+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship from inside or outside Canada

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Hi

I had another topic with same subject but the site suggested to start a new one.

I am a PR, my wife she is on a visit visa with multiple entry and she is staying inside Canada now.

I am filling the sponsorship applications and start to worry again about applying from inside or outside. I heard from some people that outside is faster, and other people saying Cairo office is delaying and inside is faster!

I asked a lawyer, he said that I cant apply from outside when she is physically staying inside, since when she will send the passport to Cairo office for visa they will notice that she entered Canada and didn't left while I am saying she is outside which is against the law!!

Also another question regarding the application (IMM0008), what I have to write in the current mailing address and residential address? shall I write an address in Canada since she is in, and if so, where to mention or in which application have to request to process the file from outside Canada?

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
nader gamal said:
Hi

I had another topic with same subject but the site suggested to start a new one.

I am a PR, my wife she is on a visit visa with multiple entry and she is staying inside Canada now.

I am filling the sponsorship applications and start to worry again about applying from inside or outside. I heard from some people that outside is faster, and other people saying Cairo office is delaying and inside is faster!

I asked a lawyer, he said that I cant apply from outside when she is physically staying inside, since when she will send the passport to Cairo office for visa they will notice that she entered Canada and didn't left while I am saying she is outside which is against the law!!

Also another question regarding the application (IMM0008), what I have to write in the current mailing address and residential address? shall I write an address in Canada since she is in, and if so, where to mention or in which application have to request to process the file from outside Canada?

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks
There are no issues with applying outland while residing in Canada. Your wife simply has to keep legal status while in Canada by extending her visitor visa, lots of people do this so don't worry. Just put your address in Canada on the application form. CIC will decide where they process your application so you don't need to specify this. All applications get sent to Mississagua in the first instance and then they will send to file to whatever office they deem appropriate to process the applicants file once you have SA.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Agree with Brucem.
Your lawyer is wrong. You can apply Outland even if you're living in Canada.
Good luck.

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Hi Brucem

Thanks for the reply.

You said : Just put your address in Canada on the application form. CIC will decide where they process your application so you don't need to specify this.

Now the question is if they will decide where to process the application and I will put an address in Canada, so logic they will decide to process from in land, please correct me if am wrong.

And again, if they have to decide regardless the address written, so what is differentiating the in land and out land applications ?

Can I write her address in Egypt (as it is her permanent address) so the decision will be taken to process it from out land and I can benefit from the faster processing time or I will be lying at this point?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nader gamal said:
To put it very nicely, that lawyer is a complete idiot when it comes to immigration rules.

There is absolutely no problem in submitting an outland app while being in Canada. It's one of the most basic rules out there. CIC even recommends in their inland guide to apply outland instead if possible to take advantage of quicker processing times.

And again, if they have to decide regardless the address written, so what is differentiating the in land and out land applications ?

Can I write her address in Egypt (as it is her permanent address) so the decision will be taken to process it from out land and I can benefit from the faster processing time or I will be lying at this point?
Inland or outland is determined by which application package you use.
Inland - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp
Outland - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

There is no need to put any address outside Canada. If she is currently residing in Canada, then just Canadian address is fine for the outland app. It will still be sent to outland visa office for processing. CIC doesn't care whatsoever if applicant is in Canada or elsewhere.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
nader gamal said:
Hi Brucem

Thanks for the reply.

You said : Just put your address in Canada on the application form. CIC will decide where they process your application so you don't need to specify this.

Now the question is if they will decide where to process the application and I will put an address in Canada, so logic they will decide to process from in land, please correct me if am wrong.

As Rob said there is no issue with you putting a Canadian address for an Outland application and again as Rob showed above the difference is in the application package, so don't worry!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I'm stunned how many immigration lawyers don't fully understand the immigration rules. You have people on this forum who are not professionals who are much more knowledgeable!

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Thanks for your replies.

I have another question regarding the identity and civil documents, marriage certificate, etc... I have to send originals of these documents or copies?
and it should be approved by a notary public or just translated?

Also what is the exact fees should be paid, is it 75$+475$+550$, and all should be paid at once or what?

Please advise.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
nader gamal said:
Thanks for your replies.

I have another question regarding the identity and civil documents, marriage certificate, etc... I have to send originals of these documents or copies?
and it should be approved by a notary public or just translated?

Also what is the exact fees should be paid, is it 75$+475$+550$, and all should be paid at once or what?

Please advise.
Read your country-specific guide. Some applicants need to send originals, others notarized copies, and others can send regular copies.

It's recommended that you pay the fees upfront to avoid delays. I'm not sure what the 550$ you listed is. You need to pay a total of 1040$, 75$ for the sponsorship fee, 475$ for the principal applicant, and 490$ for the Right of Permanent Residence.

Romeo

May 14, 2013
Interesting, I didn't realize this. So then a question is, let's assume Outland is faster in all cases than Inland. Then why would anyone bother applying Inland?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Romeo said:
Interesting, I didn't realize this. So then a question is, let's assume Outland is faster in all cases than Inland. Then why would anyone bother applying Inland?
perhaps they are from a country that sees a 2+ year approval time or perhaps they are now out of status in Canada. besides that, there really isn't a reason to apply inland...right now.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Romeo said:
If someone is here on a temporary visa which will be expiring, and they are not confident they can renew it, then even with an Outland application in progress they will need to leave Canada once their visa expires and wait out the processing in home country. So for non-visa-exempt applicants, if being together in Canada with their spouse is the most important thing then an inland app can make more sense.

Plus there is the new pilot program aimed to get OWPs to inland applicants quicker (CIC says 4 months after applying but we will see).

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Please advise if the translated documents should be certified by a notary public, or just translated. I am talking about applying out land in Cairo office.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nader gamal said:
Please advise if the translated documents should be certified by a notary public, or just translated. I am talking about applying out land in Cairo office.
Read the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Translation of documents
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:
-the English or French translation; and
-an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
-a certified copy of the original document.

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Hi

I have a question regarding paying the fees. I will apply out land while my wife will be staying in Canada, shall I use the IMM 5401 which should be used from within Canada applications (while our application is actually from outside) or what is the payment method other than credit card?

Also please advise about extending her stay in Canada, what is the application and fees required to extend her PRV visa, noting she is holding a multiple entry for 4 years.

Regards