+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Parents and welfare - need guidance

bramptonian

Jul 21, 2018
Hi
I am a permanent resident. Currently my financial situation is such that the neighbourhood services told me to go on welfare. They said they will help me file an application with Ontario Works for the same since I'm not even eligible for a loan to pay my rent.
My problem is that my mother wants to become a PR and wants me to get her a visa. I did not tell her about my situation as she'll worry but did tell her that it would take time for me to get her to Canada.
I have two questions regarding this:
(1) If I temporarily go on welfare, will I be able to sponsor her in the future when I'm not on welfare and have sufficient finances?
(2) If not, would it be possible for me to get her a temporary (visitor) visa once I have sufficient funds?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Yes, you can sponsor in the future if you have been on welfare in the past. You just cannot be on welfare at the time you apply to sponsor.

Reactions: bramptonian

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It sounds like you may a somewhat recent arrival to Canada. @KBH is right you can sponsor your mother in the future. You should luck up the rules. Ontario works does not pay much so you should be looking for a job or two or three to get you on your feet and get some savings. Yo can always keep applying for your ideal job while working another job.

bramptonian

Jul 21, 2018
It sounds like you may a somewhat recent arrival to Canada. @KBH is right you can sponsor your mother in the future. You should luck up the rules. Ontario works does not pay much so you should be looking for a job or two or three to get you on your feet and get some savings. Yo can always keep applying for your ideal job while working another job.
I know it doesn't pay much. Thing is the job I was doing till recently hardly paid me and due to constantly changing shift schedules I wasn't able to take another job. (The reason I took it is because at the time of the interview they presented a different picture) I cannot do general labour jobs due to some health issues and wasn't able to get a rent loan based on my pay stub figures. It was then that I was told to go on welfare. I have been on the look for alternative jobs as I didn't want to go on welfare and have been actively applying. However, recently I lost the job I was doing and have not yet landed with a new one..., I need to pay rent. Hence I have recently started to consider welfare if it will not hurt my family in the future.

Last edited: