment history
In the dates do they just want the last 3 years? If I've been with the same employer for 16 years do I put the date from 16 years ago or 2011 Jan 2nd?
Also for the gross income/benefits for period of the last 3 years?

THANKS
If you put down all 16 years you will need to provide total figure of earning for all 16 years in the last column as they are asking for "Gross Income/Benefits for Period". I provided them last four years figure even though my income is way above requirement from many years.

shampy2009

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Guys, Do i have to fill in 2 separate sets of applications for my parents? or It can be a single set but with individual applications? Also they did not update the LICO table yet, I have tried to get hold of someone at CIC Call center, it is going in loop :p.

Just curios how the LICO income will work for the year 2010, Since I did not have a baby during the time frame, Does that mean no. of persons for LICO purpose should I consider 4 for year 2010 and 2011 or still 5 (Parents+My baby born last year + I and my spouse).

My gut feeling tells me it should be 5 but it never hurts to ask.

mastersonicdog

Jan 1, 2014
shampy2009 said:
Guys, Do i have to fill in 2 separate sets of applications for my parents? or It can be a single set but with individual applications?
One set only - Either your mom or dad can be the "Principal Applicant", and the other one will be the dependent.

petersiddle28

Oct 12, 2013
Godzilla9 said:
Did anyone apply for parent sponsorship and then applied for TRV (visitor visa)? Do they reject the visitor visa appl only because of sponsorship application?
Lot of folks have done that, see in parents main thread. No issue

toronto27

Star Member
May 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Jan-2014 11:15am
shampy2009 said:
Guys, Do i have to fill in 2 separate sets of applications for my parents? or It can be a single set but with individual applications?
You will need single application where your mom probably be the dependent of your dad or other way around.

Very important to understand this terms while filling up the forms:
Sponsor > you and/or your spouse
Principal applicant > your dad
Dependent > your mom

I came across a few people who are confused about Principal Applicant.

avn

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
18-12-2017
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
# 9 Total income available to sponsor

Indicate the amount of money that you have by adding in lines 16 h) and 19 h) found in Income Sources – Sponsor and Income Source - Co-signer.

Note: Complete this financial evaluation before entering your number. This is the amount of money that you and, if applicable, your co-signer have available to sponsor.

Since they ask for the income of the last 3 years in those boxes ... Do they wants the total for all 3 years or most recent year?