+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Agreement Holder refugee arrivals?

Some Guy

Aug 6, 2020
Hey everyone,

I wasn't sure which section this would best fit. Either "Settlement Issues" or "Refugees and Asylum". Either way...

I'm a Canadian citizen, living in Canada. Before Covid started, myself and some friends began the process of a Sponsorship Agreement Holder sponsorship, to privately sponsor two individuals to Canada. This whole thing has been taken care of, and the application is nearly about to be submitted. I've been told that the application review usually takes approximately two months.

What I'm really more curious and uncertain about is whether the two individuals being sponsored will be able to fly to Canada once they've been approved, as things are right now?

Obviously citizens and Permanent Residents can still fly here. The individuals being sponsored will ultimately get Permanent Residence after landing. I know they'll be given some kind of travel document for flying here. I'm actually not sure what it is though. But because it effectively allows them to come here and then receive Permanent Residence, does anyone know if they'd be able to fly here? Or will borders and international flights have to open up a bit more normally first? The Canadian embassy are the ones that will book the flights, so they will surely have access to the most updated information.

I'm obviously hoping they can fly here shortly after their case is approved, because their temporary living situation still isn't too safe for them, but I really have no idea. On one hand, it seems it would make more sense to do it that way. They have to pass a medical examination as part of their application. But if they still have to remain in the country they are currently in for several months longer, it seems like that just runs a greater risk of them catching Covid during that time, after they pass their medical exam.

There is some information available here, but I'm just not entirely sure exactly what applies here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html

I've been in occasional personal contact with a Canadian ambassador of the country the individuals are currently in. Next time I email him in a week or so, I was going to ask if he has any idea how this stuff will work.

I figured I would ask here too, because I've actually learned a lot by reading through this forum throughout the last couple of years.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone,

I wasn't sure which section this would best fit. Either "Settlement Issues" or "Refugees and Asylum". Either way...

I'm a Canadian citizen, living in Canada. Before Covid started, myself and some friends began the process of a Sponsorship Agreement Holder sponsorship, to privately sponsor two individuals to Canada. This whole thing has been taken care of, and the application is nearly about to be submitted. I've been told that the application review usually takes approximately two months.

What I'm really more curious and uncertain about is whether the two individuals being sponsored will be able to fly to Canada once they've been approved, as things are right now?

Obviously citizens and Permanent Residents can still fly here. The individuals being sponsored will ultimately get Permanent Residence after landing. I know they'll be given some kind of travel document for flying here. I'm actually not sure what it is though. But because it effectively allows them to come here and then receive Permanent Residence, does anyone know if they'd be able to fly here? Or will borders and international flights have to open up a bit more normally first? The Canadian embassy are the ones that will book the flights, so they will surely have access to the most updated information.

I'm obviously hoping they can fly here shortly after their case is approved, because their temporary living situation still isn't too safe for them, but I really have no idea. On one hand, it seems it would make more sense to do it that way. They have to pass a medical examination as part of their application. But if they still have to remain in the country they are currently in for several months longer, it seems like that just runs a greater risk of them catching Covid during that time, after they pass their medical exam.

There is some information available here, but I'm just not entirely sure exactly what applies here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html

I've been in occasional personal contact with a Canadian ambassador of the country the individuals are currently in. Next time I email him in a week or so, I was going to ask if he has any idea how this stuff will work.

I figured I would ask here too, because I've actually learned a lot by reading through this forum throughout the last couple of years.

Thanks!
Once the application is approved and COPR (landing document) is received, they will be able to travel to Canada.

Processing times for applications are typically around 2-3 years although it does somewhat depend on the applicant's country of origin.