+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse from China.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me out here.

I am planning to sponsor my wife from China. I am a Canadian citizen and qualified to be the sponsor.

Here are a few facts-

-I'm male 40 y.o
-fiance is female 33 y.o
-Realtionship (dating) started in September 2019
-we both met on vacation in the Philippines in September 2019
-fiance came back to Philippines two weeks after she returned on vacation to meet me again for 2 weeks in October 2019
- In November 2019 I got a travel visa for china and I met her again and stayed with her for a month
- in January 2020 I went back to China and visited her for month

In August 2020 we are planning to get married in a CIVIL ceremony in china
-my parents and family and friends WONT attend wedding because if Virus.
- total time in relationship before marriage is 11 months

Here's the catch-

-We are expecting our 1st child at the end of August 2020.
-baby will be delivered in China
-no engagement just straight to the wedding because of virus and since the baby is coming soon.

Additional info-
- my phone was stolen in Dec 2019 in Philippines and lost hundreds of photos and weChat communication history
-fiance deleted alot of our photos
-I have proof of airline tickets to china to meet fiance
I have proof of getting Chinese travel visa
-fiance has proof of airline tickets to philippines to meet me

With the info mentioned above, what problems do you guys see with my spousal application?

Any advice and feedback is most welcome.

Thanks everyone. This is stressful time for us.

Justin

Report ••

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to show that you will be moving to Canada to get approved. You have quite a lot of time together in person. Would make sure you continue collecting evidence and try to find stuff that show your relationship started in September.

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
Do you have enough photo of both of travelling dating back to when you first met? That might help.

If the virus issue is sorted, will friends and family attend?

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
You need to show that you will be moving to Canada to get approved. You have quite a lot of time together in person. Would make sure you continue collecting evidence and try to find stuff that show your relationship started in September.
Hi canuck78...

I am already in Canada now, a citizen and live here.
Would my fiancé's airplane tickets help prove that we met in September? I have hotel bookings that show my name from September that show we did a trip.

Thanks for the advice and reaching out. I appreciate it.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
Do you have enough photo of both of travelling dating back to when you first met? That might help.

If the virus issue is sorted, will friends and family attend?
Hi Andrew,

We have some photos showing us together. As mentioned earlier my phone was lost with hundreds of photos lost. But I do have visa showing me going to China 2 times along with a 12 day extension to stay in China as well as my flight tickets. My fiance does have tickets showing tickets going to philippines the 2nd time to meet me again. Also I have Chinese government proof that I stayed at her condo in China since I had to register as a temporary resident in her district. All foreigners must register with local police if they do not stay in a hotel in China.

Even if the virus is sorted, I doubt my family and friends will go just because of the uncertainty in China. As you know... what really is happening there now is not the true story. Its pretty tense there.

Thanks Andrew for your message.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78...

I am already in Canada now, a citizen and live here.
Would my fiancé's airplane tickets help prove that we met in September? I have hotel bookings that show my name from September that show we did a trip.

Thanks for the advice and reaching out. I appreciate it.
Sorry you had spent so much time in the Philippines and in China thaat it didn’t sound like you were living and working in Canada. Airplane tickets will be helpful but friends can also visit each other. Things like pictures, proof that you were staying together in one room, chats would be good to add to the flight records. Pictures if you attended things like doctors appointments with the OB or various scans, pictures with you and her relatives, etc. Proof of relationship versus friendship or immigration fraud. Think like a visa officer who is trying to establish if it is a genuine relationship and marriage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Andrew,

We have some photos showing us together. As mentioned earlier my phone was lost with hundreds of photos lost. But I do have visa showing me going to China 2 times along with a 12 day extension to stay in China as well as my flight tickets. My fiance does have tickets showing tickets going to philippines the 2nd time to meet me again. Also I have Chinese government proof that I stayed at her condo in China since I had to register as a temporary resident in her district. All foreigners must register with local police if they do not stay in a hotel in China.

Even if the virus is sorted, I doubt my family and friends will go just because of the uncertainty in China. As you know... what really is happening there now is not the true story. Its pretty tense there.

Thanks Andrew for your message.
Perhaps friends or family took pictures of you. She must also have pictures of the both of you. Registration with the police is a good piece of evidence that you were staying together.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
With the child being in born, I will apply for proof if citizenship in canad when I return back to Canada after baby is born.

Do I add the child as a my spouses dependant on the application? It said something in the guide that children with proof of Canadian citizenship are not processed for visa. Little confused here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With the child being in born, I will apply for proof if citizenship in canad when I return back to Canada after baby is born.

