+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Sponsorship Application has been approved in principle"

pheonixia

Feb 12, 2014
On canadavisa.com it says:

19. Can a Sponsored person work or study in Canada if their application is being processed in Canada?

While waiting for their Canada Immigration Visas, Sponsored persons are allowed to work or study in Canada only after the Sponsorship Application has been approved in principle by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They will then be granted an Open Work Permit or a Study Permit.

Of course, if the Sponsored person was already in Canada on a valid Work Permit or Study Permit, they may continue to work or study as the case may be.
I know that sponsorship is a two-part procedure:
1) I (the sponsor) will get assessed - which will take about 34 days
2) The person being sponsored will be assessed - which will take 3 years according to their home country

In regards to the statement: "Sponsored persons are allowed to work or study in Canada only after the Sponsorship Application has been approved in principle by Citizenship and Immigration Canada" does this mean that the sponsored person will have a work/study permit after I have been assessed or do they mean something else?

If they do get a work/study permit after I have been assessed does this mean they can come to Canada to work/study, while the rest of the three year process is being completed in their home country?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Your 34 days for approval timeline is for an Outland application. Inland approval of sponsor is currently ~ 8-9 months.

If you apply Inland, the applicant is eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit (OWP) after the sponsor has been approved.
For an outland applicant, an OWP is not available.

It looks like the quote from canadavisa.com pertains to an Inland (in-Canada) applicant.

pheonixia

Feb 12, 2014
1. Your 34 days for approval timeline is for an Outland application. Inland approval of sponsor is currently ~ 8-9 months.

If you apply Inland, the applicant is eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit (OWP) after the sponsor has been approved.
For an outland applicant, an OWP is not available.

It looks like the quote from canadavisa.com pertains to an Inland (in-Canada) applicant.
Thank you. Where do I go on the Government of Canada website to find the Inland application? Because when I search 'sponsor spouse' it just connects me with the Outland application.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're welcome.

Here is the link for the In-Canada (Inland) application:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

As you will see, your partner/spouse must be in Canada to use this application.

Once your partner/spouse is in Canada and you send in the application, the entire process could take anywhere from 9-10 months (if you're really lucky*), to well over a year, BUT...your partner/spouse would be able to work in Canada after you are approved as the sponsor, which takes about 8-9 months.

*- Some applicants have been fortunate to receive AIP (sponsor approval) and DM (decision made) simultaneously, though many do not.

pheonixia

Feb 12, 2014
Thank you! You are awesome!

Last question: it says on the website that as a sponsor I am financially responsible for my spouse. What does this entail? (How much should I be making or prove to be making? What kind of proof do I have to show?)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are no income requirements for you to sponsor your spouse, but you cannot be on social assistance (i.e. welfare). You do have to show that you will be able to financial support you and your spouse while s/he is living with you in Canada, either with your own income or assistance from your family.

Also, please be aware that if you sponsor your spouse, you will be responsible for him/her for 3 years. If the unthinkable happens and you divorce...and your spouse DOES go on welfare within that 3 year period...you would be responsible for reimbursing Canada for the entire amount. Nothing to worrty about, but it's important for a sponsor to really understand what they're committing to, right?