+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Parents in 2015

shinningstar

Star Member
Feb 27, 2009
Nkunjur said:
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know my parents have received their immigration visa (LVO: NDVO)on their passport and have until July 2017 to claim their PR. While I am relieved I am now curious as to what the next steps are re: SIN#, Health card...etc. Also how does taxation work? Wondering if we should start a separate forum for those whose parents are now relocating to Canada.... what are things we need to do/know to make sure our parents have a smooth transition to Canada.
Good idea.

I would like to know if they can apply for child benefits for the dependent (less than 18 years of age) ?

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nkunjur said:
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know my parents have received their immigration visa (LVO: NDVO)on their passport and have until July 2017 to claim their PR. While I am relieved I am now curious as to what the next steps are re: SIN#, Health card...etc. Also how does taxation work? Wondering if we should start a separate forum for those whose parents are now relocating to Canada.... what are things we need to do/know to make sure our parents have a smooth transition to Canada.
Good idea to have a separate topic for landed parents. Please let us know the name when it's started so we can follow it.

tamilnadu

Oct 2, 2012
I am hoping that folks who have already submitted PCCs and/or payed RPRF on this forum might be able to provide insight on the following two questions

1) Have you noticed any status update on ECAS after submitting your PCC or RPRF saying that they received the document (or fee)? if yes, how much time does it usually takes. FYI our file is with Ottawa.

2) how much time does it take for MyCiC 'review of submitted documents' status to be updated from "provided" to "received"?

"Provided" means that you have successfully uploaded the document(s).

"Received" means that we have reviewed the document(s) and confirmed that you have provided the correct one(s).

Thank you!!!

Star Member
Dec 14, 2014
Rossei said:
You can apply for Ontario Photo ID card which works as an alternative of driving license. It costs $35. This will work as a proof of address when you apply for OHIP. Furthermore, she will have 2 Canadian photo ID's (PR card + Ontario ID) to use where OHIP is not recognized as a valid ID.
Actually we did thought about applying Ontario Photo ID.
The first time I looked at the document list, I must have misinterpreted something.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/acceptable-identity-documents
I thought, oh, my mom doesn't have 2 document from List 2, so I skipped this thought.

But just now I looked at it again since you mentioned it. it looks like it means, if my mom has any document listed on List 1, she can apply. List 2 is only for people who don't have any document from List 1. :-[

I don't know...I hope I understand it correctly...

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
741953 said:
Actually we did thought about applying Ontario Photo ID.
The first time I looked at the document list, I must have misinterpreted something.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/acceptable-identity-documents
I thought, oh, my mom doesn't have 2 document from List 2, so I skipped this thought.

But just now I looked at it again since you mentioned it. it looks like it means, if my mom has any document listed on List 1, she can apply. List 2 is only for people who don't have any document from List 1. :-[

I don't know...I hope I understand it correctly...
I verified the info with the agent at Service Ontario office. The same office is responsible for both OHIP and Ontario Photo ID. The photo ID was supposed to take only a month to process and it's over 2.5 months now that my mom is still waiting to receive received both PR Card nor the Photo ID. My plan was to apply for her OHIP now with the above 2 cards and cancel Super Visa insurance.

sandeep1986

Apr 7, 2011
Hi ,

Please find below the timeline for my mother's sponsorship . Because of some reason , it is taking way to long . The status in CIC website shows - Application Received for both sponsorship and PR application.

I have seen other applicants who got back the responses long back ago . I am not sure why my application is not moving . I would appreciate if someone can suggest or give inputs in my case.

Application received by CPC-M: Jan 2, 2015
Sponsorship Approval: March 21, 2016
Request of Doc(Death Cert of Spouse) - Nov 25 2016
Submition of Doc(Death Cert of Spouse) - Nov 28 2016
Confirmation that the docs received - Dec 06 2016

Ibaadat

Jan 28, 2013
Toronto
sandeep1986 said:
Hi ,

Please find below the timeline for my mother's sponsorship . Because of some reason , it is taking way to long . The status in CIC website shows - Application Received for both sponsorship and PR application.
If you haven't heard of sponsor approval yet, you can request GCMS notes which takes 30 days to request to see what is happening with your file. It just helps to understand where your file is stuck. MP office has a special line where they can call on your behalf and request the status as well. However, my personal experience is that others don't take this as seriously and sometimes also misinform you, so you have to be very specific and diligent in your request. Wishing you best luck.

pwale

Dec 24, 2011
dbss said:
Thank you for your response. We have not yet got the request for PCC etc. (trying to be proactive). Only request from NDVO was for medicals back in July. I am going to send the PCC anyways and was thinking of adding anything more that they need so that the file gets complete like any updated forms etc.

