+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring wife from cambodia

zeek

Apr 27, 2008
hi there

im sponsororing my wife from cambodia and like to know if anyone knows anything about timelines
i got back from cambodia januray 26, i sent all the fourms, IOM medical checks, police check, proof of work, how much i made in the last 2 years, photos, marriage licence and proof of plane ticket.
i sent the form out on feburay 8th and on march 6th i got a letter from case processing centre mississauga. this is what is says

we are pleased to advise that you have met the requirments for eliginilty as a sponsor. accordingly the undertaking and the application for permanent residence have been forwarded th the visa office in singapore for further processing.

i look on the e-cas web site and it says. We started processing my wifes application on March 20, 2008.

i have not heard a thing from anyone for a while. does anyone know if i should just wait or mail visa office or will that be a wast of time.

my layer that i hire has left the country for over a mounth now and he told me that visa office should call my wife withen a mounth so like around april 6th.

this is the kicker i never knew my lawyer left the country he never told me and now i hear he sold his house and he might not come back. im very stress out:(

if anyone one has any idas please say thanks

mikeandlana

Jun 25, 2006
It will take a lot longer than you like!
Your wife's file will be processed through the Singapore office as is my wife's file, she is Thai.
I received the letter that you mention on January 4th. I have still yet to receive anything further.
I contacted the Singapore office a few weeks ago and they said that they are waiting for an immigration officer to review the file to determine if an interview is required. So, you would be in queue at least 2 months behind me and some other sponsors that I've spoken with.
I've just booked a ticket to head over there in the middle of June for two months. It would be nice if she would be able to return with me at that time. But I'm not betting on it.
As well, if they do determine an interview is required then it will take much longer.
Take care and good luck.
Keep us posted if you hear anything.
Mike

Hey Mike,

Just bring the letter of approval for your sponsorship, and all the other required stuff for a tourist visa. It worked for me without problems. Having the sponsorship letter of approval, shows that you are serious about getting your wife over here as a PR.

I was going to go back to Thailand for a short vacation just to visit her but we decided that, We would try the TRV again so I Fedex'ed her a the required documents and had her take care of the visa process herself, and then in 3 days she had a interview and received the TRV. She was here for about 7 months. She return at the beginning of April because I got her a round-trip back in Oct so we figured it would be a good time to use it. I didn't want to change the plane ticket again, it can be costly.

and, how did you contact the Singpore office? I read that people are not to contact them unless your case has been processing beyond what the Processing times chart has.

Good to hear from someone with a similar case.

Good luck,

Graeme

mikeandlana

Jun 25, 2006
Hi Graeme,
That's great to hear that your wife was able to get the tourist visa to stay in Canada.
My wife was living here in Canada for a year but we decided to apply out of country because she didn't have all her paperwork in order. Additionally, we didn't want her to lose her one year return ticket.

I would have to go over regardless of whether she could come back to Canada as it's approaching two years since I saw her family.

As for contacting the Singapore, CIC told me to touch base with them if I ever had any questions. Every time I wire over money to Thailand I send a copy of that wire to the offices in Singapore. I also had sent a bank draft to them for the right of PR fee, which they returned with a note saying that I need to pay online. Finally, after itching to hear some news I dropped them an email that they responded to promptly. They said that they were just waiting for an officer to review it to determine whether or not an interview is required. I'll be sending them a copy of my flight itinerary this week along with a letter indicating my desire to be able to return to Canada with my wife after my holiday.

Its a long haul but worth the wait. We've done long stints apart previously due to or work but this will be the longest.

And you and I are not alone.

Nice to hear from you and keep up all posted if anything new comes up!
Take care
Mike

fingerscrossed

Oct 17, 2007
Hello to all.

Sorry to cut in on this discussion but I just have a few questions for Graeme.
Graeme I read in your last post that your wife came to Canada while waiting for her PR visa. After she got her TRV did she then get her PR in Canada? If so, is this an avenue many people take? It sounds promising. My wife and I have been waiting for a while now for her PR. Everything seems to be in order we are just playing the waiting game. We are under a teaching contract in Thailand until June 1st, so we are kind of in limbo on what route to take. We would like a bit more info on how things unfolded with you and your wife if possible. If you have time could you please let me know!
Thanks in advance.
FC

Fingerscrossed,

My wife hasn't received her PR yet. The only reason she went back is because she had a round-trip ticket and changing it was like $500 extra, for the change of flight $150 and you have to pay the difference between the two tickets.

We also figured/hoping the PR would be finished soon its been 7 months now.

I would recommend staying in Thailand though, if any additional information is required for CIC; its easy to get too.

Example:

Back in January, when she was in Canada, CIC sent us a letter requiring more info about her family; we had to get her Aunt to pretty much do all the work and send it to Singapore. It was quite nerve racking because her Aunt doesn't really know anything else execpt how to pick rice and look after kids. And she had never left Udon Thani province. She had to go to Bangkok, to get the required docs from the government get them all translated, and mail them to Singapore and of course it has to be done ASAP - I didn't sleep for a week, hoping that nothing was missed or messed up.

I think most cases require interviews when receiving the PR at the embassy or conslate. And then there more visa related stuff you have to receive only at a Canadian port of entry. I think that how it works or vise versa.

I think someone like PMM (immigration Guru) could shed more light on this.

Hope this helps,

Graeme

mikeandlana

Jun 25, 2006
Hi fingerscrossed,
Just a quick note. If you are planning on returning to Canada to live right away then I would suggest that you bring your wife with you and apply from within Canada. Its no fun being separated for long period of time. But, as Graeme has attested to, make certain that you have all of her paperwork in order. This includes a proper birth certificate translated through the Thai immigration office or other designated office. This is where we screwed up and it wasted time and money unnecessarily. You'll also need the house registration and accompanying translation.
The most important thing that I can say is do all your homework and work while you are in Thailand. Even pay the few baht that a lawyer will charge. Proper research will potentially save you time, money, and your wife having to return to Thailand to fix a problem. Most of all, proper research will save you worry and in Graeme's case, sleep.
Good luck!

zeek

Apr 27, 2008
just like to say all this informations is very helpful

mike i was just woundering when you email Singapore visa office how long did it take for them to respond to your email. i also want to hear some information from visa office in Singapore so i also email them today and told them i will be going to cambodai to see my wife in late june and would like to bring my wife back with me when i return to canada.

this is the link i use to email them if anyone was wounder http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/singapore.asp

just on a side note my aunts cousin sponser his wife from cambodia and that case only toke 6 mounths to complete no interview. from what i am told visa office will not call your sponser, they will just send mail and in that mail it will say send passport to visa office for stamp takes about 3 weeks.

if i hear anything new i will post that information. good luck to all

zeek