+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Parents 2023 - Help Filling Information for Dependents and Spouse

Ziad S.

Dec 12, 2014
Hi, I need some clarification on the following, as I'm filling out immigration forms through the portal to help my parents with their parents sponsorship application.

1. When adding dependents, do I need to include married children or those who are above the age limit and physically and mentally capable of working and supporting themselves, even if not accompanying parents to Canada, in the IMM-0008 application? If they should be included regardless what would be a good reason for each situation, for not accompanying the applicant?
  2. Now the most important and confusing question is, according to the instructions each parent will apply separately as a principal applicant, for example, when my father adds my mom (his spouse) should he indicate accompanying him to Canada and vice versa, or no, should he instead mention not accompanying me, as my mom will be submitting her own application as a principle applicant?
In regards to question 1 above, based on the application guide:
Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements below on the day we receive your complete application:

• they’re under 22 years old
  • they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner
Does this mean they will still need to be added regardless?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ziad S.

Dec 12, 2014
After doing some more digging looks like for parents one gets designated as the principal applicant and the second one will be added as a spouse (dependent).
As for the rest of the dependents (children), I'm still not sure if they will need to be included even if they don't qualify as dependents.

Please help me confirm the above. Thanks!