+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship from Indonesia

Feb 23, 2011
Hi,
I live in Indonesia and my husband is a Canada's citizen.
We want to apply for Spousal sponsorship outland. Right now, we are both staying in Indonesia. We decide to enter Canada together despite the sponsorship still in process.
If I want to enter Canada by applying for open work permit while in the process of sponsorship, is it possible? or it would be best for me to apply tourist visa?
and, because we already decided to enter Canada, which visa office should I write down at the application? Singapore, which is the visa office for Indonesia, or others which are located near Canada, such as Buffalo?

thanks in advance.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Inland - you believe you can apply for OWP once the first stage approval is one - around 9 months. If you are in canada you can apply inland BUT that does not guarantee that you will get a visa extension when your initial tourist visa expires. If you have to leave and cannot re-enter canada then your inland application is canceled and you'll have to reapply outland.

Outland - you can apply outland from inside canada and generally this is faster than applying inland BUT you cannot apply for an OWP and if you get called for an interview, you must return to indonesia for it.

Remember that until you receive your PR you are only a visitor in Canada- if you try to move your things into Canada you will likely be rejected when you try to enter. You will need to prove that you intend to leave Canada - return ticket, job/house in indonesia, etc.

There is lots of information on this on other threads... do some research

Feb 23, 2011
Hi waitingintz,
thanks for your reply. I am still reading on other threads, there're lots of it, more reading makes me more confused, that's why I decided to post this topic.

Now, about the visa office, can I choose the visa office which is located near Canada, so if they ask for an interview I could go there, instead of go to Singapore, which is the visa office applicable for Indonesia?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can apply for a tourist visa, but you probably won't get one. In which case you have to apply outland and will have to go through the Singapore office.

If you managed to get a tourist visa, you could go to Canada and then apply inland. You could also still apply outland, but the visa office would still be Singapore.

You can use Buffalo as your visa office only if you have been granted admission to the USA or Canada for a year. A tourist visa won't be enough.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
I believe the rule is that you can apply through the visa office for any country in which you are a citizen or to which you have been accepted for at least one year. So you can only apply from Buffalo if you have a visa allowing you to stay there for a year (work or study permit, etc).

The guides do have a lot of information in them... I know it might not be fun to sit and read through it all but you definitely need to do that because in the end you are responsible for your own process. While there are many people happy to give advice on this forum, most of us are not experts and our responses are based on our experiences and what we've heard from others on this forum. Only you know your full situation and thus you are in the best position to make decisions such as inland vs outland. Read through the guides carefully and use this forum as a supplement.