+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring parent while living partly outside Canada

mehmeh

Star Member
Jan 23, 2007
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of sponsoring my mom who is living in another country. I was told I have to be physically present in Canada when sponsoring a parent.

My question is: am I allowed to live with her for 6 months and stay in Canada for 6 months? Would it affect my sponsorship if my income for 6 months will not be able to meet the financial requirements?

My intention of living abroad is simply to accompany my mom as I felt sorry for leaving her by herself.

Thanks for any info you can share =)

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You need to meet all the sponsorship requirements - including the residence in Canada and minimum income requirement - both when you sponsor, and at all times up until your mom becomes a PR. The rules are quite clear.

That said, visits should be fine, but I wouldn't leave for 6 months, and you absolutely need to make sure you meet the income requirement on your tax return each year (together with the income of a co-signer if you have one). A month or two is probably OK, but if they discover you're outside Canada for 6 months, it's possible they will reassess your sponsorship and refuse the application.

Note that CIC is aware of how long it takes parental sponsorships, and has a policy of facilitating temporary residence visas for parents who are in the process of being sponsored, so they can spend longer-than-usual periods of time visiting Canada, so having your mom visit Canada for 6 months (while you continue working and meeting the sponsorship requirements) would be one option.

mehmeh

Star Member
Jan 23, 2007
Hi Matthewc,

Thanks for replying =).......I just have a follow-up question:

When you mentioned I needed to meet the financial requirement each year, do u literally meant "each year"? The problem is I'm supposed to visit my mom this year from April to June but was only able to come back this October due my mom got into an accident that I needed to extend my stay to take care of her. So it's almost 6 months I am absent from Canada and out of work.

I am expecting to hear from the immigration re my sponsorship by mid of 2012, so I plan to work the whole year of 2011 to be able to meet the requirements. But if they were gonna look into my 2010 income which for sure I will not be able to pass, do you think I still have chances for approval as a sponsor?

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Technically you need to meet the requirements at all times, but in reality you need to meet the requirements when they ask you to prove that you do.

You must meet the requirements when you apply to sponsor. If they ask you to demonstrate later that you still meet the requirements, then your last tax return better show sufficient income.

When did you apply to sponsor?

If you applied submitting your 2009 tax return with the original application, but they don't look at the sponsorship until 2012, then if they ask for updated proof, you would probably be OK as long as your 2011 tax return shows sufficient income. You might get away with not having sufficient income on your 2010 return.

It's a risky game, though, as in theory they can ask for updated information at any time.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I agree with the above poster. Recently, a friend was in the process of sponsoring his parents. He had applied in 2008 and at the time met the financial obligation. For 5 months, during 2009, he was unable to work due to personal things but then started a new job with a great salary.

Meanwhile, CIC asked for updated financial information for 2009. He did not meet the requirements and although he could prove that with his new job he more than met the obligations, CIC rejected his sponsorship application.

He is appealing and I believe he will win but it adds another couple of years to the whole process and added expense.

This does not always happen and like all immigration applications it depends on the IO reviewing the case at the time. Just be aware that CIC take your financial sponsorship very seriously.

mehmeh

Star Member
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks so much for taking time to reply and sharing your experience with me!

I submitted my application last Feb of 2009, just hope I won't hear from them during the year 2011 =)

calgary_eagle

Feb 18, 2015
mehmeh said:
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of sponsoring my mom who is living in another country. I was told I have to be physically present in Canada when sponsoring a parent.

My question is: am I allowed to live with her for 6 months and stay in Canada for 6 months? Would it affect my sponsorship if my income for 6 months will not be able to meet the financial requirements?

My intention of living abroad is simply to accompany my mom as I felt sorry for leaving her by herself.

Thanks for any info you can share =)
Hey Mehmeh, I am in a similar situation to you now as I sponsored my parents and need to leave canada for few years. Would you advice against it given you experience?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
calgary_eagle said:
Hey Mehmeh, I am in a similar situation to you now as I sponsored my parents and need to leave canada for few years. Would you advice against it given you experience?
If you go back through the user's old posts, you'll see this user made the choice to remain in Canada and was successful in bringing the mother to Canada on a TRV while the PR application was processed.

calgary_eagle

Feb 18, 2015
scylla said:
If you go back through the user's old posts, you'll see this user made the choice to remain in Canada and was successful in bringing the mother to Canada on a TRV while the PR application was processed.
You are right scylla. Although he did leave for 5 months or more before his stage 1 he didn't completely leave the country for years.
Thanks!