As for RPRF, I can login to ECAS with the RPRF receipt number so I think that part is covered (I hope). Thanks for the tip.
I am in the same boat as you. NDVO only asked for Meds, no PCC in July. Ottawa almost everyone got PCC and Med request together, and Ottawa has been simpler to deal with... they ask for email reply to their email with scan of PCC. they even reply to emails acknowledging document received.
NDVO doesnt even communicate over email, only physical mail. they say you can communicate thru webform and the link they attach in their email was broken.
I am wondering should i send the PCC and RPRF receipt pro actively, not sure though

Star Member
Dec 14, 2014
Rossei said:
I verified the info with the agent at Service Ontario office. The same office is responsible for both OHIP and Ontario Photo ID. The photo ID was supposed to take only a month to process and it's over 2.5 months now that my mom is still waiting to receive received both PR Card nor the Photo ID. My plan was to apply for her OHIP now with the above 2 cards and cancel Super Visa insurance.
Woah, 2.5 months? Again, how they processing these cases is so not in order. My friend's parents just got theirs in less than 6 weeks, and your mom's take 2.5 months...
There's nothing we can do but wait. Hope your mom's document arrive soon.
When will her insurance be expired? My mom's policy will be expiring in May. I hope our cards will arrive in a reasonable time frame.

Thank you so much again for the info regarding Ontario Photo ID. We're gonna apply it next week.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
741953 said:
Woah, 2.5 months? Again, how they processing these cases is so not in order. My friend's parents just got theirs in less than 6 weeks, and your mom's take 2.5 months...
There's nothing we can do but wait. Hope your mom's document arrive soon.
When will her insurance be expired? My mom's policy will be expiring in May. I hope our cards will arrive in a reasonable time frame.

Thank you so much again for the info regarding Ontario Photo ID. We're gonna apply it next week.
I was wrong. I found both mails from a pile that I missed. Both the cards arrived sometime in December. I actually called CIC Call Centre yesterday and the lady told me that they mailed PRC on Nov 24. If I don't receive it by 6 weeks from this date, then I can re-apply (6 weeks = 3 weeks for CP to deliver + 3 weeks for CP to return back to CIC).

I was hoping to cancel my SV insurance and get some refund, it has an expiry of July 24. I never applied for refund although I was eligible on few occasions. I didn't want to miss this time.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
pwale said:
I am in the same boat as you. NDVO only asked for Meds, no PCC in July. Ottawa almost everyone got PCC and Med request together, and Ottawa has been simpler to deal with... they ask for email reply to their email with scan of PCC. they even reply to emails acknowledging document received.
NDVO doesnt even communicate over email, only physical mail. they say you can communicate thru webform and the link they attach in their email was broken.
I am wondering should i send the PCC and RPRF receipt pro actively, not sure though
I know there has been zero communication. My goal is to send them everything they need without them asking and avoiding the delays and get PPR straight (hopefully) --> Get PR for parents over with --> Praise the lord.

Star Member
Dec 14, 2014
Rossei said:
I was wrong. I found both mails from a pile that I missed. Both the cards arrived sometime in December. I actually called CIC Call Centre yesterday and the lady told me that they mailed PRC on Nov 24. If I don't receive it by 6 weeks from this date, then I can re-apply (6 weeks = 3 weeks for CP to deliver + 3 weeks for CP to return back to CIC).

I was hoping to cancel my SV insurance and get some refund, it has an expiry of July 24. I never applied for refund although I was eligible on few occasions. I didn't want to miss this time.
That's great to hear!
To cancel the policy now you should be able to get half of the premium back. Go for it! ;)

jeffporfirio1

Dec 21, 2016
Sask
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what is the consensus though of 2015 PGP applicants, of the fact that some 2016 PGP applicants have already 'landed'?

Ibaadat

Jan 28, 2013
Toronto
jeffporfirio1 said:
So what is the consensus though of 2015 PGP applicants, of the fact that some 2016 PGP applicants have already 'landed'?
wait is so stressful. I reached out to many people including officials in Ottawa. However, response is to wait as it is within timeline. They publish misleading timeline on website (processing cases from Jan 2014) which gives everyone excuse to say they can do nothing. I was also told that eligibility of sponsored individuals is not even started yet and happens at the time of background (same is reflected in GCMS) and this is more worrying. Hands down. Sadly, waiting is all I can do.