+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor's assets in Canada. What if I live with parents?

ser5600

Jul 3, 2016
One of the questions from the country specific guide asks whether the sponsor owns any assets in Canada, and the checkbox options are: apartment, house, business, bank account.

I have a bank account so that's straight forward. As for whether to choose house or apartment, I'm not so sure. I live with my parents in their house, and although I don't own the house I do pay a fixed monthly rent. Would be it fine if I checked off "apartment" for this question? Paying rent to live in a house is a bit like having an apartment I guess. There's no room for explanation and I don't even know why they're asking this.

zumbagirl

Mar 15, 2016
ser5600 said:
One of the questions from the country specific guide asks whether the sponsor owns any assets in Canada, and the checkbox options are: apartment, house, business, bank account.

I have a bank account so that's straight forward. As for whether to choose house or apartment, I'm not so sure. I live with my parents in their house, and although I don't own the house I do pay a fixed monthly rent. Would be it fine if I checked off "apartment" for this question? Paying rent to live in a house is a bit like having an apartment I guess. There's no room for explanation and I don't even know why they're asking this.
if you live with your parents they own the house it is their asset not yours. Just claim your bank accounts, rrrsp, etc
good luck with your application
zumbaG

ser5600

Jul 3, 2016
I'm not claiming my parents' house as my asset. I pay a fixed rent to live there and I'm wondering whether that makes it ok for me to claim it as my apartment. There's no option for "live with parents", so I simply want them to understand that I have a place to live.

I even declared the rent payments on my most recent tax return.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
No. You do not own the apartment. In general, people rent apartments and do not own them. In this case, they would not say they own this asset in Canada. You are paying rent, like the typical apartment dweller, so do not say you own this asset.

In the checklist they really mean the typical condominium, which looks like an apartment but is owned by the person living there.

mia_79

Star Member
Apr 5, 2016
Warsaw - PL / Oshawa - CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
Doc's Request.
23-02-2016 (missed); request by phone on 21-06-2016
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
28-01-2016
Med's Done....
Prior to submission
Interview........
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2016
LANDED..........
Tickets bought for: 12-09-2016
There are other questions relating to accommodations and living arrangements.
You can write that you rent and you have a place to live when your spouse comes down in the separate questions.