+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSORING SPOUSE WHILE ALREADY A SPONSOR

shiler

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
Hello friends my brother is wanting to sponsor his wife who is outside of Canada while already having an application to sponsor in process to sponsor my other brother as a refugee seeking alsuym.
I am wondering if this is possible to do so. if he can have 2 application as once. He is working and able to financially provide. but i just want to make sure that he can submit an application for his fiancé or does her have to wait till my brothers sponsorship completely finished.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

shiler

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
There's no such thing as sponsoring a fiancé in Canada so would have to marry first.
okay say his wife, can he sponsor his wife while having an application to sponsor my bother as well, having 2 different applications at once

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
okay say his wife, can he sponsor his wife while having an application to sponsor my bother as well, having 2 different applications at once
Your brother is sponsoring your other brother NOT via family sponsorship (I believe) . It's some program under refugee (may be groups of five?).

So for his wife, once they are married, he can sponsor her. He will need to disclose his particpation of the refugee program (likey undertaking if it's approved or a letter of explanation of the situration if none of the forms allows this type of information) And when you said " my brothers sponsorship completely finished", I assume you mean the application is completed, approved and the undertaking years are over.

He needs to show that he is financially able to support him and his wife.

Again, since the groups of five is not limited to family/relatives, it's not part of the family sponsorship route. It's Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) program. And the general undertaking time is 12 months. (just found on the guide.. again I am not familar with Refugee porgrams)

And I am not sure if getting married will affect the financial proof (family size changes as he gets married) for the groups of five sponsorship.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That’s not true… they could have lived together before in which case they can apply as common-law couple.
A common-law couple is a common-law couple - not fiancés. The key is the word 'law' - it is a recognized status.

So no, it's not a "fiancé visa." The couple can call themselves whatever they like, of course - that's their business; but if they settle on the word 'fuchsia', it doesn't make it a 'fuchsia visa.'

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Which piece of information?
Multiple but if you’ve already submitted a private sponsorship application you have been in Canada for multiple years. Based on previous posts it looks like they are from Iran which is not known for liberal values when it comes to living together before marriage.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They are not mutually exclusive. It’s actually more likely in the 21st century that people live together before getting engaged.
I did not claim that they are mutually exclusive - the exclusivity works the other way. My point was that 'engaged' has no legal status that is relevant to family/spousal sponsorship. It's also irrelevant if they're left-handed.

If a couple is common law, that is the basis for one to sponsor the other. Period. A couple that are fiancéd and not common law cannot sponsor one another. A couple that are common law and not fiancéd can.

Sponsorship (via spousal) is exclusive to being married or common law.

Literally no one wrote “fiancé visa” except you. What are you even talking about?
There is another country nearby to Canada that does, in some circumstances, provide specifically for a visa for a couple to get married - it is colloquially referred to as a fiancé visa. Hence there is a not uncommon belief that Canada must have one too.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is the first sentence, “my brother is wanting to sponsor his wife,” relevant?
Both are relevant, since that makes clear it's a mistake; those are mutually exclusive terms - it's either his wife or his fiancée, not both.

And I quite correctly answered if fiancée - no, he cannot sponsor; if wife, yes.

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
those are mutually exclusive terms - it's either his wife or his fiancée, not both.
I don’t think so: in common parlance, people who have been living together commonly refer to their partner as husband/wife (in fact some legal documents even write it “common-law husband” or “common-law wife”).

At any rate, I feel we are redirecting this thread…