+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse with Tourist Visa, marry, bring her and then apply for PR

igniteBuddhi

Oct 2, 2018
First thing first, you cannot apply to sponsor him until you have returned to Canada. You are a PR (hopefully, you meet RO) and you can only sponsor while living in Canada. So you cannot submit your application until you come back to Canada.

Since he already has visitor visa, he will most likely allow through the border, his entry would be for "dual intend". Search discussion on that topic and read up.

In this case, you may consider applying inland (if you don't expect him the need to travel out of Canada while waiting for the approval).
Thanks. Will "Dual intend" make him eligible to travel together? Also can we apply for outland in this case once in Canada? which one is better in our case if he has to travel back to India in 6 months?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks. Will "Dual intend" make him eligible to travel together? Also can we apply for outland in this case once in Canada? which one is better in our case if he has to travel back to India in 6 months?
Dual intent will allow him to explain why he wants to enter Canada at the end, it's up to immigration. There is no restriction on how you travel.... with or without your partner...
Yes. you can apply outland after you arrived in Canada.

igniteBuddhi

Oct 2, 2018
Dual intent will allow him to explain why he wants to enter Canada at the end, it's up to immigration. There is no restriction on how you travel.... with or without your partner...
Yes. you can apply outland after you arrived in Canada.
So in short what I understood:
1)Marry in November.
2)Quit Job if not possible to continue.
3)Fly together on separate Visa(PR and TRV respectively). Will this create questions on border?
4)I was in Canada for 3 months since last December when I have received my PR so I have hope I met RO(which is 2 out of 5 years).
5)Answer officer questions together and show proofs of funds and settlement in Canada.
6)Spouse to have return ticket as well, which can be 6 moths from arrival
7)Apply for outland Visa.

KASK

Star Member
Aug 19, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore and Etobicoke
LANDED..........
31-12-2017
I am a PR in Canada. When I applied for my PR in 2017 my wife and daughter were listed as non-accompanying dependents. Later they joined me to Canada on TRV. Their visitor visa is valid for 3 years. However, upon entry in July 2018, they were entitled to a 6 months stay which will end in January 2018.

Now I am planning to submit their inland sponsorship application under the Canada class in early December 2018 and apply for an extension of stay in mid-December 2018 stating that I have applied for a sponsorship and other family reasons.

Is it the right thing to do?

Or will it make more sense to apply for an extension of stay first and then submit the sponsorship application?

Please advice.

georgeeaso90

May 21, 2018
I had my girlfriend apply for a visitors visa, and she got approved. Now I will be going to my home country to get married and planning on bringing her here using the visitors visa she obtained months earlier. So once she lands in Canada I am planning on applying for inland sponsorship. Is this an OK thing to do? Any response would be appreciated.
Hey Rakesh, I am in exact situation as you. what happened with your application.? Did you bring her in as a visitor? what happened at the immigration? did they turned her away or let her in? PLEASE ADVISE..THANKS..

Reactions: diogosouza

diogosouza

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Hey Rakesh, I am in exact situation as you. what happened with your application.? Did you bring her in as a visitor? what happened at the immigration? did they turned her away or let her in? PLEASE ADVISE..THANKS..
I'm also similar. How was it for you?

diogosouza

Star Member
May 23, 2017
I think that should be fine. My husband, a Canadian marry me in my country
.After a year, i applied TRV with his invitation letter. My TRV been granted multiple till the expiry of my passport. I had a good job in my country so i could convinced immigration tht i will return to my country after- but when i arrived in Canada (i resigned from the job) i extended my TRV after 6months than we applied PR and WOP together. I got WOP after 5months and now waiting for PR still. Good luck for you
so it's ok to stay in Canada while waiting for PR even after visitor visa 6 months has ended? What if the open work permit is not granted?

Jul 10, 2021
Hello everyone,

Background- I would like to share my condition and hope to get some valuable advice from the experts in the forum. I came to Canada in 2019 as a student. After graduating in May, I applied for PGWP and was approved. I am working full-time now.

Situation- My girlfriend is in India. We plan to get married in January 2022. My girlfriend and I are contemplating on options about how we can live together in Canada post our marriage. While one of the options is that we apply for spouse visa, the processing time is 1 year. I am not even sure whether she would be able to come see me in Canada once I apply for her spouse visa. That would be a lot for us, separating right after exchanging vows. I was hoping to find a faster way to get her to Canada with me. One alternative that I could think of is that we can apply for a tourist visa, she can travel to Canada and we register our marriage in Canada, while I am still on a work permit. Then, we can apply for a spouse visa within Canada.

Help requested- Is it a viable option to consider or would it make immigration scrutinize our spousal visa even more. If so, are there any practical alternatives that my girlfriend and I could utilize and be together right after our marriage? I would be grateful, if someone could help us put our lives together.

Thank you,
S

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Background- I would like to share my condition and hope to get some valuable advice from the experts in the forum. I came to Canada in 2019 as a student. After graduating in May, I applied for PGWP and was approved. I am working full-time now.

Situation- My girlfriend is in India. We plan to get married in January 2022. My girlfriend and I are contemplating on options about how we can live together in Canada post our marriage. While one of the options is that we apply for spouse visa, the processing time is 1 year. I am not even sure whether she would be able to come see me in Canada once I apply for her spouse visa. That would be a lot for us, separating right after exchanging vows. I was hoping to find a faster way to get her to Canada with me. One alternative that I could think of is that we can apply for a tourist visa, she can travel to Canada and we register our marriage in Canada, while I am still on a work permit. Then, we can apply for a spouse visa within Canada.

Help requested- Is it a viable option to consider or would it make immigration scrutinize our spousal visa even more. If so, are there any practical alternatives that my girlfriend and I could utilize and be together right after our marriage? I would be grateful, if someone could help us put our lives together.

Thank you,
S
You're posting to the wrong section of the forum. This section is for Canadians who are sponsoring their partners for PR. Suggest you post your question to the International Students section instead.