canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
harkaran333 said:
now this last post actually answers my questions and i think I am not concerned anymore. I initially confused you for sure by saying that I am in a common law. In that case i am sure we wont have a problem in the future.

Sorry for asking weird questions, you have actually answered my query. Thanks for your time :)
If you don't include her and later apply to sponsor her, she will have to list that she lived at the same address as you for over a year. IRCC will then either issue a Procedural Fairness letter telling you to prove that you were NOT in a relationship at the time (which is next to impossible to prove) or outright reject the app.

harkaran333

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Sir, you are correct but then i do see lot of couples living at the same residence while studying. They fall in love and later plan to marry. This means while studying if they ever apply for a permit they need to put a common law status there. People go into relationships and break up as well. This means they will have to keep declaring it to CIC

Yes, we lived in the same house which had 2 floors and i was in the basement along with 2 other men. We went into a relationship and changed the house in August 2015, she left Canada in December 2015.Originally one of my friend found this house and found 9 people to share the house to save the rent money. The house is where I met this girl and fell in love.

Now lets say if i do as you said which makes sense then I can actually get her to move with me sooner if i use that path but my concern is that we sort of shared the same house since 2015. in 2016 i applied for post-graduate work permit and she applied for tourist visa. We didnt mention common-law, we were 22-year-old people dating each other. But now if it's called as common law this will be bad for my existing permits?

On my PR application if i put common law, they will ask me why i didn't declare it earlier ( i never knew that this will be considered common law).

P.s we never had any same bank accounts, everything was different. floors were different, however it wouldn't show up on her ID as first or basement floor.

Please help :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
harkaran333 said:
Now lets say if i do as you said which makes sense then I can actually get her to move with me sooner if i use that path but my concern is that we sort of shared the same house since 2015. in 2016 i applied for post-graduate work permit and she applied for tourist visa. We didnt mention common-law, we were 22-year-old people dating each other. But now if it's called as common law this will be bad for my existing permits?

On my PR application if i put common law, they will ask me why i didn't declare it earlier ( i never knew that this will be considered common law).

P.s we never had any same bank accounts, everything was different. floors were different, however it wouldn't show up on her ID as first or basement floor.
Your PGWP is fine.

You are in an awkward position, in that you lived together but not in a true conjugal relationship. IRCC will just look at the fact that you were at the same address for over a year and assume you were living together in a conjugal relationship and therefore were common-law. Perhaps letters from the other housemates confirming that you were not living on the same floor would work to show you were not common-law and allow you to sponsor her after marriage.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
harkaran333 said:
Yes, we lived in the same house which had 2 floors and i was in the basement along with 2 other men.
If you were living in 2 different rooms, then technically that could be seen as not living at the same address. If you don't include her in your app now since you weren't really a conjugal couple cohabiting for 12 months, then you should indicate a room or apartment number in the address. i.e. you would be in 123 Any Street, Room/Apt 1, and she would be 123 Any Street, Room/Apt 5 (or however you wanted to designate it).

You may want to include the details here in your own PR app, since if CIC wants to designate this as a common-law situation they may force you to include her. But better for them to tell you this in your own PR app, rather than waiting until you try to sponsor her and find out she's now excluded from family class.

harkaran333

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Your PGWP is fine.

You are in an awkward position, in that you lived together but not in a true conjugal relationship. IRCC will just look at the fact that you were at the same address for over a year and assume you were living together in a conjugal relationship and therefore were common-law. Perhaps letters from the other housemates confirming that you were not living on the same floor would work to show you were not common-law and allow you to sponsor her after marriage.
That helps Sir. Now iam looking at another possibility that because of same address i have a possibility that i can say i was in common law so if i find a lawyer sign a sheet declaring our relation and then ask her to apply her a work permit. Will that effect our existing permits ? As in pgwp and her tourist visa our status was single but in work permit application ill put common relationship started in 2014. but i applied pgwp in 2015 saying iam single. Will that be fine ?.

this way she can come here and work and later we wont have a problem with PR also.