+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship of Dependent Child

soozy777

Jun 8, 2009
Hi,
I recently asked about Sponsorship of Common-Law partner and I received some helpful advice and comments for which I am very grateful.

My Canadian boyfriend and I will begin procedures for Sponsorship when I return to Canada in October.
I still have a couple of queries, one of which refers to my son who will be 22 yrs old this October and continuing his studies at University in the UK for a further two years. I am a little confused with the section 'Sponsorship of Dependent Children' on the CIC website, my son will be remaining in the UK for the forseeable future, and I would like to know is my Canadian partner required to Sponsor my son and will he be classed as a dependent child because he's still at University?
Also, I have been advised on here to apply for Sponsorship Outland, therefore do we send all our paperwork and forms etc., to the London office address as I have seen only two addresses on the CIC web site and both are in Canada?
Any help with these matters would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to list your son as a non-accompanying dependent if you don't want to sponsor him at this time. Your partner is not required to sponsor him. If you want to sponsor him later when you get your PR, you can do that as long as he's still studying because while he's still studying, he's still dependent.

For outland, you send your application to Mississauga and once they are done with it, they will send it to London.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
You have to list your son as a non-accompanying dependent if you don't want to sponsor him at this time. Your partner is not required to sponsor him. If you want to sponsor him later when you get your PR, you can do that as long as he's still studying because while he's still studying, he's still dependent.

For outland, you send your application to Mississauga and once they are done with it, they will send it to London.
Why complicate matters, especially if the son drops out or takes a gap year. Include him as dependent in the application, as accompanying, he gets his PR as although he is over 22 he has been studying since before 22. He gets his PR, comes to Canada, "lands" returns to his studies. He can then remain outside Canada for 3 years before his PR is lost.

PMM

soozy777

Jun 8, 2009
Thanks to you both for your quick response, I was mainly concerned about whether my boyfriend would have to sponsor my son at the same time he is sponsoring me and you have cleared that up for me.
My son is quite happy to continue his studies in the UK and look at his options at a later date depending on the job opportunities in Canada.