+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Spouse who has Visitor Visa

onestranger

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,

I am looking for some advice and answers to some questions for my situation.

My fiancee has multiple-entry visitor visa for Canada. She is currently here for a short visit (3 weeks). We are considering having our religious wedding ceremony back home in November. Based on this, I have the following questions:

1 - Can we (should we) get officially married (civil marriage) here while she on a visit for 3 weeks?
2 - If we do get married, should we apply for inland or outland sponsorship?
3 - If we apply for outland, can she still come back with me after November while the application in process? And how would this be different if applied for inland?

4 - If we don't get married now and wait for November for the ceremony back home, at that point if I want her to come back with me here, should we apply for inland or outland sponsorship?
5 - If we apply for inland at that point, can she stay in Canada until her application in process (~12 months) even though according to her visitor visa requirements, she can only stay for up to 6 months per visit.
6 - If she cannot stay on her multiple-entry visitor visa for longer than 6 months while the inland application is in process, do we need to apply for work permit or visa extension?

Thank you so much in advance for the fantastic members of this community.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have seen many sponsorships with these court marriages being denied since CiC knows that the religious ceremony needs to be completed before you are considered married. Is this an arranged marriage? Do you have a long history together with lots of pictures? Have you lived together?

onestranger

Apr 15, 2019
We have been dating and talking since March 2018. She has come visit me right now so we have a lot of pictures from now. Our chat history is quite long.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have been dating and talking since March 2018. She has come visit me right now so we have a lot of pictures from now. Our chat history is quite long.
You would be taking a risk of your application being denied if you get submit your application after a court marriage. Given that you have just met in person most family and friends would not consider you married until you do the religious ceremony. You can look up other similar scenarios.

onestranger

Apr 15, 2019
Thank you. That actually clears some confusion.

Based on that, it would mean the best option would be to apply inland after the religious ceremony at the end of the year right? I have a couple of questions regarding that.

With inland application if we apply for OWP, then can she stay in Canada while her application is in process? Or do we have to apply for Visa Extension?

Also, can she study on a OWP?

::Editted::

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. That actually clears some confusion.

Based on that, it would mean the best option would be to apply inland after the religious ceremony at the end of the year right? I have a couple of questions regarding that.

With inland application if we apply for OWP, then can she stay in Canada while her application is in process? Or do we have to apply for Visa Extension?

Also, can she study on a OWP?

::Editted::
Yes I would suggest you apply after the religious ceremony. When you apply for OWP with inland application you get implied status. You only need to extend visitor status if you haven't receive AOR before your visitor status expires. You must keep your valid status until you know your application won't be returned for missing item or error. No you can not study with an OWP unless it is a degree that takes less than 6 months.

onestranger

Apr 15, 2019
Just to confirm, once you receive the AOR and OWP, then she won't need to leave correct? This takes about 2 months from what I hear?