Do I add the child as a my spouses dependant on the application? It said something in the guide that children with proof of Canadian citizenship are not processed for visa. Little confused here.
No the child can’t be added as a dependent because he/she is Canadian (or entitled to be Canadian). You will need things like picture of the baby for the Canadian passport. It is a pretty long process but you can apply for a citizenship certificate if you need to return to Canada earlier. You’ll have to doublecheck whether it is called citizenship certificate. There is more detailed information on the forum,

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
No the child can’t be added as a dependent because he/she is Canadian (or entitled to be Canadian). You will need things like picture of the baby for the Canadian passport. It is a pretty long process but you can apply for a citizenship certificate if you need to return to Canada earlier. You’ll have to doublecheck whether it is called citizenship certificate. There is more detailed information on the forum,
So. I guess I do not add the child as a dependant on the form and leave it blank?

Me as the sponsor, do I add the child as the dependant? On my end and just list the baby's address in China?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So. I guess I do not add the child as a dependant on the form and leave it blank?

Me as the sponsor, do I add the child as the dependant? On my end and just list the baby's address in China?
No the child is not a dependent in terms of sponsorship but when describing family composition the child is a dependent. Since the baby hasn’t been born yet you can’t add them to the sponsorship application at all at the moment.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me out here.

I am planning to sponsor my wife from China. I am a Canadian citizen and qualified to be the sponsor.

Here are a few facts-

-I'm male 40 y.o
-fiance is female 33 y.o
-Realtionship (dating) started in September 2019
-we both met on vacation in the Philippines in September 2019
-fiance came back to Philippines two weeks after she returned on vacation to meet me again for 2 weeks in October 2019
- In November 2019 I got a travel visa for china and I met her again and stayed with her for a month
- in January 2020 I went back to China and visited her for month

In August 2020 we are planning to get married in a CIVIL ceremony in china
-my parents and family and friends WONT attend wedding because if Virus.
- total time in relationship before marriage is 11 months

Here's the catch-

-We are expecting our 1st child at the end of August 2020.
-baby will be delivered in China
-no engagement just straight to the wedding because of virus and since the baby is coming soon.

Additional info-
- my phone was stolen in Dec 2019 in Philippines and lost hundreds of photos and weChat communication history
-fiance deleted alot of our photos
-I have proof of airline tickets to china to meet fiance
I have proof of getting Chinese travel visa
-fiance has proof of airline tickets to philippines to meet me

With the info mentioned above, what problems do you guys see with my spousal application?

Any advice and feedback is most welcome.

Thanks everyone. This is stressful time for us.

Justin

Report ••

It's a pretty fast relationship from meeting while on vacation, but things happen.
You will need lots of good proofs like some you have mentioned. Did your fiance pay for anything using Alipay ?
Hope you plan for some sort of wedding gathering in her home town with family/friends, food, drinks, drums beating, and photos. Otherwise
you'll get hauled in for an interview. Don't have any brave friends willing to attend ? Offer to help pay and keep your emails. I am sure the hotels will give you some great deals and the flights are cost effective now. The virus issues may all be gone by August, especially after the weather warms up.
Just in time for baby and a hike on the Great Wall !

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
It's a pretty fast relationship from meeting while on vacation, but things happen.
You will need lots of good proofs like some you have mentioned. Did your fiance pay for anything using Alipay ?
Hope you plan for some sort of wedding gathering in her home town with family/friends, food, drinks, drums beating, and photos. Otherwise
you'll get hauled in for an interview. Don't have any brave friends willing to attend ? Offer to help pay and keep your emails. I am sure the hotels will give you some great deals and the flights are cost effective now. The virus issues may all be gone by August, especially after the weather warms up.
Just in time for baby and a hike on the Great Wall !
Hi, thanks for the advice. Fiance paid for things via wechat but not sure if it really mentions what was paid for, just the QRCode and numbers.

About wedding in China with drums and music etc, because for her family and other Chinese families getting pregnant is a big nono before the Wedding that's why we opted to just have the civil one but of course her immediate family would be attending.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, thanks for the advice. Fiance paid for things via wechat but not sure if it really mentions what was paid for, just the QRCode and numbers.

About wedding in China with drums and music etc, because for her family and other Chinese families getting pregnant is a big nono before the Wedding that's why we opted to just have the civil one but of course her immediate family would be attending.
culturally very understandable. I would mention that in your application. Imagine her parents were just happy she is getting married even if you are a foreigner and she is pregnant. Hit 30 and still single your parents think you’re a lot cause when it comes to marriage. :rolleyes:

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
culturally very understandable. I would mention that in your application. Imagine her parents were just happy she is getting married even if you are a foreigner and she is pregnant. Hit 30 and still single your parents think you’re a lot cause when it comes to marriage. :rolleyes:
Yea great, I will definitely add that to my application. To keep face, family wants a civil one instead now in august since tummy will be big. A more formal celebration was supposed to happen in March or early April but of course of the virus NO one, even in China is going to attend.
Yea at 33 female and single is like a lost cause for parents. Should I mention this too on the application? Also no dowry will be given to her family because of the difference in cultures.

Are the immigration officers in tune with Chinese culture?