+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring only one parent

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Agree with.
But I don't think its selfish - because of 2 reason one they have window of 7000 more in this year for that same reason and IRCC should provide this info in written.
It is written that you need to meet income requirements for 3 preceding years. Even you know that you don't meet the requirements.

Oh yes. You can still apply after they invite you too even if you don't meet the requirements. And if you feel like you want to give it a try, by all means.

After all the only way to really get a proper answer is if you actually send in a full application with application fees and all. If you don't plan to apply with fees then why even bother to take up a spot in the 27,000 and waste your time and everyone else's time.

So yeah if you are planning to pay fees and try an application, I'd say that isn't being selfish. But if you are not then that's very selfish and wasting everyone's time.

Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
It is written that you need to meet income requirements for 3 preceding years. Even you know that you don't meet the requirements.

Oh yes. You can still apply after they invite you too even if you don't meet the requirements. And if you feel like you want to give it a try, by all means.
One of my friend like to sponsor his parents - current his wife is pregnant with due in March.
Should he consider Himself + his wife + parents (2) and + upcoming baby = 5 ? for all 3 years ? And if so, how he will be responsible for that baby which is not on those years for last 3 years financially.
And I know they take 3 years tax and make sure you can handle your family with your parents for next 20 years, but where it is written that you have to count those people who are not here yet or was not there in those years ?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
One of my friend like to sponsor his parents - current his wife is pregnant with due in March.
Should he consider Himself + his wife + parents (2) and + upcoming baby = 5 ? for all 3 years ? And if so, how he will be responsible for that baby which is not on those years for last 3 years financially.
And I know they take 3 years tax and make sure you can handle your family with your parents for next 20 years, but where it is written that you have to count those people who are not here yet or was not there in those years ?
You have to count the baby as part of family number if he/she is born BEFORE you send in application. If the baby is not born yet when you apply then baby is not counted.

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
You have to count the baby as part of family number if he/she is born BEFORE you send in application. If the baby is not born yet when you apply then baby is not counted.
For all 3 years, correct ?
He ask this question on twitter, let see what they reply.

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
It's a grey area according to my lawyer. It might be plus baby for the year she is born but without baby for years before baby was born.
So in that case, my question was in old post - why it is different for marriage ?
I got married in 2017, so for 2017 and 2018 I can consider 4 members (me + my wife + both parents) but for 2016 why can't I consider 3 members only (without wife) ?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
So in that case, my question was in old post - why it is different for marriage ?
I got married in 2017, so for 2017 and 2018 I can consider 4 members (me + my wife + both parents) but for 2016 why can't I consider 3 members only (without wife) ?
I am not sure. You might want to consult a lawyer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Were you able to apply for one parent?
You can certainly sponsor only one parent. However you must have enough income to cover both and the non-accompanying spouse still has to complete the medical and provide PCCs.

NS0010

Oct 9, 2021
You can certainly sponsor only one parent. However you must have enough income to cover both and the non-accompanying spouse still has to complete the medical and provide PCCs.
I want to apply just for my mom. I applied for an interest for both my parents last year. I got an invite this year. My father doesn’t want to come and he is not answering my calls. Basically I have no contact with him. My mom has been staying with me for 7 months in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I want to apply just for my mom. I applied for an interest for both my parents last year. I got an invite this year. My father doesn’t want to come and he is not answering my calls. Basically I have no contact with him. My mom has been staying with me for 7 months in Canada.
Are your parents divorced?

Or legally separated?

Or have they been living separately at different addresses for several years?

NS0010

Oct 9, 2021
Are your parents divorced?

Or legally separated?

Or have they been living separately at different addresses for several years?
They aren’t divorced or legally separated. My father refused to sign on divorce papers. My mom has been living with me for past 7 months and my father is back home.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They aren’t divorced or legally separated. My father refused to sign on divorce papers. My mom has been living with me for past 7 months and my father is back home.
Did they share the same address / live together in their home country before your mother traveled to Canada?

If so, then you may have trouble convincing IRCC that they are truly separated. But you can certainly try.

NS0010

Oct 9, 2021
Did they share the same address / live together in their home country before your mother traveled to Canada?

If so, then you may have trouble convincing IRCC that they are truly separated. But you can certainly try.
Thank you for replying!
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1541&top=14
According to this scenario, if I say I have no contact with my father.
They did live together, to separate from him my mom came to live with me. She has a bank account here as all.

Reactions: rubz9911

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for replying!
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1541&top=14
According to this scenario, if I say I have no contact with my father.
They did live together, to separate from him my mom came to live with me. She has a bank account here as all.
Generally this scenario is used where the husband and wife have been living separately for years but aren't actually divorced - and the address of one of the spouses is unknown.

Your situation is a bit different. But give it a try and hope for the best.