+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship AOR confusion

Hanabee

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Hi everyone

My partner received an email from IRCC, am I right to say this is AOR? or anyone knows ?
The letter has no tittle such as ''Receipt of Acknowledgement etc.,''
But it was

''This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or Common-
Law Partner in Canada Class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final
decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident
have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you
and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not
applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you
and all your family members have met these requirements.
...''

Please help! Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like an AIP (Approval in Principle) letter to me.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html

Approved in principle / Approval in principle (AIP)
Your application is “approved in principle (AIP)” if:

• you have received a letter from IRCC stating that you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but
  • you still have to pass the medical, security and background checks for you and, if needed, your family members.
Congrats!

Hanabee

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Looks like an AIP (Approval in Principle) letter to me.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html

Approved in principle / Approval in principle (AIP)
Your application is “approved in principle (AIP)” if:

• you have received a letter from IRCC stating that you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but
  • you still have to pass the medical, security and background checks for you and, if needed, your family members.
Congrats!
Seriously? :eek: we didn't even get the medical request
Biometrics done a week ago and Sponsor approval letter at the same time
o_OI'm wondering where is the AOR
Kind of confused ..

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Some people report of never receiving actual AOR. Anyway, if you already received BIO and SA with all UCIs and Application numbers why care about AOR? :) AOR is usually the first thing and it just an indicator that your initial application was accepted and seems complete. AFAIK they usually don't start any processing if there is something missing.

CADragon

Star Member
Jun 26, 2015
Hi everyone

My partner received an email from IRCC, am I right to say this is AOR? or anyone knows ?
The letter has no tittle such as ''Receipt of Acknowledgement etc.,''
But it was

''This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or Common-
Law Partner in Canada Class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final
decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident
have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you
and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not
applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you
and all your family members have met these requirements.
...''

Please help! Thank you!
If this e-mail/letter has a UCI & File number, then it's probably an AOR, despite the title.
Now you can create an account with the tracker (using UCI and file number) > there you'll know for sure what is it.
It's always good to share your timelines so everyone knows.
Cheers

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Feel more like AIP letter indeed as I got the AOR yesterday with this text (our application include an dependant too) :

UCI:**********
Application No.: F*********
Quote these numbers when corresponding with our office.

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

Dear XXXXXXX YYYYYYYY,

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2023/01/31 on behalf of the following member(s):

XXXXX YYYYYY
XXXX XXXXX YYYYYY

Reactions: sarahsbanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If this e-mail/letter has a UCI & File number, then it's probably an AOR, despite the title.
Now you can create an account with the tracker (using UCI and file number) > there you'll know for sure what is it.
It's always good to share your timelines so everyone knows.
Cheers
Definitely not AOR because of this part:
as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

If it was simply AOR, how would IRCC know instantly that the applicant's sponsor has been approved to be a sponsor (which is mandatory for AIP)?

Last edited: