+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Spouse after moving on PR

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Hi all,

I will be moving to Canada as a permanent resident next month.

I would like to know what my options are to bring my wife over. From what I understand, spouses of PR holders won't be issued a visit visa. If I were to bring her as a Permanent Resident, what would the timelines be, and how long would I have to wait before I can start application for the same? Are there any other options available to bring her to Canada within 3-6 months?

Thanks in Advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I would like to know what my options are to bring my wife over. From what I understand, spouses of PR holders won't be issued a visit visa. If I were to bring her as a Permanent Resident, what would the timelines be, and how long would I have to wait before I can start application for the same? Are there any other options available to bring her to Canada within 3-6 months?

Thanks in Advance!
Spousal sponsorship processing times are around 23 months right now. TRV is one option you can try to bring your spouse to Canada sooner. Some people are approved. The applicant should be focused on showing your spouse's ties to their home country. Another option is a study permit. The studies your spouse plans to take in Canada must make sense in light of their previous education and work experience. Like the TRV, approval is not guaranteed. Work permit is possible if your spouse can secure a job offer and approved LMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

Thanks in Advance!
Also, you can apply to sponsor your spouse as soon as you have moved back to Canada.

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Spousal sponsorship processing times are around 23 months right now. TRV is one option you can try to bring your spouse to Canada sooner. Some people are approved. The applicant should be focused on showing your spouse's ties to their home country. Another option is a study permit. The studies your spouse plans to take in Canada must make sense in light of their previous education and work experience. Like the TRV, approval is not guaranteed. Work permit is possible if your spouse can secure a job offer and approved LMIA.
Thank you so much for the response!

Just a question on the TRV, should the TRV application be initiated from my end or by my spouse directly? Does that make any difference?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for the response!

Just a question on the TRV, should the TRV application be initiated from my end or by my spouse directly? Does that make any difference?
Your spouse is the one who needs to apply. As said above, what's most important is to show strong ties to the home country, evidence of sufficient funds to pay for the travel, and it helps to have previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US/UK.

Reactions: jj_1990

jj_1990

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Your spouse is the one who needs to apply. As said above, what's most important is to show strong ties to the home country, evidence of sufficient funds to pay for the travel, and it helps to have previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US/UK.
Got it, thanks again!