+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring wife (Both of us in South Korea) questions

boxedj

Mar 15, 2015
Hi all, thanks so much for your help.

I've read through pages of topics and just wanted to ask a few questions and for some advice.

I am currently living in Korea with my (South Korean) wife, and am planning to travel back to Canada in September to go back to school.
The process for outland visa application seems to be 12-14 months going out of the Manila office, (at the least) but we don't want to have to be apart for that long waiting for her visa to be processed.

So I'm wondering if it would be better for us to travel to Canada together and then apply for permanent resident status as soon as we get there from within Canada. (And then apply to extend her stay as a visitor until she becomes accepted as a permanent resident.

Or,

Should we apply as soon as possible for the outland application, and if so are we able to go to Canada together, her as a visitor? If we do this might it create any problems with her application?

If there are any other solutions I would be glad for the advice. Thank again for your help.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
boxedj said:
I am currently living in Korea with my (South Korean) wife, and am planning to travel back to Canada in September to go back to school.
The process for outland visa application seems to be 12-14 months going out of the Manila office, (at the least) but we don't want to have to be apart for that long waiting for her visa to be processed.

So I'm wondering if it would be better for us to travel to Canada together and then apply for permanent resident status as soon as we get there from within Canada. (And then apply to extend her stay as a visitor until she becomes accepted as a permanent resident.
You could do it that way but the inland process will take longer. Apply outland.

Should we apply as soon as possible for the outland application, and if so are we able to go to Canada together, her as a visitor? If we do this might it create any problems with her application?
This is probably your best option. Even though CIC's website may say that it's taking 12-14 months, that's just an average. It's probably going to be less than that. Some recent Korean applicants got approved in 6-7 months.

Once you've applied you can come to Canada with your wife entering as a visitor. Before her 6 month visitor's visa expires, you can apply to extend it if your PR application is still in process. Those types of extension applications are routinely granted to Koreans with Canadian spouses who are waiting for PR.

You may want to join the Korean thread here.http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsoring-my-korean-wife-for-permanent-residency-t137874.0.html

Quite a few of us in that thread have already completed the journey you're about to embark on. Good luck.

Bubbles87

Nov 12, 2014
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 07, 2015
AOR Received.
Mar 12, 2015
File Transfer...
Mar27
Med's Request
Dec 05
Interview........
DM: Dec 20, 2015
Passport Req..
Jan 08, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 25, 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 25, 2016
Even if you wife came back on a visit visa, and you apply for an extension, she would not be able to leave Canada on the extension of her visa. She will have to stay in Canada until the PR gets through (applying outland)

If you apply inland, she will still have to remain in Canada and not leave until the process is done.

Either ways, she can come and live with you while you both wait. I should say it doesn't matter how you apply, because her status will be pretty much the same. She will get a work permit though, if you apply inland, so that is always useful

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bubbles87 said:
Even if you wife came back on a visit visa, and you apply for an extension, she would not be able to leave Canada on the extension of her visa. She will have to stay in Canada until the PR gets through (applying outland)
Not true at all.
Any visa-exempt applicant can come and go from Canada as they please while their outland app is processing. Each time they leave Canada any existing status or extension apps in process disappear, and when they re-enter they will get a new visitor status. There is nothing at all that says they should remain in Canada during the process.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied sponsorship in S. Korea ( my husband is Canadian) and we left soon after sent application, which was Nov. 2013.
I am now visitor status in Canada, haven't gone back to S. korea since, and still waiting for my PR.
I renewed my visitors status last may and received one year.
I simply mailed my renewal application with letters from CIC (my husband sponsor approval letter and my file transferred to Manila etc) and my letter saying I want to wait my pr in canada and stay with my husband and daughter etc.
I also photocopied my return ticket to prove I do not have any problem to fly back .

If your wife come to Canada, she(only her ) needs to purchase roundtrip tickets to show at custom and use word "visit" not live.

hope it helps.

boxedj

Mar 15, 2015
Thank you guys all so much for your help. Much clearer than trying to find this information elsewhere.

Since we don't plan on leaving Canada for a few years, and it might be better for her to be able to start working sooner, it seems like inland might be the best option for us.

If we fly separately to Canada, and also if she possibly brings a little dog with her, is there a large or small chance of her being hassled by customs / not allowed to enter on a visitor visa on suspicion that she might stay?

Also, is it possible to apply outland and then once she is in canada as a visitor apply for a work permit for her? Wondering why it should be any different than using the inland option. Seems only inland applicants are able to work while waiting for their PR to be processed?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
boxedj said:
If we fly separately to Canada, and also if she possibly brings a little dog with her, is there a large or small chance of her being hassled by customs / not allowed to enter on a visitor visa on suspicion that she might stay?
She should have a return airplane ticket dated for less than 6 months later, and show any ties to Korea that would indicate she has reason to return.

