+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring one parent

mt_00

Oct 13, 2020
Hi there, I had a few questions regarding parental sponsorship based on my scenario. I became a PR a couple of years ago and throughout my immigration experiences up until that point I had declared both parents. At this time, I am financially qualified to sponsor for a family size of 3 (one parent and my younger sister who is a dependant under 22 years of age). If I do not declare my other parent at this time, I understand my ability to sponsor them in the future is almost impossible. My questions are:

- would this impact the ability for my undeclared parent to visit Canada with the super visa?
- would my other sister who is currently in Canada be able to sponsor my undeclared parent when she is eligible to sponsor via the family class?

I see a lot of conflicting information about the absolute requirement to declare both parents in the family size, and so any input from people who've gone through a similar experience would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So to be clear, unless your parents are divorced or legally seperated or one of them is already passed, you cannot calculate your income to sponsor one of them. Supervisa is a separate application so there is no impact. Your sister should sponsor both parents when she is eligible to sponsor.

Reactions: mashulia_26

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
So to be clear, unless your parents are divorced or legally seperated or one of them is already passed, you cannot calculate your income to sponsor one of them. Supervisa is a separate application so there is no impact. Your sister should sponsor both parents when she is eligible to sponsor.
Sister wouldn't be able to sponsor since she would be sponsored to Canada as a dependent on her parents.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
IRCC will want to see proof that your other parent is deceased, divorced or legally separated. It’s not as simple as not declaring them. You would also be guilty of misrepresentation and all that includes for both you and your parents and sibling.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sister wouldn't be able to sponsor since she would be sponsored to Canada as a dependent on her parents.
It was not clear whether there's another sister older than 22 that can sponsor the parents when she's eligible.