+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring someone when you don't live in the country.

Maplekiwiclan

May 12, 2016
Hi there,

First of all I am writing this on my phone as I don't have a laptop so I apologize if it looks a little odd.

I am a Canadian Citizen currently living in New Zealand with my New Zealander husband and my daughter born just this September (citizenship application in process). I have concerns about my ability to sponsor my husband as I am not living in Canada presently and I am also not working as I am at home with our 7 month old daughter. I know a sponsor needs to prove they can support their spouse and I have no personal income. Does anyone know how this will affect our application?

This is also out second attempt at getting my husband's residency. We had to leave Canada mid application when I became pregnant and my husband couldn't work to support us. We queried with our MP to contact immigration on our behalf as I had written multiple letters about our change in situation and we had recieved no response. Our MP told us my husband would be denied the early work permit so we made the decision to go to New Zealand where he could work. Well 3 months after we arrived here they sent him the damn permit but now our application is void and we have to start again from NZ. At least we know what to expect this time.

Any way sorry for the novel. If anyone can point me in the direction of some help or some advice that would be great. We need to reapply ASAP.

Cheers

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good news. Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor him while living abroad. Even more good news, is that applicants from NZ are being approved very fast, so you shouldn't have to wait long.

All CIC cares about, is how he will be looked after, once he becomes a PR. As long as you are not on social assistance (which you obviously are not), you just need to show them your plan. This can include his ability to work, help from family/friends, etc., initially. You will also need to convince CIC that once approved, you/he will move to Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-applications-through-sydney-australia-office-t46958.2250.html

This thread will keep you informed on the real-life processing times.

Good luck!

kiwi01

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/11/2015
Med's Done....
30/09/2015
Maplekiwiclan said:
Beautiful, thanks!!

I can give you an up to date timeline if your application is sent to Ottawa as a NZer who was sponsored, about 5 months.