+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring spouse

Ahmed_said

Jul 24, 2007
Hi,

I want to sponsor my fiance to Canada. I'm not sure how to go about things.
She lives in Saudi Arabia with her family and she goes to study in Egypt during the school year, so she has residency in both countries.
There is some regulations in Saudi for issuing a marriage certificate. You have to be a resident of Saudi. Or you have to be on a visiting visa sent to you from a family member residing in Saudi in order for them to issue you a marriage certificate. and this visitor visa could take more then 6 months for it to be approved.
So, travelling to Saudi is semi-impossible.
I'm in a new job, so I can't take time of work to travel.

I was wondering if there's a way around the marriage certificate.

Thanks for the help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Raven said:
Hello,

Yes you can sponsor her as a conjugal partner if you have proof that your relationship is ongoing for one year. You do not have to be married or even engaged to sponsor a partner under family class. If your intent is to get married then you can get married in Canada once she is here since travel to Saudi is not possible at this time, that shouldn't hold up the process of starting your sponsorship application.

Cheers!
\

Come on at least read the definition of Conjugal partner before telling everyone that they can sponsor. There is no impediment for the OP to travel to Egypt and marry his fiancee, except that he says that he can't take time off work.

PMM

Ahmed_said

Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

PMM, are you saying that the process in Egypt is much easier???

thaks again

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
PMM is saying that the conjugal partner category is for people who don't have the options of marriage or common-law sponsorship.

You have at least one of those options, since your spouse can travel to Egypt and you can be married there. There are also probably other countries you could travel to to marry or live as common-law partners.

Ahmed_said

Jul 24, 2007
Thanks PMM,

OK, suppose that I travel to Egypt and get married there, what about the police and medical check.
I’m not sure what’s required in the police check, do they require that she must be a resident of Egypt for the past 10years or 5yrs.

What I’m trying to find out is, if getting married in Egypt would cause a problem for the police report. Would a police report and a medical certificate from Saudi works with a marriage certificate from Egypt, would that be accepted by the Canadian Immigration.

Thanks for the help, again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ahmed_said said:
Thanks PMM,

OK, suppose that I travel to Egypt and get married there, what about the police and medical check.
I’m not sure what’s required in the police check, do they require that she must be a resident of Egypt for the past 10years or 5yrs.

What I’m trying to find out is, if getting married in Egypt would cause a problem for the police report. Would a police report and a medical certificate from Saudi works with a marriage certificate from Egypt, would that be accepted by the Canadian Immigration.

Thanks for the help, again.
She has to get a police report from every country that she has resided in for more than 6 months in the past 10 years. She can do the medical at any DMP in the world, but ensure that it is forward to the correct medical office. As long as the marriage is legal, CIC doesn't care where it was performed.

PMM

Ahmed_said

Jul 24, 2007
Thanks PMM, that was very help information. It would be nice to find such info easily on the immigration website.

Your help is much appreciated.