+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsors cannot be on Social Assistance... what counts?

richc3

Sep 20, 2013
I know social assistance is most often referred to as welfare, but I'm curious if it extends to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance program or British Columbia's Medical Services Plan Premium Assistance // Fair PharmaCare where low income earners pay less or nothing for insurance and medical supplies. My wife (being sponsored) is a type 1 diabetic so the cost of her supplies can be quite high without coverage.

Searching around here, it seems like many others are confused on what it entails as well. Tried to give CIC a call today to ask them myself, but apparently they were so busy they just hung up instead of leaving me on hold.

Thanks for any help or advice.

kittyandpipit

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2013
AOR Received.
31-10-2013
File Transfer...
sent to LA 14/06/2014
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
LANDED..........
been in Canada since may 2013
nice that they hung up on you!!!

so it says you *may* not sponsor if...
•get government financial help for reasons other than being disabled.

i think it just means that if you're receiving money... and its not cut and dry so just try and make as best a case you can, if its possible throw in some letters from family members willing to support you, or a plan on how you will support her and her medical expenses!!! lots of people get through with low income or being on unemployment, or unemployed! :)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
i believe it only means social welfare. ie: on a provincial list for receiving money or food for living. It doesn't refer to student loan assistance, disability,mat leave, and i can't see how prescription drug coverage would count either.

being low or no income is not a disqualifiying factor. there are many sponsors who do not earn an income. There is no denial for "excess medical costs" either, since it is spousal sponsorship.

richc3

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for the heads up guys.

I've actually been approved to sponsor it was just from my understanding during the undertaking of 2 or 3 years I cannot be on social assistance. Ultimately, I'll have to try calling them up again during the weekdays and hopefully get through.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
richc3 said:

I've actually been approved to sponsor it was just from my understanding during the undertaking of 2 or 3 years I cannot be on social assistance. Ultimately, I'll have to try calling them up again during the weekdays and hopefully get through.

it's not that you can't be on social assistance once the application is approved. it's if the PR goes on social assistance within 3 years of approval, the sponsor will be responsible for paying it back to canada.

kittyandpipit

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2013
AOR Received.
31-10-2013
File Transfer...
sent to LA 14/06/2014
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
LANDED..........
been in Canada since may 2013
richc3 said:

you can and your partner can...you will just have to pay back whatever social assistance your partner draws over the next 3 years..

BenA105

Star Member
Dec 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just saw this - so to clarify specifically, being enrolled on Pharmacare in BC will have zero affect on being approved as a sponsor? :)

Also, receiving GST Credit?

behrooz66

Star Member
Mar 12, 2013
BenA105 said:
Just saw this - so to clarify specifically, being enrolled on Pharmacare in BC will have zero affect on being approved as a sponsor? :)

Also, receiving GST Credit?
Hi Buddy, did you get a specific answer to this question? It is exactly my question and I appreciate if you share the answer with me

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The various provincial plans to pay for low-income earners drug costs are not what CIC means by 'social assistance'. Neither is the GST credit. Neither are student loan repayment schemes. Neither is employment insurance.
By 'you cannot be on social assistance' CIC means you cannot be receiving welfare. Welfare is not called welfare in most provinces, but it is money people get for rent, food, basic clothing, etc. when they cannot find a job. If you are on it, you will know it - you will have had to apply, you will have a case worker, you are supposed to work out a plan with this case worker to get off welfare, you have to prove you are looking for work (unless you are on disability or have some other reason you are not working).

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's Social assistance! Social Welfare....cuz if they Can't support themselves...how can they Sponsor someone Else...doesn't include EI, student loans etc....just Welfare

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Hi is there anyone to help
See this link for what is and isn't considered social assistance by cic.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1526&top=14

What is considered social assistance
Some benefits (money, goods or services) from provinces or territories are considered to be social assistance for the purpose of sponsoring. This includes assistance from the government to cover basic needs like:

• food
  • shelter
  • clothing
  • fuel
  • utilities
  • household supplies
  • health care not covered by public health care (extra benefits paid by the government to low-income people or others in need)
What isn’t considered social assistance
Social assistance doesn’t include:

• Employment Insurance
  • provincial student loans
  • immigration loans
  • subsidized housing
  • tax credits
  • child care subsidies
  • public health care (services your province or territory gives to all people who live there)
  • other benefits widely available to residents, including people who are working
Provinces and territories have created temporary programs to help people cope with the COVID-19 pandemic. We don’t consider these benefits to be social assistance if they aren’t considered as such by the province or territory.

Also not considered social assistance:

• Canada Recovery Benefit
  • Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit
  • Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit
  • Canada Emergency Response Benefit (now closed)
  • Canada Emergency Student Benefit (now closed)

Reactions: Mano1110786