canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
cgel said:
1. So for Background declaration form only my mom will fill it out?? But in the checklist it says "The principal applicant and all the family members who are 18 or older sign their own copy of this form". So can you guys help in in determining that if my dad and my brothers need to fill out this form if i am not sponsoring them?

2. Same question for the additional family information form? Only my mom needs to fill it?

3. Does my mom need to include her marriage certificate even my dad wont be accompanying her?
1. Family members refers to the principal applicant's spouse and dependent children. Your brothers are not included but your father MUST be included as a non-accompanying dependent, fill out the necessary forms, get PCCs and have a medical done.

2. Your father needs to as well.

3. Yes.

screech339 said:
Not sure if you can even sponsor your mother only without your father as part of the PR sponsorship. This would allow your mother to bypass the medical exemption clause if they allowed you to do this. Your mother would be allowed to sponsor your father with excessive medical exemptions.

I believe you have no choice but to sponsor both your mother and father same time. The only way you could only sponsor your mother without your father is if they are legally divorced.

In conclusion, you cannot sponsor your mother for PR without your father. You must sponsor both your mother and father for PR if you want your mother to have PR.
This is wrong. A person can most definitely sponsor only one parent. The other parent is included as a non-accompanying dependent and must still submit the required forms and PCCs and pass the medical. If the non-accompanying dependent doesn't pass the medical, then the entire application is refused.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
1. Family members refers to the principal applicant's spouse and dependent children. Your brothers are not included but your father MUST be included as a non-accompanying dependent, fill out the necessary forms, get PCCs and have a medical done.

2. Your father needs to as well.

3. Yes.

This is wrong. A person can most definitely sponsor only one parent. The other parent is included as a non-accompanying dependent and must still submit the required forms and PCCs and pass the medical. If the non-accompanying dependent doesn't pass the medical, then the entire application is refused.
You are correct that the father must be part of the PR application. However wouldn't this provide a loophole whereby the mother can then sponsor the father for spousal PR thus reliving the original parent sponsor the 20 year financial obligation of the father since the mother is only responsible for the husband for 3 years.

I can see loopholes being used here. The sponsor would only have to maintain LICO requirement of family of 3 instead of 4? (sponsor, spouse, mother) instead of (sponsor, spouse, mother, father). Plus no income requirement for mother to sponsor her husband. But there is income requirement to sponsor the father.

Because of these loopholes, I think the mother and father both have to apply for PR. Not one PR without the other.

Do you honestly think CIC is going to allow the sponsor to sponsor only one parent and not the other for PR? I can understand the non-accompanying applying to children but to spouses?

Screech339

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
screech339 said:
You are correct that the father must be part of the PR application. However wouldn't this provide a loophole whereby the mother can then sponsor the father for spousal PR thus reliving the original parent sponsor the 20 year financial obligation of the father since the mother is only responsible for the husband for 3 years.
If they both want to immigrate, that is a pretty stupid way to do it. Even so, it's allowed.

screech339 said:
The sponsor would only have to maintain LICO requirement of family of 3 instead of 4? (sponsor, spouse, mother) instead of sponsor, spouse, mother, father). Plus no income requirement for mother to sponsor her husband. But income requirement to sponsor the father.
Incorrect. Non-accompanying dependents are still included in the LICO calculation. There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse; however, spousal applicants must demonstrate to CIC that they can adequately support themselves without welfare. If CIC believes a couple can't support themselves, which is very likely if they are older, retired and not intending to work, don't speak much or any English etc., then they WILL refuse the spousal app on financial grounds.

screech339 said:
Do you honestly think CIC is going to allow the sponsor to sponsor only one parent and not the other for PR? I can understand the non-accompanying applying to children but to spouses? This would be no difference in not declaring the spouse at landing and then sponsoring the spouse for PR after.
Yes, CIC allows this. It is VERY DIFFERENT than not declaring a spouse because the non-accompanying spouse must still be included and pass all necessary checks for the immigrating spouse to be approved.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I don't know if one can sponsor only one parent.

But wouldn't it raise eyebrows @CIC when one parent wants PR but the other doesn't? You're applying to live permanently in Canada leaving your better half behind. In plain words, doesn't it indicate 'separation'?

Other thing one should bear in mind that one has to live 3 years out of 5 years in Canada after getting PR as part of citizenship requirement. And soon, the rule will change to 4 years out of 6 years. Isn't it too long for a parent to live w/o the other? :-X

cgel

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
Med's Request
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
05-04-2014
Thank you so much for your help guys. I really appreciate that. :) :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
If they both want to immigrate, that is a pretty stupid way to do it. Even so, it's allowed.

Incorrect. Non-accompanying dependents are still included in the LICO calculation. There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse; however, spousal applicants must demonstrate to CIC that they can adequately support themselves without welfare. If CIC believes a couple can't support themselves, which is very likely if they are older, retired and not intending to work, don't speak much or any English etc., then they WILL refuse the spousal app on financial grounds.

