+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring the spouse (from India)

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Hi all,

I recently got married in india. I am a PR in Canada since 1.5 years and want to bring my wife here. We have got the marriage registered but have few doubts:
1. My wife doesn't have a last name.. (even her passport has only her first name) what should we fill in the family name field of the application, which is mandatory.
2. Is it mandatory for us to get our status in passport changed from Single to Married?
3. The application asks us to attach our social media conversations but most of our conversations have been in hinglish, do i need to get those translated into english? It seems to be such an embarrassing task. Not that we chatted anything indecent but certainly not worthy of an official translation. Plus its so much of data that i dont know how to summarize it is 20 pages (thats the limit mentioned).

Any thoughts please?
Thanks guys in advance.

Regards

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
1. As per IRCC:
If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”​
2. No.
3. You can translate it yourself. No need for official translation.
Good Luck!

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hi all,

I recently got married in india. I am a PR in Canada since 1.5 years and want to bring my wife here. We have got the marriage registered but have few doubts:
1. My wife doesn't have a last name.. (even her passport has only her first name) what should we fill in the family name field of the application, which is mandatory.
2. Is it mandatory for us to get our status in passport changed from Single to Married?
3. The application asks us to attach our social media conversations but most of our conversations have been in hinglish, do i need to get those translated into english? It seems to be such an embarrassing task. Not that we chatted anything indecent but certainly not worthy of an official translation. Plus its so much of data that i dont know how to summarize it is 20 pages (thats the limit mentioned).

Any thoughts please?
Thanks guys in advance.

Regards
For the third question, anything you submit if it is not in English or French, you have to translate them into English or French. And per the check list, you only need to submit max. 10 pages of your communications, don't send in all of them that you have, so choose them wisely to indicate your relationship is in a continuous matter and how it is evolved.

Also, since you are a PR, you can only file the spousal sponsorship application, when you are physically in Canada.

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Thank you for guys. I really appreciate it.

Noscaf2014, is it acceptable for me to translate it myself? The guidelines ask me to get it done by an interpreter and no relative or self should do it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for guys. I really appreciate it.

Noscaf2014, is it acceptable for me to translate it myself? The guidelines ask me to get it done by an interpreter and no relative or self should do it.
Only official documents, i.e. birth cert, PCCs, marriage cert., need to be formally translated. Informal proofs such as chats can be translated yourselves.

AKamz

Jan 12, 2018
Thank you for replying friend.
I am no way questioning your expertise but you know how tedious this whole process is. Is this written somewhere what you just said? Like on the website or guide somewhere?
Again, not questioning you just want to be double sure.
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for replying friend.
I am no way questioning your expertise but you know how tedious this whole process is. Is this written somewhere what you just said? Like on the website or guide somewhere?
Again, not questioning you just want to be double sure.
Thanks
As per IRCC, documents must be formally translated. Your chats/emails/texts/letters/facebook/etc. are not documents.

Have a search through the forum. There are numerous threads regarding this topic that confirm this.

Reactions: YVR123