+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring someone who overstayed in Canada

Feb 6, 2019
Hi, everyone. I've been living with my boyfriend for 1 year already. I want to start the process for sponsorship but I have a few questions. He overstayed in Canada and now his status is not regular. He overstayed for more than 1 year. The process for sponsor in this case, is different? Is there anything that I should be concerned about? Thank you

Last edited:

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, everyone. I've been living with my boyfriend for 1 year already. I want to start the process for sponsorship but I have a few questions. He overstayed in Canada and now his status is not regular. He overstayed for more than 1 year. The process for sponsor in this case, is different? Is there anything that I should be concerned about? Thank you
1 year is bit longer to apply for restoration of status. He may have to leave to his home country while application is in process.

Diana1993

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Look into special policy of sponsoring someone out of status. There is such an option.

frange

May 25, 2018
Yes you can sponsor him even he is out of status or overstayed in Canada. You can do it by yourself if you have experience in this process since many people do that with no issue.

Since immigration is a case by case situation, I would highly recommend you to require legal services; just to avoid bad surprises in the process.

Reactions: jrenatodesouza

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can apply if out of status but you don’t qualify for an OWP until you have received OWP which is at the end of the process. No need for a lawyer.