Yes, CIC allows this. It is VERY DIFFERENT than not declaring a spouse because the non-accompanying spouse must still be included and pass all necessary checks for the immigrating spouse to be approved.
If it is allowed, I can say for sure that it will raise some eyes at CIC or even raise a red flag. Remember by not including the other parent for PR, removes the 20 year obligation from the other. The parent can claim with a letter from the "son" or "daughter" that he/she will support the mother thus won't go on welfare. The mother can then sponsor her husband for PR. This again relives the sponsor of the 20 year obligation to the other parents, instead of to both parents.

Who is to say that the other parent passes medical now but won't come but become medical demanding at a later age and the mother as PR has the right to apply for her spouse for PR. Then then the medical excessive demand become exempt from the qualification. This sort of flies in the line of "waiting until you actually sick before buying insurance" or "having a car accident and then buying car insurance to cover the damage"

I still think this is a flaw in the parent sponsorship if they allow one parent to be sponsored for PR without the other parent.

Screech339

kaiser72

Dec 1, 2014
screech339 said:
Your spouse can be your co-signer so long as you meet the LICO requirement for total minimum income. Usually a co-signer is added when the sole sponsor does not meet the LICO minimum requirement, by him/herself. The co-signer can be added to help meet the LICO requirement of any given year.

Screech339

Thank you. Much appreciated. One follow up question regarding your statement "The co-signer can be added to help meet the LICO requirement of any given year." Does this mean that I can add co-signer any time during the application process? For instance, I will submit application in 2015 without co-signer. Then, in 2018 if I notice that my individual income would not meet LICO+30% requirement for 2018, can I add a co-signer at that time (in 2018)?

karamba

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Rossei said:
Put the minimum income of most recent taxation year (2013). I've verified it with CIC call centre agents.
So for Minimum necessary income we just pull the value from the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship
e.g. $46,354 for 3 people?

I'm curious why does CIC even ask this question if it's a fixed number? ??? They could just as easily look it up themselves based on family size.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kaiser72 said:
Thank you. Much appreciated. One follow up question regarding your statement "The co-signer can be added to help meet the LICO requirement of any given year." Does this mean that I can add co-signer any time during the application process? For instance, I will submit application in 2015 without co-signer. Then, in 2018 if I notice that my individual income would not meet LICO+30% requirement for 2018, can I add a co-signer at that time (in 2018)?
That I cannot answer. However I don't think you can add a co-signer after the application has been submitted. So if you think your income may drop below lico in the future years, then I think you need to have a co-signer added up front.

Screech339

kaiser72

Dec 1, 2014
screech339 said:
That I cannot answer. However I don't think you can add a co-signer after the application has been submitted. So if you think your income may drop below lico in the future years, then I think you need to have a co-signer added up front.

Screech339
Thank you. It makes sense.

isha94

Star Member
Dec 17, 2013
Incase our parents don't have exact date of birth or date of death of their parents and siblings...should we leave those boxes blank?

ipskang

Star Member
Feb 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2010
File Transfer...
24-06-2010
Passport Req..
23-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Form IMM1344E , In the Sponsoring eligibility assessment Section

Question 5: In the five years preceding application, did you become permanent resident after being sponsored as spouse, common-law or conjugal partner?

Mentioned in Guide that

If you answer “Yes” to any question between 5 and 15
You are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should not submit an application.

------------------------------------

That means If I am become permanent resident after being sponsored by spouse after Jan 1,2010 , I am not eligible to apply for my parents PR

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
screech339 said:
Who is to say that the other parent passes medical now but won't come but become medical demanding at a later age and the mother as PR has the right to apply for her spouse for PR. Then then the medical excessive demand become exempt from the qualification. This sort of flies in the line of "waiting until you actually sick before buying insurance" or "having a car accident and then buying car insurance to cover the damage"
Situation 1:

Both parents pass medical but only the mother immigrates. Non-accompanying father later develops medical problems, is sponsored by spouse, comes to Canada and accesses Canadian healthcare.

Situation 2:

Both parents pass the medical, both immigrate. Father later develops his medical problems and accesses Canadian healthcare.

Explain the difference.

KD Green

Dec 10, 2014
Hello All,

Need some advice on parents sponsorship. We are in kind of unique situation....

I got my Canadian PR (Spousal Sponsorship) on Nov 2014 while i was in Canada on Work Permit from 2010 onwards.

My question is can i sponsor my parents as i just got PR?

Income criteria is not a problem as me and wife(co signor) have adequate income to cover for the last three years. Form IMM1344 says " You cannot sponsor if you have been sponsored within the last five years". Can my wife be a primary sponsor (she is Canadian citizen) while i co sign.

Would appreciate your valuable comments. Thanks in advance.....

rg1234

Jan 24, 2014
Quick help needed as I am planning to sponsor my mother.

We do not have the birth certificate for my mother also she is not having the class 10 certificate or marksheet which has her birthdate. Is there an alternative option?

Please advise.