Not sure how bringing a dog would look. However it's probably fine as long as she stresses she is VISITING Canada only and will abide by the immigration rules, and is not living/moving here.

Also, is it possible to apply outland and then once she is in canada as a visitor apply for a work permit for her? Wondering why it should be any different than using the inland option. Seems only inland applicants are able to work while waiting for their PR to be processed?
No, OWP is only for inland apps. No OWP is associated with an outland app.

New pilot program to give OWP to inland applicants quicker, is just to make up for the fact the inland process is incredibly slow overall (2+ years).

What I would do in your case, is apply for your wife's PR IMMEDIATELY while you are still living in Korea (I assume you're a Cdn citizen). Then while the outland app is in process, she can come to Canada as a visitor in September. CBSA is also much easier on visitors with outland applications already in progress. By the time you guys get to Canada, there may just be a few more months to go before she gets PR. And if approved while she's in Canada, they will mail all her landing documents directly to your Canadian address.

Djn1993

Feb 10, 2015
Japan
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
31-12-2014
Med's Done....
08-2014
Sorry if I shouldn't post here but I thought I might be considering the same thing as boxedj.
I'm sponsoring a Japanese spouse and we are currently both in Japan and we applied from October and our application is being processed in Manila. He's lived in Canada before but we moved to Japan to get married and be together.
Since we are in a visa exempt country, is there an okay chance for him to just enter Canada and get the visitor visa?
The reason I'm so worried is because there are a lot of terrible stories of people getting rejected on getting tourist visas even with lots of proof they would return to their own country. Visitor visa is different (I'm assuming) but I'm not sure I'd be able to produce more proof than just a return ticket. :S

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Djn1993 said:
Sorry if I shouldn't post here but I thought I might be considering the same thing as boxedj.
I'm sponsoring a Japanese spouse and we are currently both in Japan and we applied from October and our application is being processed in Manila. He's lived in Canada before but we moved to Japan to get married and be together.
Since we are in a visa exempt country, is there an okay chance for him to just enter Canada and get the visitor visa?
The reason I'm so worried is because there are a lot of terrible stories of people getting rejected on getting tourist visas even with lots of proof they would return to their own country. Visitor visa is different (I'm assuming) but I'm not sure I'd be able to produce more proof than just a return ticket. :S
Just bring a return airplane ticket and proof of the PR application (like sponsor approval letter), tell CBSA he is entering Canada to wait out the remainder of PR process in Canada, and he should be let in no problem with 6 months visitor status to start. Can stress he knows he's a VISITOR only so will abide by the rules and leave if his status runs out.

Bubbles87

Nov 12, 2014
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 07, 2015
AOR Received.
Mar 12, 2015
File Transfer...
Mar27
Med's Request
Dec 05
Interview........
DM: Dec 20, 2015
Passport Req..
Jan 08, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 25, 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 25, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Not true at all.
Any visa-exempt applicant can come and go from Canada as they please while their outland app is processing. Each time they leave Canada any existing status or extension apps in process disappear, and when they re-enter they will get a new visitor status. There is nothing at all that says they should remain in Canada during the process.
Do you not have to stay in Canada on an extended visitor visa? As its only single entry? I must be thinking non-visa rxtempt countries then! My bad

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bubbles87 said:
Do you not have to stay in Canada on an extended visitor visa? As its only single entry? I must be thinking non-visa rxtempt countries then! My bad
Yes you are probably thinking of non-visa-exempt countries that need a TRV to enter Canada, which may be single use only.

For visa-exempt people, they can usually come and go from Canada as often as they want as long as CBSA is satisfied they are visitors only.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
boxedj said:
We brought our dog when we moved here in 2013. I just told them the dog was mine. Make sure you have a certificate from the vet showing that the pooch has had it's rabies shots.

dimk

Aug 23, 2014
All senior members' comments are right.

Aug 30th 2014, I sent all documents to Missauga ON, it is outbound canada.

Sep 15th 2014, I(Korean wife) entered Canada with my husband(Canadian citizen), from Seoul to Vancouver, I didn't have PR but I have Korean Passport and round trip ticket, so my husband explained why we are coming, how much money we sent to his Canadian Bank account, which hotel we are going to stay for the first few weeks, which companies he is going to have an interview as soon as we arrive...

Oct 24th 2014, my husband got approved, so the process is from Ontario to Manila office.

Jan 23rd 2015, I extended my 6 months vistor visa online and get approved after 2 weeks.

May 4th 2015, Manila CIC says that my COPR(Confirmation of Permanent Residence to Canada) is going to be issued soon and ask for Appendix A. CIC also informs me that my landing is by Sep 1,2015.

So from the moment I sent the documents to I am going to landing, only 1 year or less.
From the moment Manila office got my documents to the time they decided to issue PR is only 6 months.