+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Spouse after moving on PR

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Hi all,

I will be moving to Canada as a permanent resident next month.

I would like to know what my options are to bring my wife over. From what I understand, spouses of PR holders won't be issued a visit visa. If I were to bring her as a Permanent Resident, what would the timelines be, and how long would I have to wait before I can start application for the same? Are there any other options available to bring her to Canada within 3-6 months?

Thanks in Advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I will be moving to Canada as a permanent resident next month.

I would like to know what my options are to bring my wife over. From what I understand, spouses of PR holders won't be issued a visit visa. If I were to bring her as a Permanent Resident, what would the timelines be, and how long would I have to wait before I can start application for the same? Are there any other options available to bring her to Canada within 3-6 months?

Thanks in Advance!
So you‘ve already landed? When? Are you compliant with your RO? Is she from a visa free country?

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So you‘ve already landed? When? Are you compliant with your RO? Is she from a visa free country?
OP did soft landing in 2019.

So my question to OP is did he get married after he landed as PR? If not, did he include his spouse in his PR application as non-accompanying.

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
OP did soft landing in 2019.

So my question to OP is did he get married after he landed as PR? If not, did he include his spouse in his PR application as non-accompanying.
Hi,
Yes I did my soft landing in 2019 as you said and just got married earlier this year, so she was never part of my PR application

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Yes I did my soft landing in Nov 2019, and was planning to permanently relocate by the end of 2020 but then had to postpone it due to the pandemic. I am still compliant with the RO, and no, she is not from a visa-free country

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,
Yes I did my soft landing in 2019 as you said and just got married earlier this year, so she was never part of my PR application
Will you meet your RO when you move to Canada next month?

She can apply for TRV (visitor visa) but she needs ot show strong tie to her home country. And some say it's 50/50 chance.
And you can apply to sponsor her after you moved to Canada next month.

Not sure the current timeline of sponsorship applications. Unless she doesn't require visitor visa to enter Canada, I don't see any "fast way" for her to come.
Give the visitor visa a try.

Reactions: jj_1990

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I did my soft landing in Nov 2019, and was planning to permanently relocate by 2020 but then had to postpone it due to the pandemic. I am still compliant with the RO, and no, she is not from a visa-free country
She can try and apply for a TRV. whether she gets approved or not will determine what her options are.

Reactions: jj_1990

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Will you meet your RO when you move to Canada next month?

She can apply for TRV (visitor visa) but she needs ot show strong tie to her home country. And some say it's 50/50 chance.
And you can apply to sponsor her after you moved to Canada next month.

Not sure the current timeline of sponsorship applications. Unless she doesn't require visitor visa to enter Canada, I don't see any "fast way" for her to come.
Give the visitor visa a try.
Yes I will meet my RO, would still have a buffer of about 5 months. Seems like TRV is the only option then, will give it a shot. Thank you so much!